Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Applying for a drivers licence in saskatchewan (am I screwed)

Applying for a drivers licence in saskatchewan (am I screwed)

Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

stubby43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a drivers licence in saskatchewan (am I screwed)

I'm in sk on a 2 year working holiday visa and I've just started looking into applying for a drivers licence but I'm worried that I've already messed up by applying too late.

I've been in the country for 47 days and their requesting a drivers abstract and The document must be dated within 30 days of your arrival in Canada.

I'm also in the awkward position of having not driven in several years and I've never owned a car, I've always been registered on a parents insurance.

I wasn't entirely sure what a drivers abstract was but I was looking at the uk government website and found this link, will a print out of this be adequate? https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Have I basically ruined my chances of being able to drive here?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Applying for a drivers licence in saskatchewan (am I screwed)

Yes you are probably going to be doing some hard time for this....

Not a problem at all. The abstract is basically the old UK green counterpart to your license. I would print that out and go to your local service SK and they should just exchange it for a SK one.

BTW dont worry about not driving or owning a car previously - Canadians are as good at driving as we are at Ice Hockey

For insurance purposes I would get in touch with the insurance company you had been covered with in the Uk and ask them for a letter confirming that you have been insured and for how many years. Then you will need to find a company in SK that will accept the UK history. Johnsons in these parts but you will have to check. Dont tell them that you have not driven just tell them how many years you have been licensed and insured.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Jun 21st 2016 at 2:32 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby43
I'm in sk on a 2 year working holiday visa and I've just started looking into applying for a drivers licence but I'm worried that I've already messed up by applying too late.

I've been in the country for 47 days and their requesting a drivers abstract and The document must be dated within 30 days of your arrival in Canada.

I'm also in the awkward position of having not driven in several years and I've never owned a car, I've always been registered on a parents insurance.

I wasn't entirely sure what a drivers abstract was but I was looking at the uk government website and found this link, will a print out of this be adequate? https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Have I basically ruined my chances of being able to drive here?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.
When I exchanged my UK for a BC one they never even asked for the abstract. Your entitlements and the dates you got them are on the rear of your photocard and that is all they need.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

never provided an abstract i have an sk licence.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

The main (only?) thing the abstract provides that the photocard licence does not is the record of penalty points.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ah ok thank you so much everyone, makes me feel a lot better, not knowing what an abstract was sent me into a bit of a panic.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

an abstract in SK is 2 things the part 2 of your licence with your convictions if any and a record of your insurance ie your no claims record.

if you want to get a no claims discount from sgi you will need to produce this information which will come from your insurer. if no they start you as 0 no claims
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

dtjmiddleton is an unknown quantity at this point

Highjacking the thread slightly, so apologies however kind of relevant

My UK licence was 'reissued' when I returned to the UK previously in 2014. Therefore on the front of my card it says valid from XX-2014. To exchange for a BC licence you need to have a min of 2 years. I passed my test in 2007. What's the best way to prove this rather than the 'issue' date of 2014?

I still have my [now invalid] green papers somewhere if that would help?
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 6:43 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dtjmiddleton
Highjacking the thread slightly, so apologies however kind of relevant

My UK licence was 'reissued' when I returned to the UK previously in 2014. Therefore on the front of my card it says valid from XX-2014. To exchange for a BC licence you need to have a min of 2 years. I passed my test in 2007. What's the best way to prove this rather than the 'issue' date of 2014?

I still have my [now invalid] green papers somewhere if that would help?
The card issue date has nothing to do with it.

On the back of your photocard license it should show all the available vehicle license categories, and for each one you are qualified for, the date you were qualified (10.) and the date that qualification expires (11.):

Old Jun 22nd 2016, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

dtjmiddleton is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh, now I feel stupid. I've never even noticed that on the back! Thanks for confirming
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johntheScot
an abstract in SK is 2 things the part 2 of your licence with your convictions if any and a record of your insurance ie your no claims record.

if you want to get a no claims discount from sgi you will need to produce this information which will come from your insurer. if no they start you as 0 no claims
Ok cool, I had a small bump into another car 9 years ago and we had to claim that on the insurance, but I'm guessing they'll still want to see the information.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 6:51 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dtjmiddleton
Gosh, now I feel stupid. I've never even noticed that on the back! Thanks for confirming
No worries
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:27 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201

Not a problem at all. The abstract is basically the old UK green counterpart to your license. I would print that out and go to your local service SK and they should just exchange it for a SK one.

BTW dont worry about not driving or owning a car previously - Canadians are as good at driving as we are at Ice Hockey

For insurance purposes I would get in touch with the insurance company you had been covered with in the Uk and ask them for a letter confirming that you have been insured and for how many years. Then you will need to find a company in SK that will accept the UK history. Johnsons in these parts but you will have to check. Dont tell them that you have not driven just tell them how many years you have been licensed and insured.
Car insurance in SK is basically a Govt run system, you go to the SGI for the basic policy and to independents if you want any addons.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 12:46 pm
R08
Forum Regular

R08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alex2201

Hi you have 3 months to get your SK licence and unfortunately its not the green paper copy of your licence you need, its a copy of your licence from the DVLA to say you haven't been band basically. You can obtain this by ringing the DVLA in Swansea and they will either post it to you or fax it. It used to be £5 but i think its free now.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Cheers R08, so I have a friend in the city who's also a brit, he helped me get my license, i was a relatively simple process, I had to have a 2 forms of proof of identity and two forms of proof of address, I have a temporary license now and I'm just waiting for my full one to arrive.