Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

bearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Originally Posted by Shard
The Pacific summers are very decent. A bit heavy on the UV during the day, but the evenings are wonderful. British are summers can also be wonderful, just a bit unreliable, this one as evidence. It generally takes two full years (two annual cycles) to readjust IME.
Yeah Pacific summers are more reliable than the UK in that sense. Such are weather patterns, the UK is a bit short changed on that score. Fine except when you plan BBQ /outdoor events. I actually didn't find the Winter weather too bad either. When you live there, you find enough 'slots' to go skiing on a sunny day.

Do you currently live in the UK or Canada, Shard?

Cheers
Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

bearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Toon Alcona
Interesting, my family has just spent 3.5 years in southern ontario - working in Toronto but couldn't live there - and we're in the process of moving to the UK. I have a few friends who think I'm mad for leaving, and others who think I'm mad for staying so long!

Work is easier in Canada, no question. But infuriating.

Our main reason for going back to the UK is for family and friends, those guys who would make any place in the world feel like the best option. For us there comes a point when the country you live in is almost immaterial.
Hi Toon Alcona, well expressed comments. I think Family/friends is such a common reason for us expats to return to the homeland... We did just that. I would say be sure you're happy to give up whatever Canada gives you. It's difficult to really know till you return for sure.

We're in the process of looking at a return back to Canada, perhaps more savvy now, more switched into the fact we can see other family on visits. A lot of them want to visit us back in Canada...!

Re point, some people think you're mad to go /stay. Those are just general opinions, I find often from people who haven't emigrated. We got the comment 'why on earth would you come back?' when we arrived back in the UK.

Anyway you can only live each day. All the Very Best for your move.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We keep bouncing around the idea of moving to a different Province or back to Blighty, we make up our minds what to do then change our minds and start the process again, who knows where we'll end up but it for sure won't be Alberta in the long run.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I missed France when I moved back to SE England after 13 years and then missed SE England when I moved to NS Canada after 22 years. Now I'm in ON Canada and miss NS... Think there's a pattern...

Neither hubby or I can see ourselves moving make to Blighty. But never say never, although with 4 sons very settled here I can't see how I would ever leave them all behind!!!
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:03 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I missed about the UK when we moved to NS was the working culture. Now I work for a better company I couldn't imagine leaving here for anywhere else
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=

Our main reason for going back to the UK is for family and friends, those guys who would make any place in the world feel like the best option. For us there comes a point when the country you live in is almost immaterial.[/QUOTE]

Old Jul 20th 2015, 1:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearfacts
But traffic is bonkers, as is the case in a lot of the UK.
Any possible perceived advantages the UK has melt away after you've been sitting in traffic on the M25, M5, M6 wherever in a traffic jam for however long it has been, especially if it's raining.

Yes, yes, the traffic in Vancouver is equally appalling and driving in the winter in Canada is a bit vexing at times, and of course you could always move to say, Belfast where the traffic isn't so bad. (Although having said that, the A24 at rush hour is a mind blower).

But overall, the traffic in the UK is much worse, as you would expect from having 60 million people in such a small landmass. Even when the traffic is moving, you have all these crazy junctions and much narrower roads generally which pile on the stress.

I could never live there again. Every time I go over to visit I notice that it has gotten worse.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Any possible perceived advantages the UK has melt away after you've been sitting in traffic on the M25, M5, M6 wherever in a traffic jam for however long it has been, especially if it's raining.

Yes, yes, the traffic in Vancouver is equally appalling and driving in the winter in Canada is a bit vexing at times, and of course you could always move to say, Belfast where the traffic isn't so bad. (Although having said that, the A24 at rush hour is a mind blower).

But overall, the traffic in the UK is much worse, as you would expect from having 60 million people in such a small landmass. Even when the traffic is moving, you have all these crazy junctions and much narrower roads generally which pile on the stress.

I could never live there again. Every time I go over to visit I notice that it has gotten worse.
The 25 most idyllic English villages - Telegraph
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:10 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Swine! (No pun intended! ) those that claim thay that don't miss such beautiful English villages even a smidge must be bonkers or liars. We lived near Hickling- described very well in the article and Burnham Market- unfortunately the latter having been taken over by holiday home owners from London.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 11:31 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearfacts
Was it mainly the Winter that took you back to the UK, and what made you return to Canada may I ask?
the winter was always a pain, and I often joked if you offer me a job anywhere outside of Canada in March I'd take it...

The final straw was work, Management had changed at my place and I started to look around for alternatives, the big problem was that all my type of R&D work had either gone south to the US or gone back east to Europe..

I 've family in the US and Canada so hat wasn't a concern, in fact I have more family in NA than in Europe, it was the wife wasn't willing to go south, so I headed back east to follow the work...

Plus for what I do, the companies have always paid for me to move, it helps a lot with the ability to ping pong
Old Jul 20th 2015, 11:54 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'd dispute that... and I did drive in most Canadian cities too

Traffic still moves here journey time over similar conditions are comparable ( I get to compare Birmingham with Toronto and I think 'surprisingly' Birmingham is actually better, But I now use the train as its even easier)

the real test is bank holidays...and throw in a good bit of Google traffic you can see the size and scale of the jams in both countries when bank holiday kicks in ...

I think the reason is in two parts, between cities you have may more options on routes in the Uk so you can spread the load and not just jam on same single highway, also travel time going almost anywhere is shorter so you flex on your travel time
Old Jul 20th 2015, 1:06 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Swine! (No pun intended! ) those that claim thay that don't miss such beautiful English villages even a smidge must be bonkers or liars. We lived near Hickling- described very well in the article and Burnham Market- unfortunately the latter having been taken over by holiday home owners from London.
I miss beautiful English villages for sure but could I afford to live in one - no. Therefore they were just somewhere to drive to or drive through. Here I can afford to have that.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:49 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I miss beautiful English villages for sure but could I afford to live in one - no. Therefore they were just somewhere to drive to or drive through. Here I can afford to have that.
My mum lives in a gorgeous village about 20 minutes from York city centre. Her house is worth the equivalent of maybe $300k. Very affordable and idyllic.

It's also within a 45 minute commute to Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, Doncaster, and other cities so work opportunities are in abundance.

It's ace
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I grew up in the UK (her in NW England; me in N. Ireland). We met in Manchester where we spent 7 years. Then it was 7 years in Canada (Toronto); 2 years in the UK (London) and now 17 years in the US (Maryland; about 20 miles outside Washington, DC).

There is much that I still like and miss about the UK and Canada. Both are great to visit but of course that's not the same as living and working there - although I still have a good handle on what it means to do that in both countries. I do think I could quite happily live/work in the UK, Canada or the US.

Of course, it's never just as simple as living where you prefer to live. There are many other factors e.g. jobs, finances, personal and family circumstances etc. In terms of finances it's not just cost of living and salaries - it also costs money to move and settle in somewhere new.

Since my job is in IT (and I work at home a lot) and my wife is a nurse, we are actually in a good position to be mobile - in theory at least. In practice, it's difficult for us to move at the minute because our 4 kids are at various stages of their education and 3 will be in college next year (2 of them at different colleges in Maryland not far from where we now live). Countering that is the fact that we have aging parents and other family members with health issues back in the UK and we would like to be closer to them and see more of them.

So I don't think the best place to be is ever cast in stone. It's a fluid thing that depends on many factors and these factors often change with age and circumstances.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MikeUK
the winter was always a pain, and I often joked if you offer me a job anywhere outside of Canada in March I'd take it...

The final straw was work, Management had changed at my place and I started to look around for alternatives, the big problem was that all my type of R&D work had either gone south to the US or gone back east to Europe..

I 've family in the US and Canada so hat wasn't a concern, in fact I have more family in NA than in Europe, it was the wife wasn't willing to go south, so I headed back east to follow the work...

Plus for what I do, the companies have always paid for me to move, it helps a lot with the ability to ping pong
Interesting Mike. Good that you get some company support to relocate.

Also the vital point of having family in NA, more than Europe now for you. That's great. In our case we have no family in Canada, so a move there again means acceptance that you get on with things, and enjoy your lifestyle but need to put aside holidays to head back for our folks in the UK. This is common of course for expats, it's one of the conditions we need to recognise when we venture forth.

Sounds like you've enjoyed variety in different places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.