Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arrived In Ottawa :)

Arrived In Ottawa :)

Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arrived In Ottawa :)

Hi all ,
That's us now officially living in Canada, have sorted out most hurdles that we came across, thanks to this website and all the good folk on it.
One stumbling block is trying to get DVLA to send copies of our drivers license to Johnston's insurance company ,the fax number starts with 1888 but DVLA can't seem to fax it to the company.
Does anyone know what digits they put in front of that number.
As we need to get this done ASAP

Cheers
Arty
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived In Ottawa :)

I doubt a Canadian 800 number works worldwide as it is a toll free number here in Canada. Maybe find a local number for the insurance company and have them fax to that? They would obviously need to add the country code prior to the number but dialing 'country code-area code-phone/fax number' should work just fine.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't they scan to a pdf and send that?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Can't they scan to a pdf and send that?
Err its a UK company ya think they know how to do that especially if its a Polish/Latvian person doing it
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi all ,
That's us now officially living in Canada, have sorted out most hurdles that we came across, thanks to this website and all the good folk on it.
One stumbling block is trying to get DVLA to send copies of our drivers license to Johnston's insurance company ,the fax number starts with 1888 but DVLA can't seem to fax it to the company.
Does anyone know what digits they put in front of that number.
As we need to get this done ASAP

Cheers
Arty

Should be just 00 in front of the 1888 number.

Welcome to Ottawa, btw. If you need a hand with anything or want a wee tour of the city/cuppa, gimme a shout.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
thanks for all of your help ,finally had to use my cousins fax machine as the alternative numbers Johnstone Insurance gave me just would not work.Ps Johnstones gave me the best quote for a car I am going to buy.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrishP
Should be just 00 in front of the 1888 number.

Welcome to Ottawa, btw. If you need a hand with anything or want a wee tour of the city/cuppa, gimme a shout.
Hi Trisha,
we are living in Kanata (Morgans Grant ) love the place so far,well we are but my son Lewis aged 17 wants to go home next month
Sounds good for a coffee ,will be heading Downtown today for car purposes.

cheers
Art and Family
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:57 pm

a northern soul is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ,we are moving to Ottawa as life in Quebec is just too much of a struggle for me and my Anglo-Canadian mrs and while we want to head west we don`t wanna be too far from Montreal for family reasons.
Is KANATA a good area for Anglos to live? I will be spending my weekends reccying different burbs out but would be very grateful for other expats opinions on locality and quality of life .
Old Oct 18th 2014, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by a northern soul
hi ,we are moving to Ottawa as life in Quebec is just too much of a struggle for me and my Anglo-Canadian mrs and while we want to head west we don`t wanna be too far from Montreal for family reasons.
Is KANATA a good area for Anglos to live? I will be spending my weekends reccying different burbs out but would be very grateful for other expats opinions on locality and quality of life .
Hi there,
Kanata is a great place not too far from Downtown around 30 mins and equally the countryside is right on your doorstep.We travel to costco in gatineau and it takes about 45 mins.
All in all we are pleased with our choice,the only down side is our son is going back to the UK.Hopefully he will end up coming back next year if not then we will have to reassess the whole Canada thing.

Arty and co
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:22 pm

Hi there,
Kanata is a great place not too far from Downtown around 30 mins and equally the countryside is right on your doorstep.We travel to costco in gatineau and it takes about 45 mins.
All in all we are pleased with our choice,the only down side is our son is going back to the UK.Hopefully he will end up coming back next year if not then we will have to reassess the whole Canada thing.

Arty and co
Many Thanks!!and I hope your son comes back next year.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Arty and co
There's a Costco in Kanata
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Trisha,
we are living in Kanata (Morgans Grant ) love the place so far,well we are but my son Lewis aged 17 wants to go home next month
Sounds good for a coffee ,will be heading Downtown today for car purposes.

cheers
Art and Family
Hey, I only just saw your message now as I don't come on here often. Drop me a private message if you're still up for that cuppa (or drink! ). I'm only about 15 minutes west of you, just beyond Carp. I pass by Morgan's Grant when I head into Kanata to the gym, as I come in via Old Second Line Road to Terry Fox.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Just about anywhere west of downtown is predominantly Anglo - I believe at the last census, only 7% of the west of the city is Francophone. You're more likely to hear Mandarin or Cantonese spoken in Kanata than French.
Depends on what you're looking for in terms of property and area ... do you need to be near work/schools/shops or like me, want peace and quiet on a bit of acreage? Do you want brand new property in a new subdivision or an older home in an established area? Once you've pinned down answers, it'll be a lot easier to pinpoint where you want to go. If you're looking to buy, a realtor would be able to do all the legwork for you.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by TrishP
Just about anywhere west of downtown is predominantly Anglo - I believe at the last census, only 7% of the west of the city is Francophone. You're more likely to hear Mandarin or Cantonese spoken in Kanata than French.
Depends on what you're looking for in terms of property and area ... do you need to be near work/schools/shops or like me, want peace and quiet on a bit of acreage? Do you want brand new property in a new subdivision or an older home in an established area? Once you've pinned down answers, it'll be a lot easier to pinpoint where you want to go. If you're looking to buy, a realtor would be able to do all the legwork for you.
Hi,thanks for your post
We are looking for somewhere quietish and close to the city,we are a pair of hardworking middle class Dinks looking to rent a townhouse or a house,until we have jobs in place. Older homes would be preferable but we just are not suited to apartment living
Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,thanks for your post
We are looking for somewhere quietish and close to the city,we are a pair of hardworking middle class Dinks looking to rent a townhouse or a house,until we have jobs in place. Older homes would be preferable but we just are not suited to apartment living
Kanata or Barrhaven are prob your best bet as there are a fair number of private rentals available, with a bus stop on every corner. Kanata and Barrhaven are also hubs for express buses during rush hour, so, gives you better flexibility for travel, should you end up working in the downtown core. There are a number of property rental agencies in the city, such as Minto, who rent out town homes, but you're then tied to a 12 month contract.
If you need any help, just PM me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.