Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Area's to live - working in Mississauga

Area's to live - working in Mississauga

Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Area's to live - working in Mississauga

We live in Milton. We needed somewhere halfway between Cambridge (where I was working) and Mississauga (where OH was working). It worked out to be about a 40 minute commute for each of us.

We like Milton - our neighbourhood is like Pleasantville (apart from our immediate neighbours, but you can't win 'em all). Areas of Milton still have the "small town" feel, but it's growing at a ridiculous rate, so you still have access to the big box stores, lots of different routes to travel if the 401 is jammed (as it is every day), etc. We can drive 5 minutes one way and see cows, 5 minutes the other way and it's more built up. We also have the Niagara Escarpment, which is beautiful and great for walking/hiking/mountain biking and even a baby ski lodge (Kelso-Glen Eden) if you're just starting out.

Downsides to Milton - there is a bit of animosity between "Old Milton" and "New Milton"....not that you'd notice, but it is there. Houses are still climbing rapidly in price, and in our area there's actually a waiting list of people waiting to move in!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Personally Id stay away from Northern and far Eastern Mississauga, just like a lot of scarboro and markham have a very very high Asian population and hence half the shop signs are in Mandarin a lot of those areas of Mississauga border to Brampton which has a very high East Indian/Pakistani population and hence has lots of shops geared to that culture with arabic/urdu signs. Call me old fashioned but I like to understand the signs of a shop when Im walking in my neighbourhood and my mandarin/arabic/urdu is none too good but then thats just me, each to their own as they say.
How 'bout deranged ? How long have you lived in Mississauga ?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:10 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cyan
How 'bout deranged ? How long have you lived in Mississauga ?
I never did I lived in Oakville for 2 years just passed thru Mississauga a lot with travel and work and pleasure, like I said lots of nice areas of Mississauga to live but also IMO lots of also not so nice areas to live, but then that goes with most places.

Thanks for the insult by the way!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
We live in Milton. We needed somewhere halfway between Cambridge (where I was working) and Mississauga (where OH was working). It worked out to be about a 40 minute commute for each of us.

We like Milton - our neighbourhood is like Pleasantville (apart from our immediate neighbours, but you can't win 'em all). Areas of Milton still have the "small town" feel, but it's growing at a ridiculous rate, so you still have access to the big box stores, lots of different routes to travel if the 401 is jammed (as it is every day), etc. We can drive 5 minutes one way and see cows, 5 minutes the other way and it's more built up. We also have the Niagara Escarpment, which is beautiful and great for walking/hiking/mountain biking and even a baby ski lodge (Kelso-Glen Eden) if you're just starting out.

Downsides to Milton - there is a bit of animosity between "Old Milton" and "New Milton"....not that you'd notice, but it is there. Houses are still climbing rapidly in price, and in our area there's actually a waiting list of people waiting to move in!
Sorry, for some reason it won't let me edit. Milton does not have a Brit contingent as such...but then again we didn't move to Canada to be surrounded by Brits!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Sorry, for some reason it won't let me edit. Milton does not have a Brit contingent as such...but then again we didn't move to Canada to be surrounded by Brits!
that's supposed to be one of the "things" about Oakville, but to be honest I've not found it so. We have no other brits in our immediate neighbourhood, and if you don't go out of your way to drink in any of the Brit-frequented watering holes, there's no reason to end up in a sort of expat bubble.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:12 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I agree they are pretty confined to the watering holes which if u ever need that British mentality to talk to then you know where to go.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree they are pretty confined to the watering holes which if u ever need that British mentality to talk to then you know where to go.
I'm intrigued by "that British mentality." If it's that particular sort of British mentality that considers Mississauga too "ethnic" I think I'll stick to my Canadian (and hyphenated Indian, Danish, Italian and Portuguese) neighbours, thanks.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:58 pm
No time for muppets!

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I'm intrigued by "that British mentality." If it's that particular sort of British mentality that considers Mississauga too "ethnic" I think I'll stick to my Canadian (and hyphenated Indian, Danish, Italian and Portuguese) neighbours, thanks.
I love how the lefties jump to conclusions! Ahh how I love tree huggers they have made this world what it is today.

By British mentality I mean someone who grew up there and knows what black pudding is and how to eat fish and chips and has the same warped sense of humour we do to like the young ones and bottom cus as close as canadians are to Brits (and Ive found some very close 1st, 2nd, 5th and 10th generation ones with Italian, German, Spanish & even UK descent) its nice to once in a blue moon share a laugh with someone from your culture of birth and talk about football with someone who doesnt call it Soccer after all nothing can every change the fact u were born and grew up in a country no matter how much you embrace (which IMO you should do 100%) your new country.

In my experience lots of people do like that and to get the taste of the home country from time to time and as this is supposed to be a forum for passing and sharing information to help people rather than judgements and political messages then the more exact information people get the better so they can make an informed desicion based on what they want from life but then again thats just my (what was it Oakvillian?) "British Mentality"
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I love how the lefties jump to conclusions! Ahh how I love tree huggers they have made this world what it is today.
Oakvillian, a lefty tree hugger. Oh my, I suppose that Maggie Thatcher was a little pink around the gills too.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oakvillian, a lefty tree hugger. Oh my, I suppose that Maggie Thatcher was a little pink around the gills too.
Gosh, don't you remember that party where she sang The Red Flag with Arthur Scargill accompanying her on the spoons. Oh how we laughed. Happy days.