Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing UK 230V Appliances to Canada

Bringing UK 230V Appliances to Canada

Old Jan 19th 2015, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Re: Bringing UK 230V Appliances to Canada

I've gone back and forth over the pond a few times and have taken Canadian stuff to the UK and UK stuff to Canada. Much of the modern stuff will work on dual voltage and it's just a case of changing the plugs. Hint: plugs in Canada are usually moulded on to the wires so you'll need to hunt around a bit to find actual plugs. Wal-mart has some.

The main thing is hairdryers and clocks. Hairdryers fry themselves instantly in a shower of sparks (entertaining to watch). And clocks run slower or faster depending on which side they're from, due to frequency differences. Otherwise I have run UK TVs in Canada and a (huge) Canadian Fridge in the UK with no issues. I did find that for some reason my Canadian power tools batteries died fairly quickly in the UK. Not sure what was going on.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:29 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I hope this picture comes out OK. Maybe worth noting, I don't use this with anything fancy, just drills, jug saw etc. Also used to power the water pressure washer until I bought a monster petrol one.
Looks like a decent setup- if I had enough 240v powertool I'd do something similar. Best price I could get on the plug was a tad over $40 though.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:11 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Looks like a decent setup- if I had enough 240v powertool I'd do something similar. Best price I could get on the plug was a tad over $40 though.
Bought it a few years ago now.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

ExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this picture comes out OK. Maybe worth noting, I don't use this with anything fancy, just drills, jug saw etc. Also used to power the water pressure washer until I bought a monster petrol one.
Great, thanks for the photo. I imagined something similar. PMing you for more details. I might try to buy a 10-50p plug and get it shipped over here and build this before I move (in April)
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

ExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
if it will work on 50/60hz then the 220v circuit isn't going to be to much of a probelm

if its a motor and its for horse power then 50hz -> 60hz isn;t often an issue

but!! if its a clock circiut and timing is important then 50hz to 60hz isn't going to work

if you're not sure what I'm on about then just don't do it, or google elsewhere untill you're sure
I think I know what you mean, but perhaps you can clarify. The main things I'd be running are things like a food processor (motor)... breadmachine (motor and heating element)... your basic small kitchen appliances. The bread machine has a digital clock on it, but I am not sure if that would be affected?
Old Jan 19th 2015, 7:12 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatCanadian
I think I know what you mean, but perhaps you can clarify. The main things I'd be running are things like a food processor (motor)... breadmachine (motor and heating element)... your basic small kitchen appliances. The bread machine has a digital clock on it, but I am not sure if that would be affected?
Nothing to do with the 220v supply in my garage, but my wife, kids and myself used a UK bread maker today with a transformer to make pizza dough for the playdate crowd and cinnamon bun dough for us all too. I would like to say that the bread maker cost 100gbp back in the day - which is a lot cheaper than a step up converter; oh and yes it has some sort of timer clock thing on it.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Nothing to do with the 220v supply in my garage, but my wife, kids and myself used a UK bread maker today with a transformer to make pizza dough for the playdate crowd and cinnamon bun dough for us all too. I would like to say that the bread maker cost 100gbp back in the day - which is a lot cheaper than a step up converter; oh and yes it has some sort of timer clock thing on it.
Just for kicks, I thought I'd check out step up transformers to see what would be available at what cost. I think I may have found the perfect solution... at a reasonable cost... check these out:

Voltage Converters - Voltage Transformers and Converter

The 2 things I really don't want to have to repurchase are the breadmaker (it's a model that is unavailable in North America) and my food processor (top of the line Magimix/Robot Coupe... expensive to replace!). The food processor is 1100W... the breadmaker only 550W. So for $75 I can get myself a 1500W Step Up and all should be good

Anyone spot any flaws with this plan?
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:30 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

If you build Rivington's 13amp extension strip and plop a 240v split phase plug on it at least you can argue it's a portable appliance rather than part of the house wiring. And it's not a bad thing to have all of your kitchen kit in one place on the worktop.

Buy the 13amp strip in UK (get the best most expensive one you can) and wire the Canadian split phase plug on here.

You might need an extra 240v receptacle wired into the house though. Typically they're only at the stove and the drier- thus already used. Though in my kitchen when replacing a standard duplex with a GFI (RCD) one as it was about 1' away from the sink, I was startled to find 240v there- the second hot was just bare hanging there waiting to go bang! (it's now capped off with a marette).
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:12 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Sorry, just re-read my post. I meant to say the voltage converter was significantly cheaper than the bread maker! We've got a 1500w one for the kitchen too.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone know if the 50Hz vs 60Hz difference is going to matter much to the electric motors in things like breadmakers and food processors? My Magimix food processor uses a pretty high end induction motor... one of the selling features of it, so much so that it's got a 20 year warranty on the motor itself. But... it seems if I run this at 60Hz, it's going to be running 20% faster.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone know if the 50Hz vs 60Hz difference is going to matter much to the electric motors in things like breadmakers and food processors? My Magimix food processor uses a pretty high end induction motor... one of the selling features of it, so much so that it's got a 20 year warranty on the motor itself. But... it seems if I run this at 60Hz, it's going to be running 20% faster.
Hmmm.... I've just done some Googling, and found a French version of my Magimix manual and spotted this line:

Puissance/ Voltage/ Fréquence 1100 W / 220 V / 50-60Hz

This seems positive! Might not care about the frequency, as long as I am supplying 220!
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:31 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Hmmm.... I've just done some Googling, and found a French version of my Magimix manual and spotted this line:

Puissance/ Voltage/ Fréquence 1100 W / 220 V / 50-60Hz

This seems positive! Might not care about the frequency, as long as I am supplying 220!
The frequency thing, even if it is a factor with our bread maker, doesn't seem to make any difference to the dough it makes.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Just for kicks, I thought I'd check out step up transformers to see what would be available at what cost. I think I may have found the perfect solution... at a reasonable cost... check these out:

Voltage Converters - Voltage Transformers and Converter

The 2 things I really don't want to have to repurchase are the breadmaker (it's a model that is unavailable in North America) and my food processor (top of the line Magimix/Robot Coupe... expensive to replace!). The food processor is 1100W... the breadmaker only 550W. So for $75 I can get myself a 1500W Step Up and all should be good

Anyone spot any flaws with this plan?
I have two of the 1500W ones. They are awesome.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
If you build Rivington's 13amp extension strip and plop a 240v split phase plug on it at least you can argue it's a portable appliance rather than part of the house wiring. And it's not a bad thing to have all of your kitchen kit in one place on the worktop.

Buy the 13amp strip in UK (get the best most expensive one you can) and wire the Canadian split phase plug on here.

You might need an extra 240v receptacle wired into the house though. Typically they're only at the stove and the drier- thus already used. Though in my kitchen when replacing a standard duplex with a GFI (RCD) one as it was about 1' away from the sink, I was startled to find 240v there- the second hot was just bare hanging there waiting to go bang! (it's now capped off with a marette).
Hey Pizzawheel... just a quick one... how do I deal with the split 110V lives in the 10-50 plug? There will only be a single live within the cord on the UK power bar... so going to one or the other prong is only going to give me 110v right?
Old Jan 20th 2015, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xxdb
I have two of the 1500W ones. They are awesome.
Great, Unless I can figure out how to safely make up an adapter I think I'm going to buy one... although I am considering the more expensive Krieger 1700W.... smaller, lighter, UL certified and a 5 year warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.