Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bit of help over rules with Canadians visiting Europe

Bit of help over rules with Canadians visiting Europe

Old Oct 23rd 2016, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bit of help over rules with Canadians visiting Europe

Hi all

I posted a few weeks ago that we are planning to go to the UK/Gibraltar/few days in Spain next year for about two weeks. We will probably:

Fly to the UK
Fly to Gibraltar
Possibly stay just over the border in Spain if we can't find accommodation we want in Gibraltar
Spend a few days in Spain in any case
Spend a few days in the UK before flying back to Canada

All of us have British passports except my daughter's boyfriend. I am not completely clear on the rules other than I understand a Europe visit can be up to 3 months for a Canadian so that's no problem. But what about entries and exits between those times i.e. Gibraltar/Spain; two entries to the UK etc.? I know he needs an additional three months validity on his passport beyond his intended departure date.

And when we arrive in the UK I was planning to have us all go through the EU line as one party, although if my daughter/boyfriend decide I am likely to be too embarrassing, they will take themselves through the non-EU line (they will both be aged 20 by then).

Does this all sound about right?

Thank you!
S
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of help over rules with Canadians visiting Europe

Yep You shouldn't have any problems. If your daughter is travelling on her UK passport she can go through either the non-eu or the eu line with her bf in Spain/Schengen, not sure about in the UK as I hear they are more strict there about non-EUs using the EU line and vice versa.

With proof of itinerary and flight tickets the bf shouldn't have a problem going back and forth between Spain/Gib/UK, rest of you no problems as UK/EU citizens so they won't ask questions.

Chances are the BF can just come with you in the EU line and they won't ask questions since he is travelling with other EU citizens. That's what its been in my experience the last 2 years. 2015 just me on an EU passport with my family on Canadian, 2016 me and my grandparents on EU ones my cousins on Canadian, both times we just went through the EU line as it was shorter.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I am sure I am over thinking it.

They will probably just go through the non EU line together (as we all will be soon enough in the next few years so might as well get used to it ) . They will be far too embarrassed to go in the queue with us.

S
Old Oct 24th 2016, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Thanks I am sure I am over thinking it.

They will probably just go through the non EU line together (as we all will be soon enough in the next few years so might as well get used to it ) . They will be far too embarrassed to go in the queue with us.

S
Originally thought bolded was about naturalising as Canadians and using Canadian passports to go to the EU/UK, I was going to say just keep using your UK passport but then I remembered Brexit. Indeed

Good luck and safe trip anyways, sure you'll be fine.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict