Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bank Accounts for new immigrants on Work Visa

Bank Accounts for new immigrants on Work Visa

Old Dec 9th 2016, 7:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Accounts for new immigrants on Work Visa

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not always, depends on your relationship with the bank.
They won't have any relationship with the bank if starting a new account.

Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
So opening which account at BMO requires the involvement of a lawyer???
Sorry I should have been clear in my post, it involves a lawyer if you want to open the account prior to arrival. Certification of documents.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but finally got round to applying to RBC online newcomer's account. They only accept online applications between 8am and 4pm EST, so with time difference found it hard. Odd why this is the case, since I am applying online and not dealing with a real person. Once complete, it then told me some one would be in contact. That was over a week ago.

My current situation:
Salary paid into bank account, no fees charged regardless of balance due to salary being paid in. No need for checks, as not required or had anyone ask for one in Australia.
Do not use DD here (mainly due to getting paid mid month and so it can vary what day I get paid each month) but use online banking to pay bills, either on my mobile or web browser. All very straight forward and a step up from the UK.

CC have a couple, one with a annual fee and the other with no annual fee. Balances paid off end of month.
Both have around 55 days interest free credit on purchases.
Bank security is second to none, had my CC used by someone else. Got a phone call to my mobile, home phone and SMS to confirm if I was making the transaction.

Rarely use cash, as everything I do is with pay pass(think tap and go for CA). Rarely use an ATM, as if I do want cash I just get it at the supermarket when buying groceries.

Internet banking is a really slick experience, well at least compared to the UK. Still have my Smile account open, and with the recent updates does not come close to the experience offered by Australian banks.

Canada situation:
Still trying to go through the different banks and options.

Looking for something similar to my current situation, which I am struggling with.

Banks from what I can see want a minimum balance, which can range upto $5k. If they are going to offer free banking.
Checks appear to be a necessity, mainly due to the rental market.

The range of CC is a little overwhelming due to some perks I have no idea about and if worth applying for. And just noticed that the ones I have looked at the last few days only offer 21 days interest free.

RBC looked good on paper, but the online experience trying to create and account from abroad has kinda put me off.

Will I be able to find a bank account similar to what I already have?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any kind of relationship with HSBC?

If you are a Premier customer (in any country but could someone please verify) or can qualify for Premier status in Canada there's no charges.

S
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:24 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Canada situation:

Looking for something similar to my current situation, which I am struggling with.

Banks from what I can see want a minimum balance, which can range upto $5k. If they are going to offer free banking.

I've not had/used personal checks here in years. RBC online banking permits you to download and print a check if you need a void copy to set up a debit payment. I always got my tenants to pay via Interact email payment.

The range of CC is a little overwhelming due to some perks I have no idea about and if worth applying for. And just noticed that the ones I have looked at the last few days only offer 21 days interest free.

RBC looked good on paper, but the online experience trying to create and account from abroad has kinda put me off.

Will I be able to find a bank account similar to what I already have? Probably not.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Where as my landlady insists on 12 post dated cheques for my rent.

I have found cheques to be far more used in North America than they were in the UK.

Also second what RICH says that you are not likely to find an account in Canada with that level of service for no fee. There are free accounts available but you will be very much limited on the number and types of transactions you can make.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but finally got round to applying to RBC online newcomer's account. They only accept online applications between 8am and 4pm EST, so with time difference found it hard. Odd why this is the case, since I am applying online and not dealing with a real person. Once complete, it then told me some one would be in contact. That was over a week ago.

My current situation:
Salary paid into bank account, no fees charged regardless of balance due to salary being paid in. No need for checks, as not required or had anyone ask for one in Australia.
Do not use DD here (mainly due to getting paid mid month and so it can vary what day I get paid each month) but use online banking to pay bills, either on my mobile or web browser. All very straight forward and a step up from the UK.

CC have a couple, one with a annual fee and the other with no annual fee. Balances paid off end of month.
Both have around 55 days interest free credit on purchases.
Bank security is second to none, had my CC used by someone else. Got a phone call to my mobile, home phone and SMS to confirm if I was making the transaction.

Rarely use cash, as everything I do is with pay pass(think tap and go for CA). Rarely use an ATM, as if I do want cash I just get it at the supermarket when buying groceries.

Internet banking is a really slick experience, well at least compared to the UK. Still have my Smile account open, and with the recent updates does not come close to the experience offered by Australian banks.

Canada situation:

Free banking at PC Financial, no minimum account balance. RBC's cheapest account is $4 a month http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products...g-compare.html

As said by R I C H - but if you go to PC they provide cheques

That seems pretty standard on most cards here, I've found.

RBC I've found to be good. Personally, I'd wait until arriving and go into a branch to open the account.. it's quick and easy.

Which is why I suggested not to do so! It's really not necessary

Will I be able to find a bank account similar to what I already have?
RBC (and probably the rest) have online banking similar to that which you are used to - including depositing Canadian cheques by photo. Cash withdrawals can be done at most supermarkets etc., with no fee involved.

I don't think it's possible to compare like with like completely, all you can do is pick what appears to be the bank that best suits you for now.. you can always switch banks later!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 12th 2017 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Superstore opened a chequing account on the spot. There are no fees for normal use, and you can deposit and withdraw money through CIBC ATMs. Otherwise it's mostly Internet banking (e.g. for bill payments)

I think they also gave me a credit card before I had a job, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Of course, I did have a large amount of money in the account by then.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the feedback, really appreciated.

No relationship with HSBC, they are not really that big in Australia.
Can only think of one branch which is in the CBD of Melbourne.

Thanks RICH, was not aware of that feature of RBC, might have to trawl through the website in more detail. Handy to know and something I can bring up if I decide to open an account with them.

And yes from what I have seen I feel like I am pretty spoilt with the bank accounts here in Australia. Initially was a shock coming from the UK and free banking, but easy enough to get around the fees here if you work it correctly. The only downside is the ATM fees for using a different bank, whereby you can find 2-4 ATMs side by side at some locations.

Still in shock at some the fees the banks charge for day to day banking. Honestly cannot figure out how they can charge so much.

Thanks Siouxie, I did email PC financial and think I may be eligble for an account even with the id that they require. Just no newcomers account listed on the website, so unsure if they would give me a CC.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Which is why I suggested not to do so! It's really not necessary
Noted, just so used to doing things online now, even my current bank account ING direct(tangerine to you guys) was applied for online.

If they are going to give you the feature to apply online, then they must make it work or not make it available as does not serve any useful purpose for immigrants applying.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
Superstore opened a chequing account on the spot. There are no fees for normal use, and you can deposit and withdraw money through CIBC ATMs. Otherwise it's mostly Internet banking (e.g. for bill payments)

I think they also gave me a credit card before I had a job, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Of course, I did have a large amount of money in the account by then.
Do you have more details as cannot find anything online related, only real canadian superstore which I cannot see details of bank accounts.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you qualify for HSBC Premier (CA$100,000) or HSBC Advance (CA$25,000)?

S
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have more details as cannot find anything online related, only real canadian superstore which I cannot see details of bank accounts.
Actually, it would probably be under PC Financial. That's the banking side of the company that owns Superstore.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Could you qualify for HSBC Premier (CA$100,000) or HSBC Advance (CA$25,000)?

S
Possibly, but reading up more about PC Financials. Think I will choose either them or RBC.