The big move

Old Jun 25th 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The big move

Originally Posted by Ashley91
I have seen this woman's post and I do have some of the same worries and questions, however I am not the same woman, I wasn't going to watch her thread for answers when I can have my own and be notified when someone responds saves myself lots of time, i think when you have kids your main questions are about safety and schooling and healthcare.
It is useful to look through other threads as it gives you a better view of things, plus stuff might come up which doesn't on your own thread, hence why I recommended reading the start of ABD's thread, just not the hysterical, ranting, arm waving, flouncing end. Not sure that bit is useful to anyone.

Nah, my main worries were where the local liquor store is, whether I can use the "he's coming right for us" excuse to shoot my neighbour (or set my dog on him) and where I can get stick on body diamante hearts. A girl's gotta have priorities
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen this woman's post and I do have some of the same worries and questions, however I am not the same woman, I wasn't going to watch her thread for answers when I can have my own and be notified when someone responds saves myself lots of time, i think when you have kids your main questions are about safety and schooling and healthcare.
Isn't your main worry about how and if you will qualify for immigration status? A question I don't think you've answered? cross that bridge first, perhaps?
Old Jun 25th 2017, 4:35 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is one of the safest countries on planet earth, some would say it is so safe that life becomes boring.

My children used to play on the street just as I did in the late 70's early 80's, I had no worries whatsoever about humans causing them harm. I was more worried that they would run into a bear cub and get chased by the Mum.

The Schools that my children attended were great, education is very comparable to the UK system. Of course you always get the odd 'bad child' who disrupts the class, but generally I have found the students at my children's School very well behaved.

Healthcare was rather worrying for us at the start, there was (and still is) a huge GP shortage in my area of BC. Once you move up the waiting list and eventually get a Dr, it's just the same as being back in the UK. Long waiting list for specialized hospital appointments etc but the emerg department functions fine.

Some say life is boring in Canada, some say it's like how the UK was 30 years ago. I didn't move here for a fast pace of life so this is fine by me.

However my 21 year old Son moved to Vancouver and is having a blast, lots of live music, pub nights with work mates, and the best selection of food in BC. (those are his top priorities not mine )

Last edited by Danny B; Jun 25th 2017 at 5:26 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Ashley91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Isn't your main worry about how and if you will qualify for immigration status? A question I don't think you've answered? cross that bridge first, perhaps?
We do qualify for immigration so that isn't a worry, the other things were my concern,
Old Jun 25th 2017, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Ashley91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
[/B]

Canada is one of the safest countries on planet earth, some would say it is so safe that life becomes boring.

My children used to play on the street just as I did in the late 70's early 80's, I had no worries whatsoever about humans causing them harm. I was more worried that they would run into a bear cub and get chased by the Mum.

The Schools that my children attended were great, education is very comparable to the UK system. Of course you always get the odd 'bad child' who disrupts the class, but generally I have found the students at my children's School very well behaved.

Healthcare was rather worrying for us at the start, there was (and still is) a huge GP shortage in my area of BC. Once you move up the waiting list and eventually get a Dr, it's just the same as being back in the UK. Long waiting list for specialized hospital appointments etc but the emerg department functions fine.

Some say life is boring in Canada, some say it's like how the UK was 30 years ago. I didn't move here for a fast pace of life so this is fine by me.

However my 21 year old Son moved to Vancouver and is having a blast, lots of live music, pub nights with work mates, and the best selection of food in BC. (those are his top priorities not mine )
This is really good hearing this! We have a little wait for gps just now in Scotland and we have to wait for hospital apts so this is good to hear it sounds very similar to here, we aren't moving over for a fast pace life either so this is grand for us the city isn't far away either if we ever fancied a fast pace night etc. Thank you
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

We do qualify for immigration so that isn't a worry, the other things were my concern,
Which immigration scheme are you coming under? Is it going to be PR or TWP?
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:21 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
A saint and a newf, is it like Clash of the Titans on a cuddlier scale at yours'?
Yes! Exactly, I asked a contractor the other day of he was OK with big dogs or if he wanted me to tell Fluff to wait in the kitchen and he said not to worry as he was used to big dogs, when he saw Fluff he said "I'm used to big dogs, not whatever zoo that escaped from!"
I googled Ovcharka to remind myself what Fluff might look like- they look like there is a weird perspective thing going on-the dog appears massive as it is closer to the lens than the owner- in this case though they are not, they are indeed massive! If he wanted to go one way, and you wanted to go another, I know who would win At least they see off bears if needs be

I do love Newfies- I'm surprised about them drooling more than Saint Bernards- I think I will stick with Goldens. Sorry about the drift Ashley....
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I googled Ovcharka to remind myself what Fluff might look like .....
OMG! .... I presume that they are not predominantly owned by dwarfs?
Old Jun 25th 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
A saint and a newf, is it like Clash of the Titans on a cuddlier scale at yours'?
Yes! Exactly, I asked a contractor the other day of he was OK with big dogs or if he wanted me to tell Fluff to wait in the kitchen and he said not to worry as he was used to big dogs, when he saw Fluff he said "I'm used to big dogs, not whatever zoo that escaped from!"
I googled Ovcharka to remind myself what Fluff might look like- they look like there is a weird perspective thing going on-the dog appears massive as it is closer to the lens than the owner- in this case though they are not, they are indeed massive! If he wanted to go one way, and you wanted to go another, I know who would win At least they see off bears if needs be

I do love Newfies- I'm surprised about them drooling more than Saint Bernards- I think I will stick with Goldens. Sorry about the drift Ashley....
It's funny when people with 50/60lb dogs think they have a big dog...then they meet mine. lol

I too googled Ovcharka. Very cute, lots of hair like my Newf!

As for the drool, Saints have a reputation of drooling but mine never does. Even when she is amorously watching us eat something she wants. But OMG The Newf drools like crazy and you have to watch out when she decides to have a shake...drool goes everywhere...
Old Jun 25th 2017, 11:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is really good hearing this! We have a little wait for gps just now in Scotland and we have to wait for hospital apts so this is good to hear it sounds very similar to here
I've been in and around Toronto for a long time and have some children so I've had reason to attend the emergency department numerous times. A month or so ago I was in England when my mother, who is not young, cut her leg and needed taking to emergency.

I was a bit taken aback how similar it was, a triage nurse, a curtained space to wait for the doctor, signage about respecting the staff, a doctor from the middle east or from India (one of each in our case in England), decent turnaround (out in three hours) about which the patient complains. The only significant difference I would say is that in Canada the patient leaves with a prescription for which he or she must pay while, in England, the patient leaves with a package of drugs.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 6:55 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo...maybe not Lethbridge

Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo...maybe not Lethbridge
Odd looking vehicle. Made me think of one of those helicopters from the old TV show stripped down and converted.

Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

justme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond repute

Myself and my partner are looking at moving over to the Calgary area, I am just wondering on a few questions I can't seem to find the answers too on Google, we have two children (7 & 3) and currently there education is primary p3 after the summer and starting nursery after the summer, I was wondering if the a school class would roughly be the same in respect to what they are in just now. Also what the healthcare is like? we live in Scotland have the nhs which is great. And gun crime I am aware Canada and America are very different but I can't help but worry about guns and the crime rate with them, do the schools have a search policy like the Americans and gun drills for the kids incase there is a incident involving then? We don't want to live in the city looking about half an hour to hour and a half away. My biggest fear is snakes I cannot stand the thought of them being in my house It is something that niggl2a in my head and I would like to know the likely hood of seeing them on a day to day basis Is it much like Scotland where we have the odd one or two but they are in the hills far Way or I'm I looking at them being in my garden at...?It isn't enough to stop myself from making the move but it is deffiently something I need to prepare myself for, we don't want to live out in the sticks so I'm hoping this helps with that area of animals. Thanks in advance
Ps our education for school and high school is free is this the same or do you need to pay?
Canada and gun crime aren't actually a thing... unless you live in Surrey
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Since the subject of security in North American schools cropped up I thought it worth mentioning this.

All secondary schools in London to be offered knife detectors