Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Asthma Inhalers

Asthma Inhalers

Old May 14th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice
Default Asthma Inhalers

Does anyone know the cost of the above in Ontario.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:22 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of
Default Re: Asthma Inhalers

Originally Posted by markan
Not answering your question directly, but here in BC my daughter's cost around $50. Depends how Ontario's medical plan compares to ours, but that should be a guide.

Warmly,

Frank
Old May 15th 2008, 1:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, not answering directly but I currently have pneumonia. The doctor prescribed an inhaler and asked if I had a drug plan, I said no and he gave me a sample one commenting "these are the best but they're $200 a pop, if I don't have any free ones left and the patient has no insurance I prescribe the $100 competitior". I won't name him in case the drug rep is watching!
Old May 15th 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Alberta, hubby collected two Salbutomol (sp?) inhalers and it ended up costing us about $8.00 - the Blue Cross coverage through his work plan picked up the rest - but I really don't recall how much they would have been if we had been required to pay for all of it - so that kinda helps, but doesn't!
Old May 15th 2008, 1:46 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Again, not answering directly but I currently have pneumonia. The doctor prescribed an inhaler and asked if I had a drug plan, I said no and he gave me a sample one commenting "these are the best but they're $200 a pop, if I don't have any free ones left and the patient has no insurance I prescribe the $100 competitior". I won't name him in case the drug rep is watching!
Look after yourself and get better soon
Old May 15th 2008, 1:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Here in Alberta, hubby collected two Salbutomol (sp?) inhalers and it ended up costing us about $8.00 - the Blue Cross coverage through his work plan picked up the rest - but I really don't recall how much they would have been if we had been required to pay for all of it - so that kinda helps, but doesn't!
It helps in pointing out that an employer funded drug/dental/optical plan is something to consider seriously in looking at jobs, especially if you have unhealthy children.
Old May 15th 2008, 1:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Look after yourself and get better soon
Thank you, I'm heavily drugged. Fantastic service from the walk in clinic, x-rays, follow up x-rays, appropriate antibiotics, puffer. 90 minutes desk-doctor-desk for first appointment including the x-rays. Service as good as it gets, total cost $33 for the drugs.

Unfortunately where I'm working now lots of people have pneumonia and one has TB, it's not a healthy place. The management says that's due to the immigrants and migrant workers - cute since I'm both.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:00 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I'm heavily drugged. Fantastic service from the walk in clinic, x-rays, follow up x-rays, appropriate antibiotics, puffer. 90 minutes desk-doctor-desk for first appointment including the x-rays. Service as good as it gets, total cost $33 for the drugs.

Unfortunately where I'm working now lots of people have pneumonia and one has TB, it's not a healthy place. The management says that's due to the immigrants and migrant workers - cute since I'm both.
I found the service in Regina the same when I had a chest infection after Christmas it was A1.

By the way to answer the posters original question - in Saskatchewan my Asthma inhaler costs $99 for my Symbicort (preventer) but with my OH's works plan I paid $26. I haven't bought Ventolin yet because I brought a few with me from Wales. So a good insurance is a must.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough

I'm in Ontario. I had a Salbutimol prescribed a few weeks ago and it was $19.00, that was without insurance
Old May 15th 2008, 4:13 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

FLOVENT HFA 250MCG INHALER (AEROSOL) 120 metered doses, in Calgary $102.28
Old May 15th 2008, 4:25 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

It's an interesting point though, it's a bit late testing us for bad stuff when we have already been here for at least 6 months before being called for meds if we are having our AEO expedited SW route thing be processed.

I had to go for a medical to be here, as I work with little people and big people who are at risk etc.............I have no problem with the idea of meds for WP holder which then should be used for PR apps or something, when you see how bad TB etc is, and that's before we touch on the subject of HIV!

I know I am digressing from the thread, but just had to say that

As for the inhalers no idea, but for the first time since I was 7 I had a summer without hayfever and the need for one here on the prairies!!!!! About the only good thing about the prairies environment, along with the winter blue skies, endless sun, warmer winters, chinooks,

man i need to go now!

All the best dbd, take care old chap!

Mrs M XX
Old May 15th 2008, 4:41 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter had 3 types in the uk plus a portable nebulizer - Hospitalized 4 winters out previous 5 before coming here.

I have used sabutenol many times always carried 1 during winters

did this buteyko breathing techniques ( Works depending on real reason for constriction of airways) and coming to the dry cold of Manitoba and haven't brought 1 inhaler since coming here.

So depending on your trigger you may be lucky enough to not need to get 1.

Heres the Charges

Please visit our Asthma Action Resource Centre for a full list of resources that can be viewed online, or ordered through our online ordering system and mailed to Ontario residents free of charge. Whether you have asthma, are from a family affected by asthma, a teacher or daycare staff, a health care provider, or someone who would just like to learn more, we have resources for you.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

richardb is an unknown quantity at this point

In Alberta I'm using Advair (was Seretide back in Ireland) and Salbutamol. I have Alberta healthcare + bluecross and pay $25 a month for these. I know back home the seretide was well over 100 euros.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this some time ago on the same subject so here it is:

I have to fund 100% of the cost of my meds as I am retired and my drugs plan over here does not cover me for 'pre-existing' conditions. Asthsma is the only one I had on arrival here and its gets expensive.

Here is a break down of the costs I incurr on my asthma meds

Serevent Discus 60 dose (Enough for 30 days) $60.84 = over $720 per anum (not including dispensing fees)

Flowvent (enough for 30 days also) $44.77 = over $528 per anum (not including dispensing fees)

Salbutamol(similar to Ventolin-rarley need to use it) $53.86 + little over $160 at most per anum)

Dispensing fees per item can vary both up and down. I am paying $9.49 per item at the moment. I usually get my doctor to prescribe me six of each (other then the Salbutamol) at a time and get them all at once thereby saving on dispensing fees.

Hope this helps. When one is on a fixed income as I am, its a cosly chunk of change! However, I comfort myself in the realization my situation could be worse!
Old May 18th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

The Hampsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
I posted this some time ago on the same subject so here it is:

I have to fund 100% of the cost of my meds as I am retired and my drugs plan over here does not cover me for 'pre-existing' conditions. Asthsma is the only one I had on arrival here and its gets expensive.

Here is a break down of the costs I incurr on my asthma meds

Serevent Discus 60 dose (Enough for 30 days) $60.84 = over $720 per anum (not including dispensing fees)

Flowvent (enough for 30 days also) $44.77 = over $528 per anum (not including dispensing fees)

Salbutamol(similar to Ventolin-rarley need to use it) $53.86 + little over $160 at most per anum)

Dispensing fees per item can vary both up and down. I am paying $9.49 per item at the moment. I usually get my doctor to prescribe me six of each (other then the Salbutamol) at a time and get them all at once thereby saving on dispensing fees.

Hope this helps. When one is on a fixed income as I am, its a cosly chunk of change! However, I comfort myself in the realization my situation could be worse!
Macadian, are the dispensing fees based on the number of items dispensed or are they based per visit? Sound like per item, until I read the penultimate paragraph you posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.