Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Originally Posted by JandG
I think the nature of International removals is such that if you look hard enough, every company will have someone bad-mouthing them because of a bad experience!
I certainly don't disagree but from my perspective, this thread is all about finding out which ones have more negative press for members experience. I'm mindful that people will usually post negative press far more often than positive; we rarely find the urge to rant about a great experience and less so about a generally satisfactory one; however, this forum and this thread in particular has provided what I consider to be a balanced view.

We selected EVL based on their reputation here, competitive price and because they told us that they had a shipment going out on the 22nd November which we would be on. Imagine our surprise to find that our stuff didn't ship until after Christmas. In their defence, they gave us the 13th Feb as a delivery date even for the 22nd Nov shipping date and it looks like they might actual make that. My beef in that aspect is that our stuff sat in their warehouse for much longer than it needed to rather than being with us.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Cancelled my appointment with anglopacific today. Told them it was because of negative feedback from people on internet and to be honest the lady didn't sound surprised. She said she would pass that on to the uk to nova scotia department.

Got two more companies coming to give us quotes though, picked because of the positive feedback on this thread.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ladylord
I'm simply conveying my experience, and feel that these are better than testimonials you read on their website. It's an expensive business to have possessions which are cared for over the years packed, stored and shipped. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a better service when you're promised it. Once items are damaged it's near impossible to get them back to their former glory, or even replaced. I can assure you that the service I received was sloppy and rushed. I have many photos showing this.
Forgive me - I wasn't suggesting for a moment that you hadn't had a bad experience with them. I was merely highlighting that for every bad experience there will be a good one and vice-versa...I am certain that there are some companies that get wrong more often than they get it right, but from what I have researched (on this forum) PSS are among the more reputable of companies, along with Fox's, Whites and many others that people have mentioned in this thread.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience...I can only imagine the upset that one must experience on opening their long awaiting boxes, etc to find damage and destruction...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JandG
Forgive me - I wasn't suggesting for a moment that you hadn't had a bad experience with them. I was merely highlighting that for every bad experience there will be a good one and vice-versa...I am certain that there are some companies that get wrong more often than they get it right, but from what I have researched (on this forum) PSS are among the more reputable of companies, along with Fox's, Whites and many others that people have mentioned in this thread.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience...I can only imagine the upset that one must experience on opening their long awaiting boxes, etc to find damage and destruction...
I know it's not anything personal. Unfortunately some packers seem to think the insurance will be enough of a sticking plaster, but this is another can of worms, because some things are hard to source, or only available in the UK. True that you have to take a balanced view.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:35 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we've just used PSS and on the whole were ok. We got 6 quotes in the end, shortlisted PSS and Whites, got them both down in price but went with a gut feeling in the end.

The packers were great came in on Dec 29/30 and were two carefull, friendly guys. Worked quickly and efficiently, despite having to contend with 3 kids in the house who had only had their christmas presents for 4 days!! Absolutely no food items allowed as we thought, tea bags all went in suitcase and why did everyone give us chocolates for xmas when we were about to leave the country???

Container sailed on Jan 8 and arrived in Calgary on Jan 22, earlier than we anticipated. Initially this was good news, then problems started.

We were paid for a door to door sole use container, and were told we would get that, ie goods in container at your UK residence, sealed and unless opened at customs, the container would be unsealed and offloaded at your destination address- not the case.

We had arranged to take over rental property 10 days after our goods actually arrived, they turned up earlier than expected and we were then told by AMJ Campbell in Calgary we would get charged $115 USD a day by the shipping line for holding onto container, plus trucking co charges of $250 for delivery plus fuel surcharge plus $65 per hour after first 2 hours for offloading.

If you require their "period of possible free storage" you have to arrange it with PSS before you leave UK,( even though you don't know if you need it) we were told. In the end to get around this we had to pay AMJ Campbell over $420 handling charge to unload container into their warehouse and then they subcontracted a local company to reload and deliver. Fair enough, but lack of communication between parties involved meant we had numerous emails and telephone calls to UK at 2am to get it sorted. Nothing major damaged until the guys here tried to put a pine bed together with wrong fittings and split the frame.

At the end of the day I think the whole thing is just pot luck as there are so many different bits involved in the jigsaw. Good Luck
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

You know what?...reading all this makes me kind of glad that we've decided to sell what little furniture we have and to just ship out personal belongings (music/film collections, art works, books, clothes, etc). I'd much rather the excitement (and expense and hassle) of buying new furniture in Canada than the disappointment and heartache of having everything arrive (or not) broken and tainted!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Ros257 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Best Shipping company?

We used PSS - and wished we hadn't. Appreciate that mistakes happen but we are still awaiting 2 packages that they have had for 5 months that got 'left behind' in their warehouse. It has only been from constant chasing by us that they are finally on the way.
They said they were sending them in January, but last week it transpires that they were still in their warehouse.
And now we are inconvenienced again because we have to go back to customs in Toronto to get clearance, even though these packages were part of our original consignment. So it's a days' unpaid leave from work, fuel costs and massive inconvenience to us. Sadly, the attitude we have from PSS is simply they don't give a damn, they've had our money and that's that. Not even an apology.
So looking to raise a formal complaint to the appropriate authorities.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

I was wondering, those of you that used PSS, who actually turned up to do the packing? When the guy came to give us a quote, he was actually from Clarke and Rose (from Aberdeen) so it appears that they are using a sub for those north of the border.

We have had 5 quotes, from PSS, Doree Bonner, Whites, and a Local Company and most seem pretty close to each other.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:38 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GandH
I was wondering, those of you that used PSS, who actually turned up to do the packing? When the guy came to give us a quote, he was actually from Clarke and Rose (from Aberdeen) so it appears that they are using a sub for those north of the border.

We have had 5 quotes, from PSS, Doree Bonner, Whites, and a Local Company and most seem pretty close to each other.
We're using PSS for the "big push" in 2 weeks time. So far they have been efficient and helpful. If that changes I will come down on them like a ton of bricks - and everybody will know about it. This is stressful enough without a company taking the best part of £7k and then not delivering. Reputations are made or lost by the product they deliver. The internet and forums like this can cost a company literally tens of thousands if a ligitimate grievance is aired in public.

So - be warned!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

So far I've had quotes from about 12 different companies. we made the decision to use one of the bigger companies with it being an international move.

that leaves me with choosing between

Fox international
Britannia
Pickfords

we are kind of leaning towards Britannia although Fox were the most competitive.

we are taking a 40' container and it will be stacked full of antique furniture for our new home. (i've been busy on ebay hehe!)
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading-west
So far I've had quotes from about 12 different companies. we made the decision to use one of the bigger companies with it being an international move.

that leaves me with choosing between

Fox international
Britannia
Pickfords

we are kind of leaning towards Britannia although Fox were the most competitive.

we are taking a 40' container and it will be stacked full of antique furniture for our new home. (i've been busy on ebay hehe!)
I had to laugh when I read your response! We too have been scanning ebay on a regular basis for those little extras for our home in Canada!! As though we didn't have enough junk to take already!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't seem like anyone has come across AGS Fourwinds - apparently they are one of the biggest shipping companies in France - so that may be why.

Otherwise has anyone come across: Eagle Relocations or Border Shipping as well?

AND do you think that £3750 for a 20ft personal container (not including insurance, storage extra duties etc) is a reasonable figure from Hertfordshire to Quebec, Ottawa end?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tango Mike
It doesn't seem like anyone has come across AGS Fourwinds - apparently they are one of the biggest shipping companies in France - so that may be why.

Otherwise has anyone come across: Eagle Relocations or Border Shipping as well?

AND do you think that £3750 for a 20ft personal container (not including insurance, storage extra duties etc) is a reasonable figure from Hertfordshire to Quebec, Ottawa end?
thats about what pickfords quoted us for 20'
Britannia quoted £3365
and Fox international quoted £2969 although I have negotiated a cheaper price again ;-) with them

marine insurance and storage are dealt with on top in each case.
i think its worth shopping around.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

wareeswally will become famous soon enoughwareeswally will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tracys
Cancelled my appointment with anglopacific today. Told them it was because of negative feedback from people on internet and to be honest the lady didn't sound surprised. She said she would pass that on to the uk to nova scotia department.

Got two more companies coming to give us quotes though, picked because of the positive feedback on this thread.
Do you mind me asking which companies you are going to get quotes with? I have today booked an appointment with Anglo Pacific because we used them 3 years ago and couldn't fault them at the time - but reading some of the posts has made me cautious. We are in Essex too!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wareeswally
Do you mind me asking which companies you are going to get quotes with? I have today booked an appointment with Anglo Pacific because we used them 3 years ago and couldn't fault them at the time - but reading some of the posts has made me cautious. We are in Essex too!
I've had quotes from PSS and the moving partnership so far. Going to get GB Liners and Pickfords to give us a quote too.

Chose moving partnership and GB Liners because of possitive feedback on here, and a friend used Pickfords when she emigrated to Alberta 3 years ago, said they were really good.

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.