Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Less than 48 hours till we board the plane

Less than 48 hours till we board the plane

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mickey690 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Less than 48 hours till we board the plane

Well it's finally happening. Just packing up the suitcases ready to catch our flight from Gatwick Thursday morning to Calgary.

Can't quite believe it. Just under 2 years since we originally applied.

It's pretty difficult getting all of our stuff into the suitcases and trying not to go over the weight limit. I knew we should have tried it last week before we finalised our goods to follow list and sentthe boxes to Heathrow.

Anyone else on the smae flight emmigrating or on a research trip?

I managed to secure myself a job 2 weeks ago so that's a big weight off my mind. Just got to find somewhere to rent now within the catchment area for the school we want to send our daughter to.

Once again a big thanks to everyone for there help and support over the last 2 years not sure i'd have stayed sane without knowing that I wasn't the only one going through all the delays and not knowing.

Mickey
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Less than 48 hours till we board the plane

Good luck and safe flight
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mickey690
Well it's finally happening. Just packing up the suitcases ready to catch our flight from Gatwick Thursday morning to Calgary.

It's pretty difficult getting all of our stuff into the suitcases and trying not to go over the weight limit. I knew we should have tried it last week before we finalised our goods to follow list and sentthe boxes to Heathrow.

I managed to secure myself a job 2 weeks ago so that's a big weight off my mind. Just got to find somewhere to rent now within the catchment area for the school we want to send our daughter to.

Once again a big thanks to everyone for there help and support over the last 2 years not sure i'd have stayed sane without knowing that I wasn't the only one going through all the delays and not knowing.

Mickey
Hi Mickey

I wish you the best of luck in your new life for you and your family

If you don't mind me asking, with who are you sending your goods to follow boxes?

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mhut
Hi Mickey

I wish you the best of luck in your new life for you and your family

If you don't mind me asking, with who are you sending your goods to follow boxes?

Thanks
No problem asking. My cousin works for Davies Turner the freight forwarding company. Luckily he works on the air freight desk and has managed to do it for cost for us. He's currently storing the boxes in thier warehouse until we get there and then tell him to send them.

Just got to sort out the insurance for it now.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

No problem asking. My cousin works for Davies Turner the freight forwarding company. Luckily he works on the air freight desk and has managed to do it for cost for us. He's currently storing the boxes in thier warehouse until we get there and then tell him to send them.

Just got to sort out the insurance for it now.
Thanks for your quick reply. I am having trouble trying to work out how many boxes we are gonna have when we permanently move as doing landing in Oct this year and moving for good next year with a 13yr old and 4 year old and the biggest kid hubby of course (lol)

Last edited by Mhut; Aug 2nd 2011 at 6:26 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mhut
Thanks for your quick reply. I am having trouble trying to work out how many boxes we are gonna have when we permanently move as doing landing in Oct this year and moving for good next year with a 13yr old and 4 year old and the biggest kid hubby of course (lol)
Well we didn't pack any furniture just clothes, toys, kitchen stuff, photos, books, bikes etc and we had 53 boxes totalling 1036kg. That's with a 12 & 6 year old.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Well we didn't pack any furniture just clothes, toys, kitchen stuff, photos, books, bikes etc and we had 53 boxes totalling 1036kg. That's with a 12 & 6 year old.
Mickey

That's my packing list, thank you

Insurance wise if your go with a broker I have seen members give a rough guideline of between 2 to 3 % on one of the threads, I know access baggage quoted me 5% (Ouch)

I was estimating 20 boxes at 700kg, but this gives me a rough guideline, thanks again and a safe journey

Last edited by Mhut; Aug 2nd 2011 at 6:52 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:32 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with everything; you must be so excited (and a little bit nervous) . Hope everything works out well for you.

Actually, my mum's friend will be on the same flight. She's coming over for a visit so if you see an older lady looking a little lost..... ... it's her first time to Canada!

Anyway, all the best.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Good luck! Beaujolais hubby and son on that flight too.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

That's awesome Mickey.

I would be exploding with excitement at the moment

Is your clock doing that slow-motion thing?... tic.......toc.... lol.

Or do you have a million things to do and now feel like Jack Bauer

Hope it all goes smoothly, looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Dave.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:02 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the move.....just to brighten up your day and what to expect next few days

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAAB0049
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Ghost-Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done guys

Who are you flying with? The Canadian Affair flights are fortunes at the moment .. We are looking to book flights for late next week ..

We will be traveling through Okotokes and down Hw22 death valley. Look out for a bunch of lime'ys in a Lexus SUV
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point

Mickey
Wow, thats great, we landed in May and are living in Cranston, so far we are really liking it. Wishing you all the best of luck.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

etjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant future

Mickey
Wishing you loads of luck and happiness in your new Canadian life. We go 2 weeks on Sunday so the big pack up;s about to begin here. Enjoy yourselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.