Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada

Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:05 pm   #16
BE Enthusiast

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

I have family living in Saskatoon (4 households) and they have done so for many years now. They do and have lived “free from crime” lives up to the present. I have mentioned to them about the crime rate statistics and, while aware of them, have never experienced it themselves, consequently go about their daily lives unemcumbered with such thoughts. Much of the crime involves indigenous peoples.
plasticcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:14 pm   #17
Cos 
Just Joined

Cos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticcanuck View Post
I have family living in Saskatoon (4 households) and they have done so for many years now. They do and have lived “free from crime” lives up to the present. I have mentioned to them about the crime rate statistics and, while aware of them, have never experienced it themselves, consequently go about their daily lives unemcumbered with such thoughts. Much of the crime involves indigenous peoples.
Good to know!
If may I ask, which area does your family live?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:13 pm   #18
scilly Female
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Your children are still young.

If Saskatoon has Junior and Senior Kindergarten, the eldest one will not start for another year ............. entry into Junior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 4

Entry into Senior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 5.

Schools usually have before and after school care ................ provided by a private company on the school grounds. IF Kindergarten is all day, then a kindy student might be eligible, as long as there is room ......... you have to apply for it, and there will be costs.

You may on the other hand, have to find a private daycare that will offer before and after school care, as well as taking the child to school and picking up afterwards. That usually translates to finding someone who is running a small daycare in their home .............. and they may or may not be licensed. Note that not being licensed does not automatically translate into "poor", nor does being licensed automatically mean "good".

I don't know about Saskatoon, but most places across Canada have problems with daycare availability ............. it may not be as easy to find daycare as you may be used to, especially for the 1 year old (who presumably is still in diapers).

I also do not know what costs are like in Saskatoon ............... daycare is expensive here, as is everything!! I also know that people are paying up to or over $1000 in other provinces. Before and after care on the school premises is much cheaper

I certainly would not be choosing a daycare without being able to visit at least a couple of times and see how it is run, how many children a really there, what facilities they have, does the person in charge have help or is it one mum looking after 5 or 6 kids on her own, etc..

I don't see the rush unless you both have jobs that will start immediately you arrive.

As regards housing, do not buy before or as soon as you arrive. Find rental housing and take time to look around, decide which areas you like and the type of house you want to buy. It will cost you lots of money to buy in advance, and then sell soon after arrival because you don't like the house/area, etc.
scilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:17 pm   #19
Cos 
Just Joined

Cos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scilly View Post
Your children are still young.

If Saskatoon has Junior and Senior Kindergarten, the eldest one will not start for another year ............. entry into Junior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 4

Entry into Senior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 5.

Schools usually have before and after school care ................ provided by a private company on the school grounds. IF Kindergarten is all day, then a kindy student might be eligible, as long as there is room ......... you have to apply for it, and there will be costs.

You may on the other hand, have to find a private daycare that will offer before and after school care, as well as taking the child to school and picking up afterwards. That usually translates to finding someone who is running a small daycare in their home .............. and they may or may not be licensed. Note that not being licensed does not automatically translate into "poor", nor does being licensed automatically mean "good".

I don't know about Saskatoon, but most places across Canada have problems with daycare availability ............. it may not be as easy to find daycare as you may be used to, especially for the 1 year old (who presumably is still in diapers).

I also do not know what costs are like in Saskatoon ............... daycare is expensive here, as is everything!! I also know that people are paying up to or over $1000 in other provinces. Before and after care on the school premises is much cheaper

I certainly would not be choosing a daycare without being able to visit at least a couple of times and see how it is run, how many children a really there, what facilities they have, does the person in charge have help or is it one mum looking after 5 or 6 kids on her own, etc..

I don't see the rush unless you both have jobs that will start immediately you arrive.

As regards housing, do not buy before or as soon as you arrive. Find rental housing and take time to look around, decide which areas you like and the type of house you want to buy. It will cost you lots of money to buy in advance, and then sell soon after arrival because you don't like the house/area, etc.

Great advice!
Thanks!
It surprised me how expensive daycare is!! It is crazy.
We decided we will rent first and wait until summer to see if we can buy. And there will be more houses on the market I guess.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:59 pm   #20
Forum Regular

Sam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sorry it took a while ....Stonebridge is the area my daughter sguested....she's not really a city girl so she preferred the outer towns ...Warman she loved also Martinsville. .but as previously stated they're about 30mins out of the city and the main highway can be busy...as I said she lI've in Warman and it would take her about 20 -25 mins to get downtown for work ...good luck in your search
Sam1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th 2017, 8:55 pm   #21
Cos 
Just Joined

Thanks Sam!
I will consider Stonebridge as it is closer to the university.
Good luck for you too.

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada