Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Became a Citizen.....

Became a Citizen.....

Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:44 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Became a Citizen.....

And will be voting in my first Federal Election

Just found out none of the parties have a published manifesto. All I have is soundbites on in the news to figure out who's not the biggest liar.

Do they not like putting anytrhing in writing in case we expect them to follow up on it?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Became a Citizen.....

Congrats!
Old Sep 9th 2015, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. I thought the parties put up their platform online?

I can't vote so don't pay super close attention but NDP is the only part that comes close to what lean towards.

Maybe they have no plan this election other then make Harper look bad.....
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:15 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Only Green Party, and PQ, so far...

https://www.poltext.org/en/part-1-el...ifestos-canada
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

In Vegreville you either vote Tory or NDP.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I can't vote but I kinda like Mulcair's look somehow... don't think though that that is the basis for an educated decision though...
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I can't vote but I kinda like Mulcair's look somehow... don't think though that that is the basis for an educated decision though...
It's at least as good as any other method. Going by what they say they are going to do is probably more ridiculous.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot vote but was looking forward to finding out where all the parties stood on the main issues. I have been surprised how hard it is to find out as there have, as yet, been no published "manifestos". The websites were not all that helpful. The conservative website just talked about trivial tangential issues, the NDP site mostly just slated the Conservatives and made wooly promises of how they would do it better. I was surprised that the liberal site was fairly informative, dealt with specific issues and was well constructed but seemed unfinished. This is not a plug for any party as I was just looking for information.

I heard yesterday that the Green Party have published their "platform" which I guess is their "Manifesto" i.e. a list of changes they would like to make with some suggestions of how they will be paid for. I guess the other parties will follow with their platforms at last. It seems a little late. I would have assumed the parties would have known their proposed policies. I am not sure how you can "campaign" without knowing what changes you propose to make.

Anyhow, lucky you being able to vote. Make the most of it.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

It's a bit early in the campaign to find the full manifesto to be available. The parties like to make their key pledges piecemeal, to maximise media coverage, and only release the full platform after that.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's at least as good as any other method. Going by what they say they are going to do is probably more ridiculous.
Absolutely. Never trust what they say!

Justin has a baby face and Steven obviously is on his way out... Tom looks like the guy next door. Would be nice to hang out with him around a campfire... OK, so I will vote for him... (in my head anyway as I am not yet Canadian!).
Old Sep 11th 2015, 9:37 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Absolutely. Never trust what they say!

Justin has a baby face and Steven obviously is on his way out... Tom looks like the guy next door. Would be nice to hang out with him around a campfire... OK, so I will vote for him... (in my head anyway as I am not yet Canadian!).
Maybe you should check the NDP's track record ! They have never formed a Federal government but when that political whore Bob Rae was Premier of Ontario it was a disaster. Rae Days, days when provincial civil servants didn't get paid. He earned the moniker "Buffalo's Business Man of The Year" because of all the businesses that left Ontario for Buffalo. Then we had an NDP government in Nova Scotia. Good old Uncle Darryl Dexter. Another disaster. Even his Finance Minister, Graham Steele quit ! I'll be glad to see the back of Harper but, sadly, the alternatives are not that desirable.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Maybe you should check the NDP's track record ! They have never formed a Federal government but when that political whore Bob Rae was Premier of Ontario it was a disaster. Rae Days, days when provincial civil servants didn't get paid. He earned the moniker "Buffalo's Business Man of The Year" because of all the businesses that left Ontario for Buffalo. Then we had an NDP government in Nova Scotia. Good old Uncle Darryl Dexter. Another disaster. Even his Finance Minister, Graham Steele quit ! I'll be glad to see the back of Harper but, sadly, the alternatives are not that desirable.
Good old Daryl. Friend of mine went to school with him and he was often found crying behind the bike sheds.

When I worked for the Chamber of Commerce in Yarmouth he attended a function we had going on. I kind of knew all the members but sometimes it took me a few minutes to put a name to a face...anyway, enter Mr Dexter and I'm about to apologize to him for not remembering his name and suddenly I remembered who he was! Phew!!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2015, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They have no track record on the federal level, and while the provincial NDP might be the same party, it's not really an indication if Mulclair would be bad or good, only way to know is to give him a chance,
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:36 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should check the NDP's track record !
Yeah the NDP here seem to be losing the plot very quickly.

Basically, all the civil servants in Edmonton voted for them because they don't want to get fired. So the NDP promised not to fire anyone and then found out the PCs had understated the financial problems and then on top of that the price of oil has plummeted.

So given that they won't cut anything and have already announced tax increases, I see only one thing happening - even more tax increases.

What they should do of course is come out and say they can't possibly implement their campaign promises (which hardly anyone was aware of anyway as it was a protest vote) because of the dire economic situation but they're too scared to do it.

Especially because Mulclair is hoping to win seats in Edmonton. October 20th I see bad news being announced in Alberta.