Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bill C-6 Citizenship act

Bill C-6 Citizenship act

Old May 19th 2016, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bill C-6 Citizenship act

So as part of the elections platform the liberals promised to amend Bill C-24 which has some slightly controversial aspects.

2 days ago I would have been eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship prior to bill C-24 so its something I have a vested interested in

I though it would take years but it looks like Bill C-6 has just passed it's third reading on May 17th.

Has anyone been following this? There must be others who will immediately become eligible to apply for Citizenship if this new bill passes.
Could it pass this year maybe?

As someone who travels alot for work, I've often felt a bit trapped by only being a PR and turned down job opportunitys as I don't want to risk losing my PR Status.

I've been pretty unhappy with my lot recently and that coupled with a bad breakup I would also like to go home to the UK for a bit but can wait this out if the changes may happen soon.
The freedom that would come with being a citizen well priceless
Old May 20th 2016, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bill C-6 Citizenship act

Well, the minister hopes to get it in law by July this year, but the senate doesn't have to play ball of course.
After that, expect them to take a bit of time to plan and bring new conditions into effect.
I'll have a guess and say July 2017 before the 3yr rule actually applies.

Last edited by enak; May 20th 2016 at 1:35 am. Reason: typo
Old May 22nd 2016, 4:53 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

You are right tee1, the Bill C-6 is making its way pretty fast through the Parliament which is good news, but the actual test will come when it goes to the Senate where the majority of the house is still Conservatives. I heard the media approached some of the Conservative senators for comment soon after this bill passed the second reading in the Parliament but they declined to say if they will support it or not.

One commentator also said that the government does not have to sign it into law straight away because they are cautious that it may increase the backlog since new citizenship applications from those who qualify will probably shoot up all at once.

I am sorry to hear that you went through problems problems. I hope you are coping well buddy
Old May 23rd 2016, 12:09 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few people who were impacted by this...me, for one A woman I know was 18 days away from being able to apply for citizenship when it all changed. Although with the change to four years, I would think that lots of people have now nearly added on the extra year, dependent of course on how much they travel. So there's going to be quite a backlog of applications coming down the pipe in any event.