Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An apprenticeship that will get me into Canada?

Originally Posted by Rubeus Hagrid
I'm going to use a strong word here. I "hate" this country. It's grey, it's countryside has been submerged in bricks and concrete, ugly buildings.. Chavs, pensioners, superficial way of life.. The weather!! I disliked everything about this country passionately.

If I can't move to Canada, I want to move. Somewhere.. Canada after all is a country that is made up from immigration primarily from the British Isles. Many of my kind have moved before, and many will move after I'm dead.

I presume you once lived here. You must surely understand what I'm describing?
Sounds like you are depressed and If you were from Canada, you'd probably say the same about Canada. Life in Canada won't be easier for you, but the good thing is that you are only 21. Finish your GCSE's in the UK and then you'll have a future, so it's really up to you
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I do wish people who make disparaging remarks about pensioners would remember, that they will be pensioners one day, and that their parents will be pensioners well before that.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have!
When might that have been, then? Some time between December when you said you never leave your house and now?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:09 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Deal with your depression first.
Lol she's right, you aren't quite a refugee yet. The suggestions about getting trained in some occupation in England first are all good as well. Finding something you have an affinity for and wouldn't mind working at in the long term is the difficult bit. I think the more skilled the trade is, the greater the demand so the more time you invest in training the better your job prospects will be. Itinerant painters are a dime a dozen but good millwrights or good heavy-duty mechanics are in demand in factories or mines or refineries all over the world. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to use a strong word here. I "hate" this country. It's grey, it's countryside has been submerged in bricks and concrete, ugly buildings.. Chavs, pensioners, superficial way of life.. The weather!! I disliked everything about this country passionately.

If I can't move to Canada, I want to move. Somewhere.. Canada after all is a country that is made up from immigration primarily from the British Isles. Many of my kind have moved before, and many will move after I'm dead.

I presume you once lived here. You must surely understand what I'm describing?
I live in the UK, and I think your statements above sweeping generalisations. They might apply to where you live, but they sure as hell don't apply to where I am.

I'm sitting at my desk looking out over open countryside - funnily enough, it's green not grey and hasn't been 'submerged in bricks and concrete'.

If you live surrounded by chavs and concrete, then you must live in an urban area, so there's a very simple solution which is to move. And you don't have to spend a fortune on moving abroad, you can just move to a more rural area of the UK.

But I agree with the others that you need to deal with your depression first and foremost. You could get a visa for Canada very easily (IEC), but until you've dealt with your personal issues there's very little point.

Getting some further education such as a degree or an apprenticeship is a great idea, and will give you far more opportunities wherever you go, so if you've dealt with your mother issues mentioned in other threads and she'll now allow you to do something with your life, then go for it. Just don't look at is as a way to escape the UK, but maybe focus on bettering your prospects, and then you can see where in the world it takes you - it's just possible that it'll take you elsewhere in the UK where you'll be very happy.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 27th 2015 at 3:43 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone. I'm 21, desperate to move.

I live in Britain, I have no GCSE's.

I really, really want to move to Canada, so much so that I want to find an apprenticeship that I can do that will get me into Canada a few years down the line, and that I can do with no work or school experience.

Thanks very much for the interest and help.
Have you followed ANY of the advice given to you in your three previous threads?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking out of my office window, and it is very grey, it has been grey since October I think, and it's 3 degrees right now, and tonight we have snow flurries.

I am by no means in my first flush of youth, but regularly feel like a spring chicken, as I am surrounded by people who are well into their later years. I've never understood this 'Chav' word, but I suspect we have a fair few of whatever they are too.

You don't dump all the problems you have in one place, only to find Neverland in another, the troubles that you had in one country tend to follow you to another.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:46 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I am looking out of my office window, and it is very grey, it has been grey since October I think, and it's 3 degrees right now, and tonight we have snow flurries.

I am by no means in my first flush of youth, but regularly feel like a spring chicken, as I am surrounded by people who are well into their later years. I've never understood this 'Chav' word, but I suspect we have a fair few of whatever they are too.

You don't dump all the problems you have in one place, only to find Neverland in another, the troubles that you had in one country tend to follow you to another.
I hate the word...it's just a way of discriminating against lower social strata.

I've now read your previous posts...they make for interesting reading. Perhaps in four months you have made some headway regarding GCSE's? I have to admit that your use of English Language with the odd "mistake" thrown in does put me in mind of bridges and goats...

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 27th 2015 at 4:48 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:55 pm
Banned

Rubeus Hagrid is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, there's a lot of points to address, so I'll address them one at a time.

1) The word "chav" is certainly not a prejudiced word for the lower class. A lower class, by the way, that I would technically come under. It instead refers to superficial people with little intelligence, and very little regard for anything except things of a superficial nature. Britain is SOACKED in chavs.

2) I don't understan what you mean by "use of the English language"?

3) Im deriving from this thread a message that says: Do what you want and what makes you happy, then worry about moving. This is some good advice, however I would need to consult another forum about this topic because my last threads were closed when they went off-topic. I would, however, really, really like to get into farming - something that would get me closer to a rural way of life? Away from the urban areas?

4) It's almost as though the migrants on this forum somehow regret migrating? Explain please?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Lol she's right, you aren't quite a refugee yet. The suggestions about getting trained in some occupation in England first are all good as well. Finding something you have an affinity for and wouldn't mind working at in the long term is the difficult bit. I think the more skilled the trade is, the greater the demand so the more time you invest in training the better your job prospects will be. Itinerant painters are a dime a dozen but good millwrights or good heavy-duty mechanics are in demand in factories or mines or refineries all over the world. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
I was going to suggest mechanicking too. Good ones are hard to come by and are always in demand - wherever you are.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:11 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, there's a lot of points to address, so I'll address them one at a time.

1) The word "chav" is certainly not a prejudiced word for the lower class. A lower class, by the way, that I would technically come under. It instead refers to superficial people with little intelligence, and very little regard for anything except things of a superficial nature. Britain is SOACKED in chavs.

2) I don't understan what you mean by "use of the English language"?

3) Im deriving from this thread a message that says: Do what you want and what makes you happy, then worry about moving. This is some good advice, however I would need to consult another forum about this topic because my last threads were closed when they went off-topic. I would, however, really, really like to get into farming - something that would get me closer to a rural way of life? Away from the urban areas?

4) It's almost as though the migrants on this forum somehow regret migrating? Explain please?
Maybe because some of us realise, it's the same shit in a slightly shinier buckets that dulls rapidly over time - and we could have found that particular bucket elsewhere in the UK, without the cost and heartbreak of the emigration roller coaster. If you want to get into farming, then surely you should work to getting accepted into a Agricultural college of some description?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You will be happier if you don't judge so much, but think about what actually affects your life.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I would, however, really, really like to get into farming - something that would get me closer to a rural way of life? Away from the urban areas?
There are a number of journeyman certificates in agriculture and horticulture. Most are provincial only and not inter provincial Red Seal.

Descriptions of what this is all about is available online using Google.
Trade Programs | Industry Training Authority

Immigrant farm workers are not in as much demand these days and it does not pay well, often not much above min wage. To get into farming and have a chance of immigrating and getting something of a decent wage, a college diploma or degree are going to be your best bet.

If you like the idea of going farming, go farming, forget immigrating and if it leads to that down the road, good for you.

When farming, grey concrete building are fewer, lots of shit and green fields, few 'chavs' to be seen, there are however still lots of old people, they are usually the ones paying the wages.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:21 pm
Banned

Rubeus Hagrid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You will be happier if you don't judge so much, but think about what actually affects your life.
I often fear that there no distinction, but thanks.

I do want to get into farming, yes. I wonder if I could possibly be accepted into some kind of apprenticeship for that kind of work? But if it pays minimum wage, and I won't find anyone my own age.. That doesn't seem great does it?

This is what I mean! There's so much more opportunity abroad. England is going down the gutter quick.

Back to Canada... Someone asked me where I went to in Canada. I went to Alberta. What I found was that the buildings were much bigger, that there was much more diversity as far as people and different places were concerned. Just walking down the "sidewalks" inspired me. Seeing the beautiful natural geography that we simply don't have over here.. We only have terraced houses and superficial people, all of whom are mostly the same.

Last edited by Rubeus Hagrid; Apr 27th 2015 at 6:23 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I often fear that there no distinction, but thanks.

I do want to get into farming, yes. I wonder if I could possibly be accepted into some kind of apprenticeship for that kind of work? But if it pays minimum wage, and I won't find anyone my own age.. That doesn't seem great does it?

This is what I mean! There's so much more opportunity abroad. England is going down the gutter quick.

Back to Canada... Someone asked me where I went to in Canada. I went to Alberta. What I found was that the buildings were much bigger, that there was much more diversity as far as people and different places were concerned. Just walking down the "sidewalks" inspired me. Seeing the beautiful natural geography that we simply don't have over here.. We only have terraced houses and superficial people, all of whom are mostly the same.
That's right the UK has no farmland and from coast to coast is covered in terraced houses and oh my god the people...

Stereotype much? A criticism laid at Canada's door is that the people are superficial but of course that's not true, in much the same way that it isn't true for the UK. For someone who doesn't get out much and has no friends you seem to have a lot of bright shiny opinions- what are they based on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.