Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Aside from language, what's the difference between Toronto and Montréal?

Aside from language, what's the difference between Toronto and Montréal?

Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aside from language, what's the difference between Toronto and Montréal?

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
...Montreal plays to its "quasi-European" charms more than is justified...
I had a guide book many years ago that said Enthusiastic Canadians consider Paris to be the Montreal of France.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aside from language, what's the difference between Toronto and Montréal?

Id second what most of the posters have said here, I know Toronto reasonably, but have only been to Montreal once, just for week, but really enjoyed it. Its cold in both cities in the winter, but Montreal cope with it better, and dont call the army in when it snows! I think you would adjust to the winter if you know what to expect.....Ive spent 8 years in Canada the only thing that really bothers me about the winter is the damn windchill, apart from that, I haven't got a problem with winter, I don't think you would either.

From how you have described yourself, I would go for Montreal, as some posters have said it provides you with more options, in many different apects of life, and although its in Quebec I find you can communicate in English easily in the downtown area, and if you make an effort in French elsewhere, they will normally meet you halfway. Oh and if your young and single; the Montreal girls have real style!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HughSelwynMauberley
- 30 is a bit much, December weather in Glasgow varies between 3 degrees and - 5, sometimes getting down to - 10 on cold nights.

Googling is less effective than talking to a human. I came on this forum to ask actual people who can answer me much better than Google can. It's a wee bit petulant and rude to answer a query with 'Google it' don't you think lad?

Googling gives you basic information on which to base your question so you don't sound so ignorant.

As for the last 4 words ................ did you perchance notice the symbol by the side of my name ??????
Old Sep 19th 2017, 7:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Googling is less effective than talking to a human. I came on this forum to ask actual people who can answer me much better than Google can. It's a wee bit petulant and rude to answer a query with 'Google it' don't you think lad?
I think you'll fit in well in Montreal.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Picture it like this. It's the story of two brothers. One brother is a womanizing alcoholic. The other brother is an accountant. I'll let you figure out which one is which.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
Picture it like this. It's the story of two brothers. One brother is a womanizing alcoholic. The other brother is an accountant. I'll let you figure out which one is which.
Edinburgh is the accountant and Glasgow is the alcoholic?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

About 12 people live in Inverness and I reckon they all look and act like Outlander characters, you mean Aberdeen?
Well, aren't you just an upbeat, sunny delight to deal with.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Well, aren't you just an upbeat, sunny delight to deal with.
He has a point. Everyone knows that they can Google info if they want, so it's not really necessary to suggest that. People come to a forum to chat and through that chat get information that hadn't even thought of.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
Or just watch this:

Bonus tip: if you get the DVD (try your local library, if you're in Canada), switching the languages for audio/subtitles is a great way to tune your ear in to Qubecois/Joual.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Before I finally moved to Mississauga, part of the GTA West of Toronto, while my visa was being processed. Many hours on you tube, stumbled across this.

Now after being here around 8 months, and chats with Colleagues and people in my office block. I would say this is a good take on the dating scene between the two cities.

A colleague who moved earlier this year from Sauga to Montreal, loves it. The people, the culture, the architecture, things to do in the city, the outdoor events during the summer.

Toronto is nice, lots of things to do, outdoor events during the summer and so on. But the city feels a little run down, the subway leaves a bit to be desired for a city its size. It works and nice that it even has one, but has not been invested in for years thus why it feels small compared to the actual size of Toronto.

How long would you be planning to stay?

Why not spend some time in both cities and feel what one sits with you best?

Speaking French will open up more opportunities in Montreal, and also help in Toronto to a lesser extent.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Two cities with different cultures, different histories, different demographics, etc. Yes, the language is different and the climate somewhat, but that's not what makes the two cities different.

Montreal is older and has a longer, more strained, polarized history. It has always been a city of people who wear their heart on their sleeve, where people are more open to be themselves, who aren't afraid to debate, to protest. It's always been a city of artists, poets, musicians, fashion houses, and has a long tradition of celebrating the arts. It's a part of the fabric of the city. It's a city where people move to pursue the arts because the city embraces that culture and it's just a part of the lifestyle. The harsh, long winter climate particularly nurtures the arts.

Comparatively, Toronto is where you go to climb the corporate ladder. It's where all the national headquarters are in Canada so it has more of a business first vibe. Toronto is cool and has a great arts scene, don't get me wrong. But Montreal, the arts are entrenched in the city's culture.

If given a choice, go to Montreal. Believe it or not, people speak English there. Unlike anywhere else in Canada, it's a bilingual city. Most people speak both languages.

Edit: Another thought. Montreal has been a proper large, high-density city for longer and the infrastructure reflects that. It's not unusual to meet people born and raised in Montreal who have never learned how to drive, who rely upon public transportation to get around. This is typically unheard of elsewhere in Canada. Montreal also has a strong rent culture. It is not shameful to not own your own house in Montreal because it's what people have done for generations. So this sets it apart from other cities. The city just feels more established.

If you can get your hands on Taras Grescoe's "Sacre Blues", it gives you insight into Quebecois culture and Montreal culture and why it exists the way it does. So that's another major difference between Montreal and Toronto: the culture of Quebec has a long history and its many quirks. Like Scotland, it has alegacy of referendums to separate, and so on. If you move to Montreal, the culture becomes more evident and you are not merely living in Canada, but living in Quebec, and all the politics that comes with.

Last edited by Lychee; Sep 22nd 2017 at 12:50 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:49 am
Yo

What a great post Lychee.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
...Montreal...Unlike anywhere else in Canada, it's a bilingual city...
<cough cough>

1969 - New Brunswick enacted its first Official Languages Act, making the province Canada's first, and only, officially bilingual province.

2002 - The City of Moncton becomes Canada's first officially bilingual city.

Quebec has declared itself officially unilingual (French only).

Moncton doesn't share only the first three letters of its name with Montreal. We have language disputes too.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
If you can get your hands on Taras Grescoe's "Sacre Blues", it gives you insight into Quebecois culture and Montreal culture and why it exists the way it does.
Added this to my reading list.

Great post, btw. Reminded me of several analogies that I feel exist vis-a-vis Barcelona and Montreal. I spent a summer living and working in the former (effectively an "internal secondment" during a big EU project that worked out for all concerned) and loved it there, and tend to feel similar whenever I visit Montreal...

I really do think we'll end up there eventually. One of our UK friends married a local and they've settled there, friends from round here relocated from Mac to McGill (they're Catalan, funnily enough) so plenty of opportunity to visit in the meantime