Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing household goods into Canada

Bringing household goods into Canada

Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing household goods into Canada

Originally Posted by Taffanada
Wow that long........... I better get started!!!!!!!!!!!
I will phone them tomorrow

See how crazy it is when I phoned a few weeks ago they said 8 to 10 months........
maybe they thought you meant spousal sponsorship. That is 8 to 10 months, nowhere near that for parents! Ah, the good old misinformation line, it never fails to give out duff info!

You can keep an eye on current processing times here - Processing Times: Family Sponsorship

So 40 months for first stage, then add on processing times for the visa office your mother would apply via.

Iirc you've been in Canada for decades? So no need to wait to meet the lico requirements to sponsor her at least.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Taffanada is an unknown quantity at this point

that's for sure yes, but it's a multiple entry for 10 years then maybe they can apply for PR Family class.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

that's for sure yes, but it's a multiple entry for 10 years then maybe they can apply for PR Family class.
It is, but there's no right to stay beyond the 2 years granted. Think of it as something that allows your mum to knock on Canada's door for up to 10 years and ask to be allowed in - it's up to the border officer as to whether to admit her or not, and having a 10 year visa doesn't mean she can automatically stay for 10 years.

Just like with any kind of temporary visa, one can hope to be allowed to stay longer, but it's not automatic. PR is the only way to be able to stay permanently, but due to the lengthy processing times the super visa was introduced for longer interim visits - but note it is only ever a visitor visa.

If your mum thinks she might want to stay longer term, I'd get a PR app in for her ASAP, particularly given the processing times.

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Yes I do know that & this time ( her first time with super visa) she was granted 2 years even though he had asked her how long have you been out here know ( almost 6 months)
He said to me why do you want your mother here??? ( I found that odd but told him the truth ) that I wonted my mother to live here permanently with me as Im an only child.
He came back & said Im granting you 2 years so you can get your paper work ready.
I really didn't think my Mother would get that long to be totally honest with you.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes I do know that & this time ( her first time with super visa) she was granted 2 years even though he had asked her how long have you been out here know ( almost 6 months)
He said to me why do you want your mother here??? ( I found that odd but told him the truth ) that I wonted my mother to live here permanently with me as Im an only child.
He came back & said Im granting you 2 years so you can get your paper work ready.
I really didn't think my Mother would get that long to be totally honest with you.
That's great. 2 years is normal for the super visa though, but what an odd question from him!

Get her app in ASAP and hopefully she'll be able to stay. Which visa office will she apply via, is it London or a quicker one?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Well she is out here so Im assuming we will apply here in Canada....
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well she is out here so Im assuming we will apply here in Canada....
You will, yes, but her home visa office may be quicker than Ottawa (you can choose either one). Look at the processing times above and compare her home visa office (i.e. London if she's a UK citizen) to processing times in Ottawa. Some are half, or less, the processimg time of Ottawa.

So when you do the app you'd specify which visa office you want to process her app, depending on where's quicker.

HTH.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Oldkingcol is an unknown quantity at this point

So,when my wire and I eventually set foot in Cochrane to join our son and his family,can we also apply for PR straight away?.
Also,we have heard that you can renew the super visa on line!,is that true?,if it isn't,and we have to renew the visa another way,do we have to literally go OUT of the country and come back in again!!?.how do we go about that,and what's the easiest way from Cochrane Alberta?.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

You can apply inside or outside Canada.
I live not far from your son & we went across the coutts border crossing
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know anything about the coutts border crossing,I suppose that straddles America does it?,and when you say apply in Canada do you mean for the visa to be renewed,and PR?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Oldkingcol
So,when my wire and I eventually set foot in Cochrane to join our son and his family,can we also apply for PR straight away?.
Also,we have heard that you can renew the super visa on line!,is that true?,if it isn't,and we have to renew the visa another way,do we have to literally go OUT of the country and come back in again!!?.how do we go about that,and what's the easiest way from Cochrane Alberta?.
1. No. The Gr/Parents will open in January for the first 5K applications, the spaces go in about a week. You have to meet the LICO + 30% to meet the financial requirements.
2. You can renew the SV on line through Vegreville
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Great,now we know thanks.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Yes you can apply for PR in Canada.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not a problem from a border officer point of view , that's not what I meant.

I just meant that selling up as if it's a permanent move when the visa is only valid for 2 years is a heck of a risk.
Just read this thread. Hubby and I had a similar conversation earlier today. We put our house in the US on the market last summer...didn't expect to sell it until this year but it sold immediately. When we activated our SV the IO asked about our home...we told him the truth...that it had been sold. We also said we had applied for PR via our daughter. If PR didn't work out or if we decided we couldn't settle in Canada then we would either to back to the UK or US.

I realize that the terms of the SV is that one maintains ties to their home country...but for many that is just not realistic. What if a person lived in rental accommodation...are they expected to pay rent for 2 years?
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Concerning the 10 year super visa,my wife got hers before me,and sure enough it expires in 2024. I've now officially got mine,but it expires in 2010!!!,apparently because my passport date expires then!.
I can see the tidy thinking about this,but would have thought that I would have been granted a 10 year visa,same as my wife,as I would have had to renew my pass port any way.Is it worth challenging?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.