Reload this Page >

Becoming a Paramedic in Canada

Becoming a Paramedic in Canada

Old Mar 15th 2017, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Whirley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Becoming a Paramedic in Canada

Hello,

I'm pretty much set on wanting to move to Canada to become a PCP with my UK Paramedic registration. I am about to graduate a 2 year University programme, and I can see that Paramedics are Skill Level B on the immigration part of the website, meaning they qualify for express entry (permanent residence) based on having a job offer in a skilled Canadian profession.

I found a thread on here but it was from 2008, and obviously a lot will have changed in that time so I figured it was better to start a new one!

Has anybody on here recently been through the process, or knows the best way to get a job offer? I understand I will have to have my qualifications vetted for reciprocity.

Also I can see that the immigration demand is less about specifically being a 'Paramedic', and more about being an EMS Technician or Paramedic, with at least a 2 year University education in that subject.

I was an EMT for 2 years before becoming a Paramedic, and since I will have this University education, would this count for my required 1 year of work experience?

Any and all info is hugely welcomed, and thank you in advance!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming a Paramedic in Canada

Hello and welcome to BE!

Which Province do you think you are most likely to want to move to? Each Province has Provincial Regulations and specific processes to ascertain equivalency of your qualifications.

This might be of use to you: http://paramedic.ca/site/faq?nav=02 and http://paramedic.ca/site/links?nav=02

My nephew is a paramedic, but he qualified here so am unable to give any advice on this, sorry!

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 15th 2017 at 9:55 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

paravic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I’m a Paramedic in Scotland looking to move to Canada. I’ve only had my registration for a year but was a technician for 4. I’m currently 2/3 of the way through my BSc (Scotland do HND still and not BSc).

What province are you honking about going to?
Old Jan 1st 2018, 1:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We have a friend who just qualified in BC, now trying to get hired. Paramedics in BC are paid by the call, so there are more vacancies in quieter locations.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

egomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to all

Hi all! PM me if you need any information on the transition from UK to British Columbia, a lot has changed since 2008! Lots of opportunities opening up here! I started the training from scratch - we have a few more people who can connect about their experiences in applying to transfer (some challenging - some awesome).

I still work at the Justice Institute of BC and BC Emergency Health Services - living the dream! Make the move!
Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Lucy_watson is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning.. sorry I have been unable to PM as I have not posted on here before. I am looking to move to Canada to work as a paramedic. I am a HCPC paramedic and have been qualified just over a year working in the UK. What are the best options for a move? And what new opportunity’s are there? I have viewed the provenance website however they don’t give any definitive information for UK paramedics. I would be interested mostly in Quebec and Ontario.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lucy.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 4:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucy_watson
Good morning.. sorry I have been unable to PM as I have not posted on here before. I am looking to move to Canada to work as a paramedic. I am a HCPC paramedic and have been qualified just over a year working in the UK. What are the best options for a move? And what new opportunity’s are there? I have viewed the provenance website however they don’t give any definitive information for UK paramedics. I would be interested mostly in Quebec and Ontario.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lucy.
Welcome to BE!

You can find out more about how to qualify as a paramedic in Ontario by using the links on this page; MOHLTC - EHS - Education - Equivalency
Standard Equivalency

Paramedics who have completed a paramedic training program from another country or do not meet the AIT Equivalency requirements and want to work as a paramedic in Ontario must undertake the Standard Equivalency Process.
There's also a useful section on this page: https://torontoparamedic.com/become-a-paramedic/ and Paramedic Association of Canada Home Page

As to obtaining Permanent Residency (which I believe you will need in order to work as a paramedic), please look at the wiki article Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration : British Expat Wiki and post any questions to our Immigration section Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) - British Expats

Old Feb 19th 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Lucy_watson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Siouxie,

Thank you for the reply. This is all really helpful information 😊.

Do you work as a paramedic in Canada?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 4:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lucy_watson
Hi Siouxie,

Thank you for the reply. This is all really helpful information 😊.

Do you work as a paramedic in Canada?
You're most welcome!

No I don't, although I have a nephew who is one.

Good luck with your plans!

Old Mar 5th 2018, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Whirley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your help thus far, it's most appreciated

I started this thread originally last year, and am still focused on the goal of being a Paramedic in Canada!

I'll be checking in again in the future once I start the process. I think my first port of call will be to try and take some kind of reciprocity exams or assessments, if that seems sensible?
Old Sep 6th 2018, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Crunchiewatson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by egomasseur
Hi all! PM me if you need any information on the transition from UK to British Columbia, a lot has changed since 2008! Lots of opportunities opening up here! I started the training from scratch - we have a few more people who can connect about their experiences in applying to transfer (some challenging - some awesome).

I still work at the Justice Institute of BC and BC Emergency Health Services - living the dream! Make the move!
hey egomasseur, I’m wondering whether you could shed some light/advice/tips/people my way. I’m a 2 year degree paramedic with just shy of 5 years experience and looking and making move over the water. I’m not overly fussed on where, just somewhere busy with a somewhat social life for a mid 20s single female (so somewhere in back of beyond wouldn’t be ideal).
anyway first steps is where I need guidance.
thanks crunchiewatson
Old Sep 6th 2018, 10:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crunchiewatson

hey egomasseur, I’m wondering whether you could shed some light/advice/tips/people my way. I’m a 2 year degree paramedic with just shy of 5 years experience and looking and making move over the water. I’m not overly fussed on where, just somewhere busy with a somewhat social life for a mid 20s single female (so somewhere in back of beyond wouldn’t be ideal).
thanks crunchiewatson
In BC, the busiest locations go to the most senior paramedics, as it is paid on call.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Crunchiewatson

thanks crunchiewatson

Hello and welcome to BE!

I'd suggest starting with what you will need to do in order to work as a paramedic in Canada - for Ontario the links have already been given but you will probably find the paramedics association of Canada link useful. Once you have determined that you should be able to get certification for your Province of choice, then the next step is to see if you can gain Permanent Residency (see links in my previous post). Any questions re appling for work permits or permanent residency should be posted to our Immigration forum

https://paramedic.ca/index.html

As to where - where ever you can get a job is the normal suggestion! Concentrate on the HOW and worry about the where later.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 7th 2018 at 2:36 am.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

philip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have literally just gone through the licensing process and have gained my ACP licence for BC and will be starting with BC ambulance service in Feb/March next year. It’s not an easy process but it is doable. As a UK paramedic we sit between a BC PCP and ACP. Getting a PCP licence is relatively easy but you can only get hired on a part time basis at first, and can literally be anywhere in the province. You’ll need to do some extra education for an ACP license, perfectly achievable though, and ACP’s are hired on a full time basis but irregularly scheduled, mostly in the lower mainland and Victoria but there are some ALS stations dotted elsewhere. If you want anymore info email me <snippped> and look at this link https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...nce-applicants. Good luck and give me a shout if you have any questions.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2021 at 11:40 am. Reason: it's never a good idea to post your email on an open forum.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

egomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to all

Hi Whirley!

There is a great new resource available, recently developed by 2 paramedics (one from the Yorkshire Ambulance Service) that now ply their trade here too. It's worth checking out if anyone is looking to research a move to Canada: http://www.internationalparamedics.com/

<snip>

Best regards,

Jodie

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 30th 2018 at 10:51 pm. Reason: Email address removed to save you from spambots and weirdos - BE is public! If they wish people can contact you via forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.