Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:56 pm
Banned

Rubeus Hagrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
That's right the UK has no farmland and from coast to coast is covered in terraced houses and oh my god the people...

Stereotype much? A criticism laid at Canada's door is that the people are superficial but of course that's not true, in much the same way that it isn't true for the UK. For someone who doesn't get out much and has no friends you seem to have a lot of bright shiny opinions- what are they based on?
I was born in a very rural, isolated part of England, but grew up elsewhere. My opinions are based on 21 years of first-hand experience.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:09 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubeus Hagrid
I was born in a very rural, isolated part of England, but grew up elsewhere. My opinions are based on 21 years of first-hand experience.
So in an "isolated" part of England, not going out and by your own admission no friends you can tell all this? Also your definition of chav is wrong... It's an insult to the very class of people you "claim" to be in..

You know what I'm not feeding you anymore..

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 27th 2015 at 7:13 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:12 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect OP has no interest in actually helping himself. When he was last active, I did a bunch of research into free online GCSE programs, clearly his view on that is simply "it's too good to be true" and thus didn't look into it.

I am also in the bridges and goats boat on this one at this point.

If OP is actually telling the truth, then he'll be in for quite a shock when he gets to Canada and finds that it wants proper qualifications even more than the UK does.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone. I'm 21, desperate to move.

I live in Britain, I have no GCSE's.

I really, really want to move to Canada, so much so that I want to find an apprenticeship that I can do that will get me into Canada a few years down the line, and that I can do with no work or school experience.

Thanks very much for the interest and help.
As far as I am aware you will be unable to participate in a formal Canadian Journeyman apprenticeship unless you hold PR, and without a Canadian high school "Grade 12" or post secondary equivalency, you will also likely struggle to find any other form of skilled employment in Canada

You may wish to consider the IEC, and working as a "helper" / labourer within the construction or maintenance industries; however be aware there is lots of competition for the "unskilled" roles, as they are largely unregulated, and not generally unionized.

The advantage you may have is that I presume you are a native english speaker, which will certainly be to your advantage as may of the candidates for the "unskilled" roles tend to be recent immigrants, who are still working on their spoken / written English & French.

Once you have a year or twos experience apply for PR under CEC, and then look at which trade Journeyman apprenticeship you wish to pursue as a PR.

This route would certainly be a quicker, and more effective route than completing a UK "apprenticeship" (which are not generally recognized in Canada) and then looking to convert to Canadian trade licensing, which can be tricky and time consuming to say the least; as you would also need at least 9000 hours post "apprenticeship" trade experience to challenge most trade exams in Canada.

Last edited by chrisro55; Apr 27th 2015 at 7:24 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I suspect OP has no interest in actually helping himself. When he was last active, I did a bunch of research into free online GCSE programs, clearly his view on that is simply "it's too good to be true" and thus didn't look into it.

I am also in the bridges and goats boat on this one at this point.

If OP is actually telling the truth, then he'll be in for quite a shock when he gets to Canada and finds that it wants proper qualifications even more than the UK does.
Unless he goes for Sorcerer's Apprentice of course.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:57 pm
Banned

I'm not very popular on this forum am I?

1) I stand by what I said on chavs. Whoever argued my point is either middle class, or not of my gemeration. Possibly both.

2) Of course I want to bloody well help myself! That's why I'm making these threads, and that's why I got some forms to fill in for a bank account. I am trying lol. Seriously. It's hard to find inspiration when you see....... Chavs, pensioners, bricks, concrete. I promise you England is one of a kind in this regard.

I find it hypocritical that so many people are trying to inform me that thinking of moving to Canada is not a good choice, however this is a forum of people who did just that.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:07 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not very popular on this forum am I?

1) I stand by what I said on chavs. Whoever argued my point is either middle class, or not of my gemeration. Possibly both.

2) Of course I want to bloody well help myself! That's why I'm making these threads, and that's why I got some forms to fill in for a bank account. I am trying lol. Seriously. It's hard to find inspiration when you see....... Chavs, pensioners, bricks, concrete. I promise you England is one of a kind in this regard.

I find it hypocritical that so many people are trying to inform me that thinking of moving to Canada is not a good choice, however this is a forum of people who did just that.
Hi there
What help do you actually want? People have given you pointers towards the IEC programme which seems to me to be the obvious route for you to take. I'm not really sure what else people on here can offer you. I think coming to Canada for a year or two and seeing where that takes you is a great idea if that's what you want to do. Short of marrying a Canadian, I'm not sure what other avenues are open to you.

In the meantime, why don't you consider moving back to a more rural environment if that's where you want to be? Apply for farm worker positions, or look into agricultural college. These are all just suggestions others have already made. You have to help yourself.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Hi there
What help do you actually want? People have given you pointers towards the IEC programme which seems to me to be the obvious route for you to take. I'm not really sure what else people on here can offer you. I think coming to Canada for a year or two and seeing where that takes you is a great idea if that's what you want to do. Short of marrying a Canadian, I'm not sure what other avenues are open to you.

In the meantime, why don't you consider moving back to a more rural environment if that's where you want to be? Apply for farm worker positions, or look into agricultural college. These are all just suggestions others have already made. You have to help yourself.
You're right. I've been given all the advice that there is to give.

I now have to brave this lonely road alone. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:20 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

You're right. I've been given all the advice that there is to give.

I now have to brave this lonely road alone. Thanks.
f you're serious about coming to Canada and this isn't just a wind-up, then have a look at the "Workaway Programme" and another one called "HelpX" I think. I don't know the correct spelling, but there's another international work experience thing called WOOFA's (it's not called that but if you google it you'll find it). These are basically organisations that help young people find work experience or exposure to different Countries. I'm not explaining it very well but if you look up their websites it might give you a starting point and a longer term goal to aim for.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

from the Cambridge Dictionary Online ....

chav ............. an insulting word for someone, usually a young person, whose way of dressing, speaking, and behaving is thought to show their lack of education and low social class

illustrations show young people in pants with the crotches at their knees, and baseball caps with the peak turned sideways

If true, we got lots of them here

they're called skateboarders
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:23 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by scilly
from the Cambridge Dictionary Online ....

chav ............. an insulting word for someone, usually a young person, whose way of dressing, speaking, and behaving is thought to show their lack of education and low social class

illustrations show young people in pants with the crotches at their knees, and baseball caps with the peak turned sideways

If true, we got lots of them here

they're called skateboarders
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:28 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I often fear that there no distinction, but thanks.

I do want to get into farming, yes. I wonder if I could possibly be accepted into some kind of apprenticeship for that kind of work? But if it pays minimum wage, and I won't find anyone my own age.. That doesn't seem great does it?

This is what I mean! There's so much more Percieved opportunity abroad. England is going down the gutter quick.

Back to Canada... Someone asked me where I went to in Canada. I went to Alberta. What I found was that the buildings were much bigger, that there was much more diversity as far as people and different places were concerned. Just walking down the "sidewalks" inspired me. Seeing the beautiful natural geography that we simply don't have over here.. We only have terraced houses and superficial people, all of whom are mostly the same.
Yes it's different to UK and possibly exciting. But for 6 months of the year it's covered in snow and one reason we want to leave Alberta is the lack of Diversity.

There is nothing beautiful about England, it's all Terraced houses...
https://www.google.ca/search?q=engla...w=1366&bih=627
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:05 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yes it's different to UK and possibly exciting. But for 6 months of the year it's covered in snow and one reason we want to leave Alberta is the lack of Diversity.

There is nothing beautiful about England, it's all Terraced houses...
https://www.google.ca/search?q=engla...w=1366&bih=627
Ha you should put a warning on it.. This may cause homesickness😜
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ha you should put a warning on it.. This may cause homesickness😜
Apologies It just annoys me so much when people and it's usually Brits that say there is nothing pretty in the UK. It's a stunning Country.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Apologies It just annoys me so much when people and it's usually Brits that say there is nothing pretty in the UK. It's a stunning Country.
True ............... you just have to pick your places

Northern mill towns are not even beautiful ................ but the moors just outside them are stunning, especially if you like remote and isolated!

Yes, I do agree with you that there are very beautiful areas in Britain ............. that's why they get so many tourists and people wanting to move there.

I'm happy here though .............. I prefer being close to the sea, but there's nothing to beat the Rockies, or even the Prairies at the right time of year.

That's why Canada gets so many tourists and people wanting to move here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.