Reload this Page >

Back to YVR, or not

Back to YVR, or not

Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

enduro is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Back to YVR, or not

Hi!
I need some advice as I'm in two minds about the whole moving back to Vancouver from London, and it's been like this for the last four+ months or so. I sound like a broken record while mulling it over with friends!

I spent two brilliant years living and working in Vancouver under the IEC visa, made great friends that I still keep in contact with and I thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor running, trekking and skiing lifestyle. The outdoor lifestyle hugely resonates with me...those mountain views, sea and fresh air...anddd relax. Great memories. I was last there three years ago and I've now successfully received my Canadian PR application, so I'm ready to go back! Woop .

But, while London doesn't have the outdoors lifestyle I'm after the things it does offer are also brilliant...I really genuinely enjoy my job everyday and all the co-workers, close friends and family, museums, and we have cheap travel to the continent offering the outdoor lifestyle I crave. It's just the day-to-day London living/commute I'm no way a fan of, but Vancouver is small and I'm wondering if it'll be a step back and I'm just looking at Vancouver through rose tinted glasses remembering the good times only. I'm still under 30 but I for sure need to make a decision in the next few months before the PR expires.

I've ummed and ahhed for quite a while about this, any advice?!

Cheers, enduro
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to YVR, or not

Hi, welcome to BE.

So you've got PR and are a UK citizen? If you loved your life in Canada then I'd head back there after going through the hassle and cost of getting PR, you can always come back to the UK if you decide it's not for you after all.

Or you could go and activate your PR, and then you'd have a few years before you have to move so you could give yourself more time to decide in the UK?

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

You may still have the rose tinted glasses on... but agree with Christmasoopma.

I think you should also consider the job market and housing market. Vancouver, like Toronto, the most expensive cities with the lowest medium salaries.

London is an awesome city, so much choice and things to do. And yes, easy and cheap access to the rest of Europe.

Canada, from what I have found, does have a lot to offer but getting anywhere cheap compared to London is not going to happen.

Since you mention your age, and have probably invested money getting your PR. I would certainly give it a go, even if just for a few years to confirm your decision.

London is an expensive place. Not sure what your future plans are, but you are only really moving from one expensive city to another expensive city.

If you can move with very little goods and share a house, this would be a cheap option to help you decide.

Aside, the commute you face in London may end up similar in Vancouver in the years to come.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has changed quite a bit in the last 3 years, especially with regard to prices and availability of houses and rental accommodation.

Rentals are below 1%, and rental about $1,000 or higher for a 1 bedroom. A high salary is needed to afford them.

Many if not most people are finding that they have to live outside Vancouver, even as far as Abbotsford ............that puts you into transit and commuting.

Do a bit more reading, or ask your friends what it is really like for a young person.

We can't tell what to do, you have to make up your own mind
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

think Van is a great place to live if you're over 30, but if you have kids affordability is a huge issue. We left 6 months ago and I miss the lifestyle - the outdoors and the relaxed way of life. I'd like to go back, but if we do it will be to somewhere else in BC.
What you say about accessing the outdoors from London is true - but it's not nearly as good as simply driving an hour or so and escaping the city.....night snowshoeing half an hour from your home. Honestly it was good for my soul.

I'm not sure how I'd like Van if I were under 30 and single... It certainly can't compete with London - but then only a handful of cities can so it's an unfair comparison.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

So you've got PR and are a UK citizen? If you loved your life in Canada then I'd head back there after going through the hassle and cost of getting PR, you can always come back to the UK if you decide it's not for you after all.

Or you could go and activate your PR, and then you'd have a few years before you have to move so you could give yourself more time to decide in the UK?

Good luck whatever you decide.
I agree with this. Try it for a year and see how you get on.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Stay in London.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Stay in London.
Oink! How did you hack Shard's account?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 11:11 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by enduro
But, while London doesn't have the outdoors lifestyle I'm after the things it does offer are also brilliant...I really genuinely enjoy my job everyday and all the co-workers, close friends and family, museums, and we have cheap travel to the continent offering the outdoor lifestyle I crave.
If I had all those things in London I would definitely re-assess the situation. It is not easy to re-create those things here. Many things are just as or more expensive here (accommodation one of the major things), jobs are fewer, job security is weaker, and pay is low compared to other cities, locals can be very cliquey, museums are few and not free. Commuting can be long and unpleasant if you have to move further up the Fraser Valley to find affordable accommodation.

However, as others have said, if you really want to go then give it a try but have a backup plan.

It's just the day-to-day London living/commute I'm no way a fan of, but Vancouver is small and I'm wondering if it'll be a step back and I'm just looking at Vancouver through rose tinted glasses remembering the good times only. I'm still under 30 but I for sure need to make a decision in the next few months before the PR expires.
You just might be. I do that about my time in London omitting the horrible commutes and crowds.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

As somebody else said. Come over and activate your PR. That way you have a couple of years to then make the move.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 12:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as Chilliwack these days.

But if renting the rent out in the burbs are not low enough to really reduce your cost of living once you account for car costs and all the gas.

Rents in the valley have increased a lot in the last few years. Well rent in decent buildings.

You can survive in Vancouver on a modest income just dont expect to do much.

40k year will get you by and pay rent and basic necessities and if single might allow some movie or pub nights.

Originally Posted by scilly
Vancouver has changed quite a bit in the last 3 years, especially with regard to prices and availability of houses and rental accommodation.

Rentals are below 1%, and rental about $1,000 or higher for a 1 bedroom. A high salary is needed to afford them.

Many if not most people are finding that they have to live outside Vancouver, even as far as Abbotsford ............that puts you into transit and commuting.

Do a bit more reading, or ask your friends what it is really like for a young person.

We can't tell what to do, you have to make up your own mind
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the Mods have any way of when threads are submitted and they have titles like this one this is automatically embedded into the thread

Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
40k year will get you by and pay rent and basic necessities and if single might allow some movie or pub nights.
It will. But honestly I wouldn't move to Van unless I was on six figures +
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
It will. But honestly I wouldn't move to Van unless I was on six figures +
$40,123.59 is 7 figures would that work?
Old Feb 8th 2018, 12:19 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
$40,123.59 is 7 figures would that work?

I wish I'd known you when you were still living in Lancashire, you sound like a great drinking buddy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.