Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone return to UK then came back??

anyone return to UK then came back??

Old Dec 4th 2014, 4:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone return to UK then came back??

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My experience was the same. I moved back to the UK after living in Canada for 7 years. I lasted 2 years in the UK. I also got fed up with the chavs. They'd be hanging out in the local playground when I took my 2 young daughters there. They were foul-mouthed and intent on vandalizing the place because there was nothing better to do. And it was the same wherever I went in the UK. Playgrounds and parks full of chavs, litter, graffiti, broken glass, dog crap, etc. I also got fed up with the general level of aggression. It was rare to go out at night without seeing some argy-bargy. You only had to accidentally look at someone the wrong way in a pub/club and you could be in for trouble. The binge drinking culture was amazing. Too many people legless and/or throwing up. I mean you definitely see some of that everywhere but it just seemed to be particularly rife in the UK. There were a list of other reasons for me leaving the UK. There are lots that I miss about it. Mostly friends/family, football, fish & chips, certain beers & pubs, and easy access to the rest of Europe. I enjoy visiting but I don't know if I will ever go back there to live - at least not while I still have kids at home.
Brilliant.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

didnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to behold

Christmasoompah.

Interesting, I wondered if you were monitoring. That being the case the other post is still there, maybe you should delete that too to show your not condescending.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didnotbother
Christmasoompah.

Interesting, I wondered if you were monitoring. That being the case the other post is still there, maybe you should delete that too to show your not condescending.
I don't know which post you're referring to or what you mean by 'your [sic, you're?] not condescending [autocorrect for a different word maybe?]?

But if you feel a post breaks site rules, feel free to report it and we'll take any action we feel necessary.

Do also note that responses like the ones I've deleted won't be allowed, as per Site Rule 1. Please don't post it for a third time!

Thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

didnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are you married to Deltadeliquent?
This is the post tha I'm refering to.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didnotbother
This is the post tha I'm refering to.
And I've replied to your PM/reported post explaining what it meant - absolutely not what you thought it did!

Hope that's an end to it now and you understand the post was not racist in any way.

Now, let's get this thread back on topic eh?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 7:31 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's rare that I find you amusing. But very good indeed.
+1
Old Dec 6th 2014, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

maple moments. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, really enjoyed reading all the threads here. Just wondered, anyone in the situation where they came back for their kids.... I have young adult kids who came to Canada with us, enjoyed it, but went to Univ. back in the UK and decided to stay on. I stayed in Canada as had a good job, well settled, like lots of things there. The kids visited me in Canada and I saw them in the UK.
I came back 4 months ago to UK for the sake of the kids. But realise they have their own independent lives (in early 20s) so I'm thinking of returning to Canada in 2015.....

Just wondered anyone with a similar thing? Kids in UK and Grandkids...!! and you're in Canada. I don't have grandkids yet... but that would be another reason to be closer, thus UK bound.
Ultimately I guess we can't 'chase our kids around' - but some people are lucky to live nearby theirs.

Cheers,
mm
Old Dec 7th 2014, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
We did 7 years in Vancouver went back to London then moved to Dublin just as the economy went down the pan. Came back to Vancouver about 2.5 years ago and have done very well. Unfortunately my dislike for Vancouver's inhabitants is growing daily.
Hiya,

Just wondered what it was, you disliked in Vancouver?
I found the city pleasant to move around, though I didn't live in that area. Good food, variety of cultures etc. Though some things are badly overpriced, property prices are nuts, but yeah London UK or other places same I guess.

Did have two bonkers experiences with Yellow Cab taxi drivers..! Had to stop the car to get out on one occasion. Would avoid Yellow Cabs, or maybe taxis in general. Bus drivers really friendly and Sky train good transport to airport etc.

Lots of reasons to smile...
mm
Old Dec 7th 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My experience was the same. I moved back to the UK after living in Canada for 7 years. I lasted 2 years in the UK. I also got fed up with the chavs. They'd be hanging out in the local playground when I took my 2 young daughters there. They were foul-mouthed and intent on vandalizing the place because there was nothing better to do. And it was the same wherever I went in the UK. Playgrounds and parks full of chavs, litter, graffiti, broken glass, dog crap, etc. I also got fed up with the general level of aggression. It was rare to go out at night without seeing some argy-bargy. You only had to accidentally look at someone the wrong way in a pub/club and you could be in for trouble. The binge drinking culture was amazing. Too many people legless and/or throwing up. I mean you definitely see some of that everywhere but it just seemed to be particularly rife in the UK. There were a list of other reasons for me leaving the UK. There are lots that I miss about it. Mostly friends/family, football, fish & chips, certain beers & pubs, and easy access to the rest of Europe. I enjoy visiting but I don't know if I will ever go back there to live - at least not while I still have kids at home.
Hiya,
Some fair points, but I think it all depends where you live. I spent time in Turnbridge Wells and Canterbury, also worked over in Bath but didn't come across social trouble. But way too much traffic....the UK is hopelessly stuffed with congestion, though Toronto etc. has some of this too, not as widespread.

I guess your kids are still young, so Schools are a factor. My kids are young adults now, and decided to live in the UK. I came back for spell to spend time with them but will be back in Canada in 2015.

Cheers
mm
Old Dec 7th 2014, 8:41 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maple moments.
Hiya,

Did have two bonkers experiences with Yellow Cab taxi drivers..! Had to stop the car to get out on one occasion. Would avoid Yellow Cabs, or maybe taxis in general. Bus drivers really friendly and Sky train good transport to airport etc.

Lots of reasons to smile...
mm
Why did you have to get out of the cab?
Old Dec 7th 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Ah, the guy was cursing that it was a 'short journey' he made no money, it wasn't worth taking me.... quite a weird fellow. The trip was several miles in the city, pretty standard. Anyway I asked him to stop immediately, got my clobber out the back and trundled off. Told the cab company, said they'd look into it... but didn't get back to me. Just one of life's little hiccups you come across with such things. I can't wipe them all off, but had a couple of yellow cab trips like that in Vancouver.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 9:00 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the guy was cursing that it was a 'short journey' he made no money, it wasn't worth taking me.... quite a weird fellow. The trip was several miles in the city, pretty standard. Anyway I asked him to stop immediately, got my clobber out the back and trundled off. Told the cab company, said they'd look into it... but didn't get back to me. Just one of life's little hiccups you come across with such things. I can't wipe them all off, but had a couple of yellow cab trips like that in Vancouver.
Good for you. No need to be guilt tripped when you are the passenger.

Are you finding problems in Britain now that you are back or is it more a case if being homesick for the life you created in Canada.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

I planned only to come back to the UK for a spell, but knew I needed more than a 2 week trip, so I chose to take a longer time period. Family stuff to sort out. Being in the UK is ok, but overall I prefer Canadian life. Everyone's situation is different I guess. Though it's amazing the amount of people you hear about who've gone back and fourth....ping ponging over the pond. Must be expensive.

Cheers
mm
Old Dec 7th 2014, 9:38 am
Yo

I planned only to come back to the UK for a spell, but knew I needed more than a 2 week trip, so I chose to take a longer time period. Family stuff to sort out. Being in the UK is ok, but overall I prefer Canadian life. Everyone's situation is different I guess. Though it's amazing the amount of people you hear about who've gone back and fourth....ping ponging over the pond. Must be expensive.

Cheers
mm
Ahem, yes...expensive. Much better to be sure about where you want to live.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hiya, really enjoyed reading all the threads here. Just wondered, anyone in the situation where they came back for their kids.... I have young adult kids who came to Canada with us, enjoyed it, but went to Univ. back in the UK and decided to stay on. I stayed in Canada as had a good job, well settled, like lots of things there. The kids visited me in Canada and I saw them in the UK.
I came back 4 months ago to UK for the sake of the kids. But realise they have their own independent lives (in early 20s) so I'm thinking of returning to Canada in 2015.....

Just wondered anyone with a similar thing? Kids in UK and Grandkids...!! and you're in Canada. I don't have grandkids yet... but that would be another reason to be closer, thus UK bound.
Ultimately I guess we can't 'chase our kids around' - but some people are lucky to live nearby theirs.

Cheers,
mm
Im not sure if this is relevant but I'l post.
My parents immigrated back in 1996 but ended up coming back to the UK right after. One of the issues was the fact was that I was finishing up college and wanted to go to University. My sister was in University and my other sisters were in their early twenties and leading their own lives.
Had we been much younger the immigration would have worked.
Im much older now and I immigrated to pretty much what you wrote, im leading my own independent life. I decided to immigrate to Canada on my own terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.