Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Benefits in Canada

Benefits in Canada

Old Mar 14th 2018, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits in Canada

BC expects family to take care of you before assistance kicks in.

Same with disability.

Once my income hits 24,000 spouses disability will be cut.

We will have to go a couple months living off 250/month after rent which is about what will be left from my income.

Basically the govt expects your family to provide support first.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just to clarify, this is other people in the same household as opposed to others in the same building.

In NB they want to know about anyone in the same house. Your sister, your uncle, your father in law, grandfather, your brother's spouse, your son's homeless friend sleeping on the sofa, your mate just separated from his wife that you are putting up.....

Your post in response said the same in BC "You have to provide all info about you and anyone you live with."

Did you just mean partner, kids etc and not those I mentioned?

Here's the way NB puts it.

I find it incredible how they dress up expecting someone in the household - no matter that there's no relationship nor liability (moral or legal) - to take financial responsibility as something non discriminatory.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
BC expects family to take care of you before assistance kicks in.

Same with disability.
The system is set up so family cannot look after a PWD.

The PWD payment is pretty small, plus they can earn $12000 a year. If family try to give money, it is taken off PWD payment, dollar for dollar.

The govt are hell bent on $15.20 an hour min wage, as low income earners cannot manage, however PWD recipients have seen nowhere near the 30% increase min wage is getting. All the extra tax dollars from the min wage increase could go to disability and seniors payments. The govt have not mentioned what they will do with the tax windfall from the min wage increase.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the way the system is set up sucks.

PWD system is flawed and difficult to navigate on a good day.

My wife will get letters every couple of years telling her to apply for CPP in an attempt to get her off provincial benefits.

She never gets approved for CPP. But its a pain to deal with.

They at times also randomly make her try for EI.

I am just glad they dont claw back tax refunds.

We go 2 to 3 mos of the year on shaky ground as my income is insufficient to cover all exspenses once we hit the annual exemption. Causes a lot of stress and hardship.

I could see if a spouse is making a large income but the income exemption amounts are simply too low.

When she lived with her mom before meeting me they expected her mom to support her.

Originally Posted by Aviator
The system is set up so family cannot look after a PWD.

The PWD payment is pretty small, plus they can earn $12000 a year. If family try to give money, it is taken off PWD payment, dollar for dollar.

The govt are hell bent on $15.20 an hour min wage, as low income earners cannot manage, however PWD recipients have seen nowhere near the 30% increase min wage is getting. All the extra tax dollars from the min wage increase could go to disability and seniors payments. The govt have not mentioned what they will do with the tax windfall from the min wage increase.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Anna Maria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, you pose an interesting question considering from a post made by you in November 2015 that you have been living & working in Canada since August 2015, which make me guess that you likely already know the answer?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11786542

Do let us know?
SORRY WHAT'S YOUR QUESTION NOW? ABOUT THAT PAST POST?
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Anna Maria is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your advices and for empathy towards my job ending. I am positive about life changes and I can see it as a sign to return to Europe. 3 years here and having really hard time to adapt. Things happen for a reason. Good thing is that EI here is really high comparing to the UK.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to register unemployment

Originally Posted by Anna Maria
Yeah I can see is no longer here...

So now in regards to the UK unemployment benefits system...I am planning to stay on EI in Canada for a couple of months while I am preparing for my UK return this summer. I understand I will need to register with Job Center first thing on my return with no benefits rights for 3 months.

Question, can I return and not register for a month or two (as I need that time for relocation adaptation) and then go to Job Centre and register AND will they include my time in the UK since the day I returned? So in other words will it count towards that 3 months period if I register from 2nd month for example?
I am afraid that if I register straight away they will be bothering me with low paid job offers and wasting time going there every few days to sign up while I will be unpacking my stuff and adapting to my return and looking for a proper job etc. I just need Job Center registration as a back up plan if I won't find a job within 3 months. I am not planning on getting JSA as I need a real job and income.

Also, who performs that Habitual Test upon return? Jobcentre?

Do we have NHS access from day one after returning?

Now that i got used to the private healthcare in Canada available to everyone, which I love, can we just purchase similar option via BUPA, AXA on our return-did you try that? From my past UK experience only managerial positions got offered free healthcare plans in the UK but I never looked into buying individual plan and spent thousands of pounds on private doctors. So I am planning to do it Canadian way this time

Thank youfor any suggestions
I would suggest posting your questions in the MBTTUK forum: Moving back to the UK - British Expats - I'm not sure anyone in Canada can advise you on this.

Best of luck with your move!

Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to register unemployment

...for my UK return this summer. I understand I will need to register with Job Center first thing on my return with no benefits rights for 3 months.

Question, can I return and not register for a month or two...
Yes. The three months is from return, not the first three months of a claim. You may be asked for proof of date of return and the longer you leave it the longer the period without NI credits.
Can I suggest you try moneysavingexpert.com forums for more specific JSA type questions.
Do we have NHS access from day one after returning?
I believe so.

Now that i got used to the private healthcare in Canada available to everyone,
You probably mean employee benefits that some get through employment.

can we just purchase similar option via BUPA, AXA
I imagine so, but...
...in the UK but I never looked into buying individual plan and spent thousands of pounds on private doctors.
if you have an existing condition, you might have high premiums to pay.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your advices and for empathy towards my job ending.
CBC will be sad to see you go

wiki
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing is that EI here is really high comparing to the UK.
EI runs out though, it is for a period, depending on how much one qualifies. It does not go one forever like in the UK. The receiver also has to be actively seeking work while on EI.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes the way the system is set up sucks.

PWD system is flawed and difficult to navigate on a good day.
For those with a disability, are functional on their own, but cannot work or hold down a job, they system is such that it keeps these people in near poverty.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:43 am
Account Closed

For sure.

The housing portion of PWD should also reflect reality as well.

For those with a disability, are functional on their own, but cannot work or hold down a job, they system is such that it keeps these people in near poverty.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well that depends. How would you feel if it was your information requested of the other person who may be family or anyone else unrelated to you in the same house.

You'd think nothing of providing your wage slips, bank statements, life insurance documents, SIN, etc for someone else to apply?
It seems to me that, if people want taxpayers to help them with their living expenses, and if they live with others who, one assumes, would also be expected to contribute towards those living expenses, both should have no issue with providing the information requested. If they are not willing to do so, the claimant doesn't get the funds they are seeking. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For those with a disability who are not functional on their own the system is such that it keeps these people and their supporting relatives in near poverty. Canada is not the place to be disabled; the government treats people with disabilities as it does the natives.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It seems to me that, if people want taxpayers to help them with their living expenses, and if they live with others who, one assumes, would also be expected to contribute towards those living expenses, both should have no issue with providing the information requested. If they are not willing to do so, the claimant doesn't get the funds they are seeking. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I'm afraid you're still missing the point. It's not just a contribution, it could be the whole thing.

Imagine as a favour to your brother you let him stay. Or it could be your brother's friend. It makes no difference which one it is.

Your brother or his friend agrees to pay you something for your trouble, except he has no income.

He applies for Social Assistance. You are then required to provide your personal details (income, bank statements, life insurance documents etc, same for your wife and kids) for his application to be considered.

Do you do so?

And then, with your income, his answer is likely to be a refusal because your household income is enough to meet his needs.

Fair or not?

NB is not the only province that does this from what I've read.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 15th 2018 at 5:14 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Sometimes families won't assist others in the family financially even if said family member lives with them so the current system is flawed in that is expects family to help and will deny people.

Fact is many who are disabled or in need don't have families able or willing to assist financially.

The decision should be based on the applicants assets and situation not their family.

I've read stories of people being denied due to living with family even though the family was not willing or able to assist financially.

Its a very flawed system.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.