Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best options for UK fresh grad wanting to work in Canada?

Best options for UK fresh grad wanting to work in Canada?

Old Jul 27th 2014, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

som.mek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best options for UK fresh grad wanting to work in Canada?

As a fresh grad (as fresh as they come, with no work experience) what are my best options for moving over to Canada and working there?

- I can apply online for jobs and then get a work permit. From the little research that I have done, it seems that getting an LMO/work permit will be difficult for someone in my position. Would it really be that hard, to the extent that I should bypass this route?

- I can apply for the International Experience Canada (working holiday) program, get a job and then apply for a proper work permit while working.

- I can venture across the pond as a tourist and find a job within the 6 month frame. This is the least favourable option in my unenlightened eyes, since I may have same problem of securing a work permit while in the country.

So, what route would ultimately be the most successful? Do I have any other options? What if I cannot get a work permit and do not get accepted for the working holiday program, what do I do then?

To summarise this whole post: what is the best route for a UK fresh grad to take if they want to work in Canada?

I would really appreciate any advice, tips, etc!

Last edited by som.mek; Jul 27th 2014 at 9:25 pm. Reason: false title
Old Jul 27th 2014, 9:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best options for UK fresh grad wanting to work in Canada?

Originally Posted by som.mek
As a fresh grad (as fresh as they come, with no work experience) what are my best options for moving over to Canada and working there?

- I can apply online for jobs and then get a work permit. From the little research that I have done, it seems that getting an LMO/work permit will be difficult for someone in my position. Would it really be that hard, to the extent that I should bypass this route?

- I can apply for the International Experience Canada (working holiday) program, get a job and then apply for a proper work permit while working.

- I can venture across the pond as a tourist and find a job within the 6 month frame. This is the least favourable option in my unenlightened eyes, since I may have same problem of securing a work permit while in the country.

So, what route would ultimately be the most successful? Do I have any other options? What if I cannot get a work permit and do not get accepted for the working holiday program, what do I do then?

To summarise this whole post: what is the best route for a UK fresh grad to take if they want to work in Canada?

I would really appreciate any advice, tips, etc!
Welcome to BE!

I would say the IEC, definitely! You could also apply for a 2nd year, giving you ample time to determine if you can qualify for PNP or PR through the FSW or CEC streams - and if you like Canada! You will have 1 year to activate the IEC work permit from time of issue and the work permit will be valid for a year from the time you activate it - or you could also come over as a visitor initially, find a job then activate the IEC work permit, giving you a full 12 months of work experience.

While you are waiting for the IEC to reopen (Decemberish) you should try and save as much money as you can and gain any experience in your field that is possible.

If you don't get an IEC whv, then I would suggest getting as much experience in your field as possible (a minimum of 2 years) and then hopefully your profession will either be in demand or else you will be able to seek employers willing and able to sponsor you. Don't forget the the Express Entry System starts in January and that could well have an impact on future emigration.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2014 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!

I would say the IEC, definitely! You could also apply for a 2nd year, giving you ample time to determine if you can qualify for PNP or PR through the FSW or CEC streams - and if you like Canada! You will have 1 year to activate the IEC work permit from time of issue and the work permit will be valid for a year from the time you activate it - or you could also come over as a visitor initially, find a job then activate the IEC work permit, giving you a full 12 months of work experience.

While you are waiting for the IEC to reopen (Decemberish) you should try and save as much money as you can and gain any experience in your field that is possible.

If you don't get an IEC whv, then I would suggest getting as much experience in your field as possible (a minimum of 2 years) and then hopefully your profession will either be in demand or else you will be able to seek employers willing and able to sponsor you. Don't forget the the Express Entry System starts in January and that could well have an impact on future emigration.

I would agree. Also whilst you are waiting for IEC to open, do you have an Irish parent/grandparent and/or a parent/grandparent born in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? If so you could be an Irish citizen and have up to three years on IEC - two on your Irish passport and one on your British. For whatever reason the Irish visa lasts 2 years from the get go, whereas the British one lasts 1 only from the get go. You are only allowed 2 IECs, hence the 2+1.

And Siouxie, out of curiosity what is the Express Entry System?
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I would agree. Also whilst you are waiting for IEC to open, do you have an Irish parent/grandparent and/or a parent/grandparent born in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? If so you could be an Irish citizen and have up to three years on IEC - two on your Irish passport and one on your British. For whatever reason the Irish visa lasts 2 years from the get go, whereas the British one lasts 1 only from the get go. You are only allowed 2 IECs, hence the 2+1.

And Siouxie, out of curiosity what is the Express Entry System?
Express Entry

From January 2015.
"...Express Entry will allow us to actively recruit, assess and select skilled immigrants under the following federal economic immigration programs..."
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a bunch for the detailed replies! So IEC it is for me, hopefully.

So it seems that without IEC, or a couple years of work experience on my hands, I cannot work in Canada. Is that a fair statement?

I actually planned to start working in Canada before 2015. Should I trash said plan and simply apply for jobs/get work experience while waiting for the IEC?

Looks like I might to need to switch gears to plan B (working in Switzerland) if IEC doesn't work for me!

Last edited by som.mek; Jul 29th 2014 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You could work in Canada before 2015, if you could get a 'normal' TWP rather than an IEC. But tbh finding an employer prepared to spend $1000, wait several months for you to be able to start work, and go through all the paperwork and hassle applying for a LMIA for you is highly unlikely without any relevant skill/experience.

IEC will be your easiest option by a mile!

Good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 2:31 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You could work in Canada before 2015, if you could get a 'normal' TWP rather than an IEC. But tbh finding an employer prepared to spend $1000, wait several months for you to be able to start work, and go through all the paperwork and hassle applying for a LMIA for you is highly unlikely without any relevant skill/experience.

IEC will be your easiest option by a mile!

Good luck.
Plus with the new LMIA process, the employer has to demonstrate what his/her plans are for training CC/PRs for the position. With no experience, the OP hasn't a chance of getting an approved LMIA.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jmboot is an unknown quantity at this point

IEC is definitely the way.

In 2008 I was finishing my 2nd year at uni and came to Canada for the summer and worked as a construction laborer on the sea-to-sky highway. Pay was ok, lived in Whistler, had a blast.

Went home (reluctantly) and finished my degree then decided I wanted to come back. I studied towards becoming an accountant (3 years) and 2 months after qualifying I applied for IEC again and got my place. Within another 2 months I was back in Canada.

I'm currently living in Canada for the next 2 years (providing I get another visa) afterwhich I'll ask myself the big question - to PR or not to PR?

Good luck on your route to Canada
Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:55 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Just an FYI - you can only IEC twice. You had one in 2008 and I presume you are on the second one now. You'll need to get a TWP or some other visa to stay beyond your IEC
Yes they can as their IEC was a BUNAC visa before 2011

Anyone that had a visa before 2011 is entitled to another 2 participations
Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Yes they can as their IEC was a BUNAC visa before 2011

Anyone that had a visa before 2011 is entitled to another 2 participations
Oops. Deleted my other post. Thanks for pointing that out
Old Aug 6th 2014, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Once again, I appreciate the advice and blessings! So my plan now is to work elsewhere for 6 months while waiting for the IEC and then take a plane to Canada Can't wait!