Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Barrie house market cooling

Barrie house market cooling

Old Oct 1st 2017, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barrie house market cooling

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Maybe Barrie is colder now because property in the GTA has become more affordable, some prices are levelling off or even dropped a little, but still overpriced IMO, Barrie would be a long commute to Toronto and not everyone's first choice to live
For a job with a salary similar to Toronto, I'd consider living in Barrie any time. It's simply more relaxed, less traffic, more space, closer to nature.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 3:38 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
For a job with a salary similar to Toronto, I'd consider living in Barrie any time. It's simply more relaxed, less traffic, more space, closer to nature.
I meant for some one working down town Toronto, (hence why I said long commute) obviously if u have a job in Barrie living IN Barrie would make sense to most.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Prices are coming down outside of the GTA. Prices were way too inflated up until the spring this year.
We moved from NS to Alliston in July 2014. At the time the lowest price for us was $300,000 for a 3/4 bed 1980s/90s style house. Fast forward to spring 2017 and the same house is fetching mid 500s. It was ridiculous!!!
Prices were going up here as our property in NS was losing value and not selling.... nothing we could do but hope we'd be able to buy here.
I've been watching the prices avidly and they are slowly going down. Quite a few are announcing "new price" and are taking longer to sell...
They'll be coming down more yet... perhaps not to 2014 levels but there's still a ways to go...
Typical bubble and burst...it's happened before and it will happen again. In our case we just have to wait it out and be ready when the price is right.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Prices are coming down outside of the GTA. Prices were way too inflated up until the spring this year.
We moved from NS to Alliston in July 2014. At the time the lowest price for us was $300,000 for a 3/4 bed 1980s/90s style house. Fast forward to spring 2017 and the same house is fetching mid 500s. It was ridiculous!!!
Prices were going up here as our property in NS was losing value and not selling.... nothing we could do but hope we'd be able to buy here.
I've been watching the prices avidly and they are slowly going down. Quite a few are announcing "new price" and are taking longer to sell...
They'll be coming down more yet... perhaps not to 2014 levels but there's still a ways to go...
Typical bubble and burst...it's happened before and it will happen again. In our case we just have to wait it out and be ready when the price is right.
I shall be interested to see if this house,

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...-N0G1A0-Arthur

which I pass often, sells. iirc it was listed for just under $600,000 when the current occupants bought it (2013/2014). They added the barn, the expensive fencing, various other pieces. Unless it went for half list last time I think they're going to take a beating.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

which I pass often, sells. iirc it was listed for just under $600,000 when the current occupants bought it (2013/2014). They added the barn, the expensive fencing, various other pieces. Unless it went for half list last time I think they're going to take a beating.
I like that house... I went to Arthur by mistake the other day... Was trying to go to Guelph from Orangeville without GPS...
I would say it is too highly priced... but there is a lot of land... if you want a lot of land... Sometimes you can spend money but you don't necessarily add value... Would be interesting to know how much they actually bought it for.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I like that house... I went to Arthur by mistake the other day... Was trying to go to Guelph from Orangeville without GPS...
I would say it is too highly priced... but there is a lot of land... if you want a lot of land... Sometimes you can spend money but you don't necessarily add value... Would be interesting to know how much they actually bought it for.
2.5 acres is not a lot of land in that area. I like the house too.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I love this quote in the listing....where do these agents come up with this stuff.

'Sit Down - Relax - Breathe- This 2.5 Acre Property Wraps Around You'
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
2.5 acres is not a lot of land in that area. I like the house too.
True, I misread... in that case I would say it's way too high for such a distant town
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I love this quote in the listing....where do these agents come up with this stuff.

Does that not help you picture yourself there?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That is not a lot of land. It's overgrazed and they feed bales from somewhere else.

Yes, it's a shame you can't easily see the sales history here, a facility like rightmove or trulia would be a great advance.

You weren't far lost, the ideal route is up a road called 3 which is a diagonal, you just took two sides of the oblong. There is, as I expect you noted, nothing in Arthur.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

It may do but I suppose if you were sitting in that office with all the glass it would be a fur coat and a blanket wrapped around you. Note also that, while the master is nice enough, the rest of the rooms are chopped out of the attic in tiny squares like one of those rooming houses for illegal immigrants they're always busting in Brent. Granted, at the occupancy rate of Brent, all of the population of Wellington County would fit.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

That is not a lot of land. It's overgrazed and they feed bales from somewhere else.

Yes, it's a shame you can't easily see the sales history here, a facility like rightmove or trulia would be a great advance.

You weren't far lost, the ideal route is up a road called 3 which is a diagonal, you just took two sides of the oblong. There is, as I expect you noted, nothing in Arthur.
There was an intersection because that's when I realized I was way too far out...

There's a system in NS called viewpoint, it's great, you can see how long a house has been for sale and how often they have dropped the price...good tool as a buyer, less as a seller...
Old Oct 5th 2017, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Maybe Barrie is colder now because property in the GTA has become more affordable, some prices are levelling off or even dropped a little, but still overpriced IMO, Barrie would be a long commute to Toronto and not everyone's first choice to live
https://www.zolo.ca/barrie-real-estate/trends

Trend shows prices almost flat for the last 12 months in Barrie. the bump over $600K in March 2017 looks like the bubble bursting.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.zolo.ca/barrie-real-estate/trends prices are slightly down last month to an average $471K sale price with 642 new listings. The trend looks like average prices will hover between $450-500K over the winter months
Old Nov 5th 2017, 11:25 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
https://www.zolo.ca/barrie-real-estate/trends prices are slightly down last month to an average $471K sale price with 642 new listings. The trend looks like average prices will hover between $450-500K over the winter months
Well of course it will, the market suffers significantly in winter. Who really wants to move houses in -30 and blizzards? You won't really be able to tell what the market is doing until next spring..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.