Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Audio Visual Technician seeking to relocate

Audio Visual Technician seeking to relocate

Old Nov 3rd 2017, 5:49 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Audio Visual Technician seeking to relocate

Hello chaps (and chappettes). It's been a while since I first joined and started posting and much has happened since then (most of it not even remotely related to immigration!).

I am now a corporate sound engineer (with AV skills on the side) and have been doing that for most of the last 6 years. On the family front my brother who lives in Vancouver has quite serious health issues (MS) and I am working to essentially keep a roof over his head and food in his belly. Obviously this is hard to do and to cope with 8000 miles away.

With my experience, my language abilities in English (I've been practicing the IELTS tests and getting as close to the maximum as it's possible to get sat in a coffee shop!) I am confident that on that front I am in a good position to get spotted in the pool. The only factor that stands against me is my age, 42. Obviously a job offer and/or PNP would seriously help and so to my plea:

Do any of the fine upstanding people on this forum either work in or know anyone who works in the Audio Visual Events world? If you don't ask you don't get...

I've researched things pretty extensively and now I'm freelancing in London I'm in a position to act on that research without having to beg for time off. I've been in contact with various companies by email and via linkedin but have hit that "I'm not in the country and can't start tomorrow" wall...

Ideally the GTA is the target (as it is for most immigrants, but the size of the city lends itself to my industry more than say Vancouver) but frankly if it means I can get my boots on the ground and be a few thousand miles closer to him I'll settle anywhere there's a conference venue!

I hope that someone might be able to help. I've never been mentally and professionally more ready to make the move and I've never had a better reason.

Thanks in advance. Jack.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Audio Visual Technician seeking to relocate

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
With my experience, my language abilities in English (I've been practicing the IELTS tests and getting as close to the maximum as it's possible to get sat in a coffee shop!) I am confident that on that front I am in a good position to get spotted in the pool.
What are you scoring on the CRS? I'm sure you're aware, but it's not a case of being 'spotted', it's simply a case of scoring as highly as possible.

Or are you thinking of a job offer first, and PR later down the line once you're there working on a Temp Work Permit? Whether or not you're work authorised or need sponsorship may make a difference to the answers you get from those with knowledge of your occupation and job hunting chances.

Best of luck to you.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Audio Visual Technician seeking to relocate

I did a quick Google search and found this company that have some job opportunities that might suit. They purport to be the largest independent audio-visual company in Canada..

Opportunities – FMAV