Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone return to UK then came back??

anyone return to UK then came back??

Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone return to UK then came back??

Originally Posted by Red1974
How old is he ?

He is now 11 soon to be 12, came when he had just turned 7. Dont get me wrong there were many many bumps in the road to get to the point we are now with him but he finds school here alot easier, and the kids are not as harsh as in the UK. Being here has taught me how hard faced the kids are in the UK, environment and circumstances i think is the reason for this.[/QUOTE]

As you said, everyone's situation is different. Definitely a good reason to return if the schooling in Britain was not going well. We haven't had schooling issues (we are in England) but you do hear so many horror stories in the UK media. Pleased to hear you are on the right track again.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

snowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud of

we arrived 2 1/2 years ago..we have been lucky to have many visitors from "home". that took away a lot of the homesickness, which for us has never been strong enough to even contemplate returning.

We recently had my parents over for Christmas, and they agreed that we "fit" here. No, Canada is not perfect,I can list many things that bug me daily, but it was the same in the UK.

I think once you start ping-pong thoughts it only gets worse..We arrived with the intention to stay so as they say here..we "sucked it up" and got on with settling.I would like to go back for a holiday, just so I can see how little has changed, and how much we have changed...kind of reinforce the fact we made the right choice.

I always thought we would return yearly, but not the case.

My final thought on this is its all about your attitude at the start. I was not going to give up, even when I hated it. That helped us so much, we would not let ourselves give up too soon. Now Canada feels like home, I am proud to be here.Even though I miss the UK at Christmas time (truly no Christmas like a British one !) I am determined to carry on...eventually I will even enjoy Christmas here!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red1974
We originally came in April 2010 & returned to the UK June 2011 thinking we were too homesick for our families. After 10 months my husband, son & I all wished we had never left. We then got in touch with friends & an old employer & returned 2012. We now have PR and intend to only return for holidays.

we returned thinking things would be different but the thing was, nothing changed, life still continued without us & the area we come from life styles were still shit & work bad, but more importantly we had changed as a family & what we expected out of life. Canada did that & we longed for a stress free, relaxed environment again. Many thousands of £s & $s spent both times but hey its only money, long term happiness is far more important.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Delboy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, I am a newby to the Expat Forum, I hope I am posting in the right place.

Any how I am in need of a shoulder rub or a kick up the arse!

Not sure where to begin here, but here is the jist of things.

I have been in Canada actually Vernon BC for 12 years, absolutely beautiful and I have had 4 kids since being here technically all is good, I have PR and qualify for Citizenship but I have got to the point where I have decided I hate it here and want to go back home but my wife is Canadian and of course does not want to live in the UK.

I miss everything and have got to the point where everything Canadian is sickening me! I am so claustrophobic; I look out my window on an evening down the Valley and over the town and literally feel dizzy when I think there is nothing past it other than miles and miles of trees!

I miss everything from home and am having nightmares/dreams of staying in Canada

Logistically I cannot go home and realistically know it is not really the right answer, I guess I am writing in a hope some people may set me straight, mite cheer me up a bit.

Any how I am sitting at a staging area somewhere in the bush near Fort Mac counting down the days I can fly back to the Okanagan, I have to get on with work but am looking forward to a bit of verbal abuse.

Thanks guys
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Delboy07
Hi folks, I am a newby to the Expat Forum, I hope I am posting in the right place.

Any how I am in need of a shoulder rub or a kick up the arse!

Not sure where to begin here, but here is the jist of things.

I have been in Canada actually Vernon BC for 12 years, absolutely beautiful and I have had 4 kids since being here technically all is good, I have PR and qualify for Citizenship but I have got to the point where I have decided I hate it here and want to go back home but my wife is Canadian and of course does not want to live in the UK.

I miss everything and have got to the point where everything Canadian is sickening me! I am so claustrophobic; I look out my window on an evening down the Valley and over the town and literally feel dizzy when I think there is nothing past it other than miles and miles of trees!

I miss everything from home and am having nightmares/dreams of staying in Canada

Logistically I cannot go home and realistically know it is not really the right answer, I guess I am writing in a hope some people may set me straight, mite cheer me up a bit.

Any how I am sitting at a staging area somewhere in the bush near Fort Mac counting down the days I can fly back to the Okanagan, I have to get on with work but am looking forward to a bit of verbal abuse.

Thanks guys
Welcome to BE. If your family is committed to Canada, you could perhaps deal with your own frustrations by making regular/more regular visits to Britain. Recharge your batteries so to speak. Another possible (compromise) solution is consider another part of Canada. Perhaps Ontario would suit you better thang Alta/BC. That's my two cents. It's a good topic, you should re-post it as a new thread.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:38 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Welcome to BE. If your family is committed to Canada, you could perhaps deal with your own frustrations by making regular/more regular visits to Britain. Recharge your batteries so to speak. Another possible (compromise) solution is consider another part of Canada. Perhaps Ontario would suit you better thang Alta/BC. That's my two cents. It's a good topic, you should re-post it as a new thread.
Yeah, start your own thread. I'm sure there'll be lots of opinions on this. Sorry you feel that way though. All the views in the world don't make up for whatever it is you might be missing.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with this start a new topic. No one should abuse you though because a lot of us have been through what you are going through! My discontent started after 10 years and missing family. Yes perhaps a few trips back on your own would help.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My experience was the same. I moved back to the UK after living in Canada for 7 years. I lasted 2 years in the UK. I also got fed up with the chavs. They'd be hanging out in the local playground when I took my 2 young daughters there. They were foul-mouthed and intent on vandalizing the place because there was nothing better to do. And it was the same wherever I went in the UK. Playgrounds and parks full of chavs, litter, graffiti, broken glass, dog crap, etc. I also got fed up with the general level of aggression. It was rare to go out at night without seeing some argy-bargy. You only had to accidentally look at someone the wrong way in a pub/club and you could be in for trouble. The binge drinking culture was amazing. Too many people legless and/or throwing up. I mean you definitely see some of that everywhere but it just seemed to be particularly rife in the UK. There were a list of other reasons for me leaving the UK. There are lots that I miss about it. Mostly friends/family, football, fish & chips, certain beers & pubs, and easy access to the rest of Europe. I enjoy visiting but I don't know if I will ever go back there to live - at least not while I still have kids at home.
Thats exactly how I find the UK,yet when I say this I am told on this forum that I am being unfair,and get told its because I used to live in Glasgow.
Never been a footy fan so I don't miss that,I prefer a steak to a chippy,and rarely drink these days so don't miss the pubs either,on the odd time that I do go out to a pub in Canada I actually find it to be a much better atmosphere than back in the UK,deffinately much safer,and cleaner!
Old Jan 11th 2015, 7:41 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by scootb
Thats exactly how I find the UK,yet when I say this I am told on this forum that I am being unfair,and get told its because I used to live in Glasgow.
Never been a footy fan so I don't miss that,I prefer a steak to a chippy,and rarely drink these days so don't miss the pubs either,on the odd time that I do go out to a pub in Canada I actually find it to be a much better atmosphere than back in the UK,deffinately much safer,and cleaner!
Don't worry, it's not personal. If I recall, there was a thread a couple of years back where MarylandNed had to vociferously defend his views too. I think what gets some people's back's up is when the whole of the UK is tarred with a very negative brush. Some parts of Britain are a very green, clean, orderly and vibrant indeed.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I know bud,I have lived in some nice areas of the UK.
When you are Scottish though everyone thinks Glasgow.
I grew up in the country,moved to Glasgow in 1980 and HATED it,I had been dragged away from green fields,rivers,sand cliffs,and country walks to live in the concrete mess,my tree climbing as a kid turned into climbing scaffolding and abandoned crawler cranes along the filthy river Clyde.
I was so glad when in 1988 we moved back to the countryside and remained there until 1997 when I lost my mother,my dad decided to move to Paisley(another crap hole) to be closer to his remaining family,I moved with him due to depression(it was a seriously BAD time in my life).
After meeting the right girl and starting our own family I wanted my kids raised in the countryside,so we moved until we decided to come to Canada which honestly has been the best move for us so far.
No more chest infections due to the dampness etc..,I benefitted from that immediately,that alone has vastly improved my health,and how I feel these days.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 8:05 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by scootb
n my life).
After meeting the right girl and starting our own family I wanted my kids raised in the countryside,so we moved until we decided to come to Canada which honestly has been the best move for us so far.
No more chest infections due to the dampness etc..,I benefitted from that immediately,that alone has vastly improved my health,and how I feel these days.
Canada is great. Glad to hear things are on the up for you and your family. I do think the UK binge drinking culture (and that is nationwide!) is something of a concern for any of us with kids. Although not necessarily when WE were kids
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Hi there,
replying on behalf of the hubby. I am Canadian, Hubby is British. We lived in the UK together for about 5 years until I convinced him that Canada also could have potential for us as a place to grow old together. We moved out to Canada in Sept 2012, and we thought we could make it work, but sadly, as my hubby is a teacher, he couldn't find any work at all whatsoever. I did everything I could to help him, but at the end of the day, I was not in a job that could pay for us both longterm, so we decided to return to the UK.
We have been back now since March 2013 and it has been exceptionally difficult for me.

We agreed we would move back to London whilst we were still in Canada, however upon our return, we were shocked to learn (after losing a lot of money in Canada) that we could no longer afford to live comfortably in London. So, we decided to move to a town in Oxfordshire. In June, SO got a job again, so all was good there, and 10 months later, I have yet to find work of any kind. I have looked into work, signed up with agencies, but lack enthusiasm to really commit to living here as it has so far, been very trying.
We are thinking (god help us) in trying again in Canada maybe and the end of this summer. We were thinking that instead of Ontario, we would maybe try somewhere like Calgary where there is apparently more jobs. I think in the last two years, I have never felt so out of place, so unfulfilled and so miserable.

So yeah, that's our story at the moment. Hard Times.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:40 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by teacher1000
Hi there,
replying on behalf of the hubby. I am Canadian, Hubby is British. We lived in the UK together for about 5 years until I convinced him that Canada also could have potential for us as a place to grow old together. We moved out to Canada in Sept 2012, and we thought we could make it work, but sadly, as my hubby is a teacher, he couldn't find any work at all whatsoever. I did everything I could to help him, but at the end of the day, I was not in a job that could pay for us both longterm, so we decided to return to the UK.
We have been back now since March 2013 and it has been exceptionally difficult for me.

We agreed we would move back to London whilst we were still in Canada, however upon our return, we were shocked to learn (after losing a lot of money in Canada) that we could no longer afford to live comfortably in London. So, we decided to move to a town in Oxfordshire. In June, SO got a job again, so all was good there, and 10 months later, I have yet to find work of any kind. I have looked into work, signed up with agencies, but lack enthusiasm to really commit to living here as it has so far, been very trying.
We are thinking (god help us) in trying again in Canada maybe and the end of this summer. We were thinking that instead of Ontario, we would maybe try somewhere like Calgary where there is apparently more jobs. I think in the last two years, I have never felt so out of place, so unfulfilled and so miserable.

So yeah, that's our story at the moment. Hard Times.
Sorry to hear that. If hubby is employed in Oxford, that may be more stable than trying your luck in Calgary. Especially as the oil industry is now in downturn.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your hubby is prepared to work some job in retail, I cannot see him getting a job as a teacher here in Canada. I have a friend who is a teacher and left Calgary for BC and is working at a retail giant! What are your skills?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Sorry to hear that. If hubby is employed in Oxford, that may be more stable than trying your luck in Calgary. Especially as the oil industry is now in downturn.
the only problem is, I really want to live in Canada, I can't see it working for me here and for the most part, I don't enjoy living here (I'm alone all day, I have no family here, I'm not working). Also, I don't want my husband to lose his PR status, and if he stays out of Canada for another year or so, he could.
It doesn't have to be Calgary to be honest. We are flexible. I just want to be in Canada. It could be Ontario or temp outside of Ontario for a couple years. Doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.