Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing antique clock to Canada as Canadian citizen

Bringing antique clock to Canada as Canadian citizen

Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Bringing antique clock to Canada as Canadian citizen

I recently inherited an old (probably antique) wall clock that used to belong to my gran back in the UK, and would like to bring it to Canada. I’ve been here over 7 years now and have duel British and Canadian citizenship. Ideally I’d like my parents to bring it over when they come this summer but failing that, I’d like to bring it next time I’m in the uk.

Several questions:
Can my parents bring it for me as hand luggage? I’m guessing probably not
Should I get it need to be valued in the uk before I bring it here?
Will I be charged import due or similar and any idea how much?
Is there a better way of getting it over here?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing antique clock to Canada as Canadian citizen

It may qualify as a bequest so read this link as to what is needed

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-1-5-eng.html

You could have it appraised if you wish.
Depending on size and weight that might be a determining factor as to how to get it to Canada. Dependent on how sentimental the item is you might decide its not worth the hassle bringing it or is it worth it.