Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banking in Canada

Banking in Canada

Old Jan 20th 2016, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking in Canada

Originally Posted by Gazzae
Do you mean an equifax report from another country? Should I be ordering a report before I leave the UK as I have good credit here.
I took a copy of mine with me. Bank just glanced at it but it helped a lot with getting an apartment.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean an equifax report from another country? Should I be ordering a report before I leave the UK as I have good credit here.
A Canadian one. A bank doesn't have any way of verifying the authenticity of a foreign credit report, so is likely worthless.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A Canadian one. A bank doesn't have any way of verifying the authenticity of a foreign credit report, so is likely worthless.
They wouldn't have a Canadian one yet, that's the point.

Getting an Equifax credit report from the UK along with letters from the bank, mortgage lender etc., stating that you are a customer 'in good standing' won't hurt and costs nothing. If you are planning on purchasing a property at some point in the near future, mortgage lenders will likely take it into consideration, as will landlords if you are renting.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 20th 2016 at 2:29 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

PLeech is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peteforde
Hi Just wondering what the banking was like in Canada and which are the best Banks to use for a newcomer to Vancouver. Also can you set up an account before arriving in Canada? I will also have some small bills to pay in the UK, whats the cheapest, quickest method of transferring money back to the UK.

Thanks
I live in Calgary and found that the best bank for us is the TD bank as there open longer hours than most banks. I don't think you can open an account before you arrive as you need the correct documents to open an account, which you will be give once you enter the country.
The best way we send money back to the uk is through PayPal, we have a uk and Canadian PayPal account. This we use to send birthday money back to family and pay bills. Also before we left we opened an account with world first and used them to transfer the bulk of our money over once we had opened a Canadian bank account. They give you a better rate than the banks. There is no fee if the funds you transfer over is £2000 per transfer.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PLeech
I live in Calgary and found that the best bank for us is the TD bank as there open longer hours than most banks. I don't think you can open an account before you arrive as you need the correct documents to open an account, which you will be give once you enter the country.
The best way we send money back to the uk is through PayPal, we have a uk and Canadian PayPal account. This we use to send birthday money back to family and pay bills. Also before we left we opened an account with world first and used them to transfer the bulk of our money over once we had opened a Canadian bank account. They give you a better rate than the banks. There is no fee if the funds you transfer over is £2000 per transfer.
I was able to open an account (with TD as it happens) from the UK with no issues at all.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The best way we send money back to the uk is through PayPal
It is one way, I would not necessarily say it is the best way.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... The best way we send money back to the uk is through PayPal. ....
Originally Posted by Aviator
It is one way, I would not necessarily say it is the best way.
I was thinking the same thing. Paypal is convenient, I'm sure, but more costly than the alternative of using one of the many on-line FX brokers.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 3:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We switched over to a credit union yesterday (Squamish Savings, which is a division of Vancity and so can use Vancity branches.) and so far so good. The initial service is better then anything we have gotten at RBC anyhow...

Not that we need it since we never deposit anywhere close to this amount, but off the bat the credit union has a authorized for deposits of up to 2,500 through the ATM without a hold, anything above 2,500 is held 5 days.

RBC which I have had in good standing for over 11 years and my wife almost 20 years, reluctantly raised it from 500 to 1,000 after several visits to complain, and they made sure to let us know they were doing us a favor....

Lower monthly fee as well which is nice.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Scotiabank have FINALLY included photo cheque deposit on their phone Apps.

Noticed when I downloaded an update today. Brand new feature in today's update.

Not surprisingly, it looks just like the Tangerine App cheque deposit screen, only red instead of orange....

Took them long enough
Old Feb 4th 2016, 11:36 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a real example of how badly banks in Canada rip people off.

It being that time of year, I had an appointment with my bank on Monday to get some RRSPs. My banking officer had suggested to me that I look at US equity funds. I checked that out with an old mate of mine in New York. He used to work on Wall Street and is now an independent financial adviser. He agreed about the US equity but told me to go for a low-cost index fund, rather than a managed fund.

The two plans my banker officer were an index fund with a management fee of 1.08%, and a managed fund, with a fee of 2.28%. The index fund looked better in terms of cost and returns, so I went for that.

My mate in NY went ballistic when he saw the fund profiles. He calculated the "low cost" fee to be about 35 times higher than it would be in the US!

I rather wish I'd stuck all my money into Rona shares on Monday. I'd have doubled it yesterday.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the TD's attitude to customers is summarized by the fact that their phone system consistently says that the wait time is "more than ten minutes".

Well, yes, I already know that, it's a "customer service" line, but what I really want to know is, approximately 30 minutes, approximately an hour, tomorrow, next week, maybe one day.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:42 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the TD's attitude to customers is summarized by the fact that their phone system consistently says that the wait time is "more than ten minutes".

Well, yes, I already know that, it's a "customer service" line, but what I really want to know is, approximately 30 minutes, approximately an hour, tomorrow, next week, maybe one day.
I had to do some telephone banking with Barclays recently. The woman I spoke to politely kept her mouth shut when I said I'd never been so happy to talk to a scouser.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

rossd01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks!

First post here so firstly...hi all! I've got a few issues with banking in Canada and i'm desperately looking for some help if its at all possible...this thread seems to be a top hit for banking/immigrating to Canada so figured this would be the best place. My situation is:

- I'm UK resident & citizen from birth, living & working in the UK.
- My girlfriend of 4.5 years is a Canadian citizen, on a 5 year ancestry visa to stay in UK.
- We're looking to move to Canada (Ontario) within the next year, around when her 5 year visa is due to expire mid-2017.
- I'm midway through preparing my CIC application for Permanent Residence - i fall into the skilled workers category for express entry, and i'm currently awaiting on my credential assessment (the last piece of the puzzle!) before applying.
- Part of the Visa application requires proof of funds (circa $12,000) to show you can support yourself.
- On visits back to Canada, we've left money with her parents and her parents are gifting us some money - As such, i can't submit the CIC application without proof of funds, so i need to open a bank account in Canada. Moving money to the UK, to then convert to pounds, would be ridiculous due to the exchange rate.
- My girlfriend already has an RBC account.

So, that's where i'm at!

The bank account is pivotal for the application to show proof of funds, but it seems every Canadian bank requires proof of visa (or documents from List A & B ala the Bank Act, and i can only provide a foreign passport as listed in B) - by definition, its looking like some sort of catch 22 where i can't get a visa without proof of funds (which i've explained are somewhat already in Canada), and i can't get proof of funds (i.e. a canadian bank account) without having a visa to show during the bank application. We've got an HSBC joint account in the UK, and whilst they provide a service to 'setup' an account in Canada, the actual setup is still regulated by local laws and all HSBC UK do is transfer information (for a £100 fee i might add...), so that now looks like its not going to be an option. HSBC did mention its at the Canadian branch's discretion, but it all seems very strict/by the book so I'm reluctant to assume HSBC Canada can do anything for me if i go into a branch.

What can i do? We're heading back for a holiday in April, are there any banks that would open an account for me? Ideally, we'd be looking at a joint account. Would HSBC Canada do anything for me? Or could i get added to my girlfriends RBC account as an additional account holder? I know I can easily get put on her RBC credit card as an additional card holder, but that doesn't really help any as its a bank account I need to be associated with.

I've seen enough episodes of Border Control Canada to know that it would be good to have a bank account card in hand incase i get marched to an ATM upon entry to show proof of funds...! But in real terms, I'd obviously have to submit banking statements as part of the visa application to CIC, and hopefully not have to deal with an over zealous border guard on the day of arrival.

Any help here would be great folks - my mind is totally fried

Last edited by rossd01; Feb 4th 2016 at 2:45 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossd01
Hi folks!

First post here so firstly...hi all! I've got a few issues with banking in Canada and i'm desperately looking for some help if its at all possible...this thread seems to be a top hit for banking/immigrating to Canada so figured this would be the best place. My situation is:

- I'm UK resident & citizen from birth, living & working in the UK.
- My girlfriend of 4.5 years is a Canadian citizen, on a 5 year ancestry visa to stay in UK.
- We're looking to move to Canada (Ontario) within the next year, around when her 5 year visa is due to expire mid-2017.
- I'm midway through preparing my CIC application for Permanent Residence - i fall into the skilled workers category for express entry, and i'm currently awaiting on my credential assessment (the last piece of the puzzle!) before applying.
- Part of the Visa application requires proof of funds (circa $12,000) to show you can support yourself.
- On visits back to Canada, we've left money with her parents and her parents are gifting us some money - As such, i can't submit the CIC application without proof of funds, so i need to open a bank account in Canada. Moving money to the UK, to then convert to pounds, would be ridiculous due to the exchange rate.
- My girlfriend already has an RBC account.

So, that's where i'm at!

The bank account is pivotal for the application to show proof of funds, but it seems every Canadian bank requires proof of visa (or documents from List A & B ala the Bank Act, and i can only provide a foreign passport as listed in B) - by definition, its looking like some sort of catch 22 where i can't get a visa without proof of funds (which i've explained are somewhat already in Canada), and i can't get proof of funds i.e. a canadian bank account without without a visa to show during the bank application. We've got an HSBC joint account in the UK, and whilst they provide a service to 'setup' an account in Canada, the actual setup is still regulated by local laws and all HSBC UK do is transfer information (for a £100 fee i might add...), so that now looks like its not going to be an option.

What can i do? We're heading back for a holiday in April, are there any banks that would open an account for me? Ideally, we'd be looking at a joint account. Would HSBC Canada do anything for me? Or could i get added to my girlfriends RBC account as an additional account holder? I can easily get put her RBC credit card as an additional card holder, but that doesn't really help any as its a bank account I need to be associated with.

I've seen enough episodes of Border Control Canada to know that i'd need a bank account card in hand incase i get marched to an ATM upon entry to show proof of funds...!

Any help here would be great folks - my mind is totally fried
Why are you doing a skilled worker EE application? The spousal application common law for you is a no brainer virtually guaranteed to get PR plus proof of funds not required per se unlike the skilled worker application.
Determine your eligibility – Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

or use the wiki on spousal sponsorship
Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

When you visit there is nothing to stop you opening a joint bank account.
Banking-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Feb 4th 2016, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

rossd01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, we looked at that initially but were put off by the 17 month timescale for spousal sponsorship, vs the 6 month timescale for skilled workers.

We wrote that off quite early on, as although under the spousal sponsorship visa the CIC can/could/will issue a work permit within the first 4 months of applying (basically, allowing you to work in Canada whilst waiting out the 17 month timescale), the caveat is that they will only issue a work permit if you have a visitor visa:

**Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC class applicants if they meet the following requirements**:
- a permanent residence application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
- the SCLPC class applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
- the SCLPC class applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student, or worker).

Aaaaand, low and behold, to be eligible for the visitor visa, you have to satisfy an immigration officer that you have sufficient funds:

**To be eligible for a Temporary Resident Visa, you have to**:
- satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay,
- show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home,
- not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,
- be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
- not be a risk to the security of Canada,
- provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility,
- be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).

Now, you could also assume this 'Visitor Visa' could be the same type of visa that we are granted when we go on a regular holiday (i.e. the stamp in your passport with a date of validity), if so the underlined point above might not be strictly enforced as I don't believe I've ever been asked for proof of funds when visiting the USA or Canada for summer or winter holidays. The only issue is the validity...i'd need to also have a return flight to the UK (they would never let me in on a one way ticket!) and hope in the back of my mind that the work permit is granted within the first 4 months. It'd be a heck of a gamble as i could potentially see me coming back to the UK to nothing - no home, nada, after 6 months.

I've just re-looked at this visitor visa requirements, and it appears that Canada will be introducing a process similar to what the USA do using the pre-authorisation to travel (ESTA) - the Canada equivalent is called the ETA, valid for 5 years for stays up to 6 months...in essence, it looks like a new form of visitor visa. So, i assume being in the UK that the ETA would be applicable to me...but again, if that work permit (as part of the spousal sponsorship) should not be granted within the first 4 months, it would be disastrous in having to leave Canada to come back to the UK, to largely nothing/no home.

PS - thanks for the links in the last post! I did notice some banks allow you to 'initiate' an account opening procedure when not a permanent resident, but under the Bank Act (Canada) they would ask for (in my case, based on my circumstances) a permanent residence card, which i cannot provide (see: Open an Account Online | Scotiabank). It just seems to be a brick wall at every turn! I know this would be much easier if i had british pounds in a british bank account (and gawd, with the exchange rate, it would be brilliant converting it to canadian dollars!) but sadly that's not the case as the funds are already in Canada, held by my partners parents.

Thoughts folks? (sorry, might be getting off topic so will try and focus on banking issues)

Last edited by rossd01; Feb 4th 2016 at 4:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.