Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone return to UK then came back??

anyone return to UK then came back??

Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice
Default Re: anyone return to UK then came back??

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Unless your hubby is prepared to work some job in retail, I cannot see him getting a job as a teacher here in Canada. I have a friend who is a teacher and left Calgary for BC and is working at a retail giant! What are your skills?
We won't be looking to get him into teaching at all this time around, but he is very good with computers and databases etc, so we were thinking maybe he could find work in an office or something to that effect.
I dunno, maybe it's a pipe dream.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 10:10 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
the only problem is, I really want to live in Canada, I can't see it working for me here and for the most part, I don't enjoy living here (I'm alone all day, I have no family here, I'm not working). Also, I don't want my husband to lose his PR status, and if he stays out of Canada for another year or so, he could.
It doesn't have to be Calgary to be honest. We are flexible. I just want to be in Canada. It could be Ontario or temp outside of Ontario for a couple years. Doesn't matter.
As you're married, I don't think he would lose his PR, as it does not lapse automatically.

What is it that you dislike about living in Oxfordshire? Obviously, without friends, family or work, it will be hard going. But could you find some kind of work you enjoy (if not necessarily career related) study something or volunteer?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shard
As you're married, I don't think he would lose his PR, as it does not lapse automatically.

What is it that you dislike about living in Oxfordshire? Obviously, without friends, family or work, it will be hard going. But could you find some kind of work you enjoy (if not necessarily career related) study something or volunteer?
Oxfordshire is lovely, but not forever lovely for me. I think we can all agree here that home is usually where the heart is, and for me, it's always been in Canada.

And, I thought that you still had a certain amount of time before he would lose his PR if he remained in the UK...I'm not sure how it works exactly but I thought I read you have to be IN canada for 2 out of 5 years or something like that.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Oxfordshire is lovely, but not forever lovely for me. I think we can all agree here that home is usually where the heart is, and for me, it's always been in Canada.

And, I thought that you still had a certain amount of time before he would lose his PR if he remained in the UK...I'm not sure how it works exactly but I thought I read you have to be IN canada for 2 out of 5 years or something like that.
I don't have the link. Siouxie or Chrismasoompa are the experts...if they are around.

Do you think hubby would agree to a second attempt? If you're young enough and child free (20s) I suppose you could take the risk.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't have the link. Siouxie or Chrismasoompa are the experts...if they are around.

Do you think hubby would agree to a second attempt? If you're young enough and child free (20s) I suppose you could take the risk.
Yes, he said he would (although wearily) and to be fair, I am also weary of this as I kinda just wanna get on with my life now. It's been overall 7 years of being all over the place and now I just want a steady job, a dog, and a place I can call home.
We aren't in our twenties, but you know what, you live once. Take the plunge, at the end of the day, it's better than doing nothing.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:09 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

the only problem is, I really want to live in Canada, I can't see it working for me here and for the most part, I don't enjoy living here (I'm alone all day, I have no family here, I'm not working). Also, I don't want my husband to lose his PR status, and if he stays out of Canada for another year or so, he could.
It doesn't have to be Calgary to be honest. We are flexible. I just want to be in Canada. It could be Ontario or temp outside of Ontario for a couple years. Doesn't matter.
forgive me if I've missed something but if you are a Canadian citizen then he doesn't have to maintain his PR status if he is accompanying you out of the country.

time outside the country with you is fine, it just won't count towards him acquiring citizenship
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:56 pm
Yo

Yes, he said he would (although wearily) and to be fair, I am also weary of this as I kinda just wanna get on with my life now. It's been overall 7 years of being all over the place and now I just want a steady job, a dog, and a place I can call home.
We aren't in our twenties, but you know what, you live once. Take the plunge, at the end of the day, it's better than doing nothing.
Good that he's on side at least. Hopefully one of you can line something up (or get a feel for lining something up) in Alberta and then take the plunge. Avoid the temptation of Vancouver. You do only live once, I agree with that.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You've misunderstood, as the spouse of a Canadian citizen there's no such requirement on him, as long as he's accompanying you abroad. So you can stay out of Canada indefinitely and he'll still be a PR. Residency Obligations-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:35 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

He won't lose PR status as long as you are married. And even if such a law existed, you could sponsor him in again.

There is a shortage of teachers in Calgary but the Premier is making loud noises that salaries will be cut.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didnotbother
I'm actually British, although I was born in the good old US when my mum and dad were on leave from the US air force, it didn't automatically make me an American citizen by default as rumour might otherwse suggest.
You are definitely a US citizen. Your father was a US citizen and you were born in the US, so on two counts you qualify as a US citizen. (Although from your father it depends on when you were born and how long you were in the US). US v. Wong Kim Ark established that nearly everyone born in the US is a US citizen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...._Wong_Kim_Ark

And since then various Acts of Congress have broadened it further. Today the only people born in the US who are not US citizens are people born on unincorporated territories, the main one being American Samoa.

You could right now with your birth certificate apply for a US passport.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You've misunderstood, as the spouse of a Canadian citizen there's no such requirement on him, as long as he's accompanying you abroad. So you can stay out of Canada indefinitely and he'll still be a PR. Residency Obligations-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
oooh I see, thank you for clearing that up for me...I was really unsure of what would happen.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
He won't lose PR status as long as you are married. And even if such a law existed, you could sponsor him in again.

There is a shortage of teachers in Calgary but the Premier is making loud noises that salaries will be cut.
ok - thanks. Is there a shortage of teachers in Calgary? I never heard about that. We kinda just decided that it would be an impossible feat to attempt a career in teaching. I was hoping maybe he could find a job doing office stuff because he is seriously the most meticulously organised person I have ever met. Not to mention that, but any admin stuff to him is like a second job to what he does now so it wouldn't be an issue. He just needs to find the right person/people who will actually give him a job. That was the problem originally, my network is small and I don't know enough people back in Canada who could maybe have helped my hubby out in terms of pointing him towards people who were hiring etc. We did make every effort we could, but alas, it failed.