Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by samjr400
Yes it was for a 40 foot.

We have had another one for £6600 from Masons. GB are coming next week. We are also going to look at the self pack options too. All our prices will be up next week though as Masons told me to ring them next week as freight charges increase after 1st March - bummer!
I will be very interested to know how you get on with GB next week. Can you let us know on this thread or PM me?

We too have just had a quote from Masons: £4725 for a 20' filled to the max.
Our quote from Abels is £1000 more than Masons. BUT, we were very impressed with them, so we might try to get them down.

Do removal companies normally come down on their quotes by much?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
I will be very interested to know how you get on with GB next week. Can you let us know on this thread or PM me?

Our quote from Abels is £1000 more than Masons. BUT, we were very impressed with them, so we might try to get them down.

We moved with GB, excellent service so far, our container arrived and the lady (Bev) from the handling company this end, rang us, and gave us full instructions on what to do with customs, as our stuff was going into storage for a few months she asked if there was anything we wanted out of it for now, so we went and collected our bikes.

We move next weekend, so that will be D day, I am hoping that it unwraps as it was wrapped!! Will let you know.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wavetossed
I remember an earlier post where someone was upset with company x because the goods did not sail when they said that they would. It seemed that the person thought that the removals company had their own boat, or that there were guaranteed slots on the boat.
Well, I'm guessing that was my post. If so, I wasn't under any illusion about the process but when a company says to me "We can get your stuff on a container that is sailing in 10 days" then I expect it to be on it rather than shipping 50 days later. I don't care who they use or how they do it but my contract is with them and many of the posts on this thread are relating to unfulfilled expectations. My mistake was in getting taken in by that and not getting the info written into the contract. I'd even go as far as to say that I was tricked by EVL into signing up with them on the back of a promise that they had little or no intention of keeping because it wasn't in the contract and therefore couldn't be enforced.

The shipping industry seems to have a huge way to go to just meet peoples expectations and be transparent. Customer service is appalling and the evidence here is that it is the majority rather than the minority of cases.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will let you know regarding GB. Sorry I don't know if they come down on their quotes might know in the next week or two - as we need to make a decision about shipping pretty quick.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Had GB liners round today, very impressed with them already and haven't received quote yet. Chap was very good at explaining everything to me. Reason I posted was to tell you about a web site where you can find independent reviews, it was on their booklets that the chap left with me.

www.referenceline.com

You can look up companies by name or by area. Hope you find it helpful. I'll let you know what they quote me when I find out.

Tracy
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

We are having GBliners on Wednesday so will post after they have been. Doree Bonner were very professional and their quote was reasonable. The chap who came from Fox didn't even know shipping times to Vancouver. In fact he didn't know the answer to any of our questions

This is a really helpful thread - although you will always get some anomalies, it does give you a rough idea who to avoid and who to try - thank you everyone!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We have had PSS in for the 4 days packing they anticipated. Our Container left last Friday and is apparently somewhere in the North Atlantic. They were very friendly and efficient. We fed them each lunchtime and treated them with respect and they were very accomodating to all our questions and pesterings. Amazing packing too.

I'll keep everybody up to date on our progress!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Hi, we've just used PSS and on the whole were ok. We got 6 quotes in the end, shortlisted PSS and Whites, got them both down in price but went with a gut feeling in the end.

The packers were great came in on Dec 29/30 and were two carefull, friendly guys. Worked quickly and efficiently, despite having to contend with 3 kids in the house who had only had their christmas presents for 4 days!! Absolutely no food items allowed as we thought, tea bags all went in suitcase and why did everyone give us chocolates for xmas when we were about to leave the country???

Container sailed on Jan 8 and arrived in Calgary on Jan 22, earlier than we anticipated. Initially this was good news, then problems started.

We were paid for a door to door sole use container, and were told we would get that, ie goods in container at your UK residence, sealed and unless opened at customs, the container would be unsealed and offloaded at your destination address- not the case.

We had arranged to take over rental property 10 days after our goods actually arrived, they turned up earlier than expected and we were then told by AMJ Campbell in Calgary we would get charged $115 USD a day by the shipping line for holding onto container, plus trucking co charges of $250 for delivery plus fuel surcharge plus $65 per hour after first 2 hours for offloading.

If you require their "period of possible free storage" you have to arrange it with PSS before you leave UK,( even though you don't know if you need it) we were told. In the end to get around this we had to pay AMJ Campbell over $420 handling charge to unload container into their warehouse and then they subcontracted a local company to reload and deliver. Fair enough, but lack of communication between parties involved meant we had numerous emails and telephone calls to UK at 2am to get it sorted. Nothing major damaged until the guys here tried to put a pine bed together with wrong fittings and split the frame.

At the end of the day I think the whole thing is just pot luck as there are so many different bits involved in the jigsaw. Good Luck
I haven't used this company but there have been many threads started regarding them. I have only ever read bad feed back. All seem to be similar experience to yours.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

We had GB Liners over last week but the guy said he would give us a quote AFTER 1st March - which is fair enough really. He was as good as AGS Fourwinds in terms of 'spiel' but went into more details about how they pack etc. He was very keen to list all the clients that use them as 'sole agent' such as John Lewis / Waitrose etc... I also like the fact that they park the 20ft container outside your house and pack it in front of your eyes....

I had to laugh when the guy said: "Gosh, we've been getting so many call outs for Canada recently, I wonder why that is..." So I told him it is probably all the positive comments on the web

In terms of partner agents on the Canadian side, he said they use Brytor - has anyone had experience of them? Also, are there other agents on the Canadian side that it would be worth trying to avoid?? Could help us make a decision in the end...that and the price of course - currently a £1300 difference between the highest and lowest quotes!!

Thanks

TM
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:55 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JasonnJane
hi
we have just moved to lethbridge alberta from NE England. We used EVL Shipping and they were fantastic. We did DIY shipping which cut the costs in half. We had sole use of a 40ft container door to door which only took 4 weeks and cost us 2800 (pounds). We would advise them to anyone and it does not matter where in the UK you live, they will come to you wherever you are
hi do you think they would deal with customers in the south east too . Any chance you could let me have their number thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:31 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Hi, we've just used PSS and on the whole were ok. We got 6 quotes in the end, shortlisted PSS and Whites, got them both down in price but went with a gut feeling in the end.

The packers were great came in on Dec 29/30 and were two carefull, friendly guys. Worked quickly and efficiently, despite having to contend with 3 kids in the house who had only had their christmas presents for 4 days!! Absolutely no food items allowed as we thought, tea bags all went in suitcase and why did everyone give us chocolates for xmas when we were about to leave the country???

Container sailed on Jan 8 and arrived in Calgary on Jan 22, earlier than we anticipated. Initially this was good news, then problems started.

We were paid for a door to door sole use container, and were told we would get that, ie goods in container at your UK residence, sealed and unless opened at customs, the container would be unsealed and offloaded at your destination address- not the case.

We had arranged to take over rental property 10 days after our goods actually arrived, they turned up earlier than expected and we were then told by AMJ Campbell in Calgary we would get charged $115 USD a day by the shipping line for holding onto container, plus trucking co charges of $250 for delivery plus fuel surcharge plus $65 per hour after first 2 hours for offloading.

If you require their "period of possible free storage" you have to arrange it with PSS before you leave UK,( even though you don't know if you need it) we were told. In the end to get around this we had to pay AMJ Campbell over $420 handling charge to unload container into their warehouse and then they subcontracted a local company to reload and deliver. Fair enough, but lack of communication between parties involved meant we had numerous emails and telephone calls to UK at 2am to get it sorted. Nothing major damaged until the guys here tried to put a pine bed together with wrong fittings and split the frame.

At the end of the day I think the whole thing is just pot luck as there are so many different bits involved in the jigsaw. Good Luck
Just to update....as we unpacked more of our stuff we found: shattered glass shelves in bathroom cabinets they just hadn't bothered to wrap, toy badly packed in box was broken so 7 year old not happy, teak garden dining table that we had spent bloomin' hours sanding and reoiling for customs covered in deep scratches (was wrapped so must have been unpackers), plus cast iron parasol base totally trashed. AMJ Campbell subcontracted Calcity Moving and although guys were friendly (even wore indoor shoes) end result was far from satisfactory. Now just awaiting response from insurance claim (make sure you photograph everything damaged)
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:43 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tracys
I've had quotes from PSS and the moving partnership so far. Going to get GB Liners and Pickfords to give us a quote too.

Chose moving partnership and GB Liners because of possitive feedback on here, and a friend used Pickfords when she emigrated to Alberta 3 years ago, said they were really good.

Tracy
hi Tracy just wondered how you got on with the quotes from moving partnership and gb liners im in Essex too near colchester and we are going to Toronto later in year any info would be great thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arniedog
hi Tracy just wondered how you got on with the quotes from moving partnership and gb liners im in Essex too near colchester and we are going to Toronto later in year any info would be great thanks
Hi,

Moving Partnership were a little bit cheaper than PSS although they didn't come out to survey, went on cubic feet I quoted. Assuming they would survey if I went with them, although I did quote the amount PSS said we had.

GB Liners came to survey, really nice chap, explained things in detail. He actually said we had more cubic feet than PSS but they are all quoting for 20 container even though we won't fill it. Apparently it's cheaper to have a sole container than part container when going to Halifax.

Got a letter from GBL this morning but no quote in the envelope although letter said it was enclosed

I rang the office who apologized and they are sending it out this pm, should get it tomorrow.

I'm going to call MP back with revised footage to see the difference in the price. When I get all the quotes in I will let you know the prices they quoted. At the moment my gut feeling is GBLiners although MP were very helpful on the telephone and got back to me re storage very quickly.

Tracy
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had GB here on Wed. Quote not through yet. The bloke that came around was far more helpful than Anglo and Masons. He spent a lot more time with us and by far preferred him. Just waiting for quote now.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tango Mike
We had GB Liners over last week but the guy said he would give us a quote AFTER 1st March - which is fair enough really.
All of the removal companies put their prices up each March 1st no wonder he wants to wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.