Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone here in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Anyone here in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone here in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Originally Posted by baudelaire

It will be either MN or SK as one of the main reasons for the move is so we can afford to get a large hobby farm, and also i love the prairies.

Saskatoon is out as that's where he lived before and doesn't want to go back, so from what i can tell, our options for a city base while we get established are pretty much Regina or Winnipeg?

I've tried googling it and it seems the general opinion is that they're both as bad as each other (!) but i'd really appreciate some uk expat views on the cities please and/or suggestions for other larger towns we could look into :-)
Employment availability is crucial, but so is access to affordable acreage housing as i will hopefully be shipping my horses over.
Manitoba is MB. MN is the American State of Minnesota

Winnipeg is four times the size of Regina - much more going on, much more options, much larger city, with all the good and bad that that means, such as possibly having to go further afield to find affordable land.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 7:47 am
Just Joined

baudelaire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Manitoba is MB. MN is the American State of Minnesota

Winnipeg is four times the size of Regina - much more going on, much more options, much larger city, with all the good and bad that that means, such as possibly having to go further afield to find affordable land.
d'oh! B and N are next to each other on keyboard - i hit the wrong one. def not going to minnesota
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Im a little biased as I live in Winnipeg, but do a lot of business in Sk and Regina, travelling and staying there at least one week every month. I am always glad to get back to Winnipeg, it is a much bigger more vibrant city that is growing at a huge rate. I am happy to sing its praises time and again on this site when it gets knocked.

Whilst I don't have horses of my own, but I have several friends that do and they board their horses at sage hill stables,over winter, (google it I cannot get the link to work ), which is a great facility with a huge arena.

There are many other facilities in which to board or exercise if you don't have your own, as you cannot really leave your horses out over winter, its far too cold.

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by dormy; Sep 19th 2017 at 6:33 pm. Reason: link broken
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Valeria100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know anything about the labour market in SK, but I can tell you that there are many opportunities in Winnipeg. If you want to teach, there are four universities and two technical colleges. If you want to do environmental design, the city is growing, so there's a lot of development going on. There's demand for social workers, given the diversity in social backgrounds and life paths of many Winnipeggers.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t discount Moose Jaw in your investigation of places to live in SK. You could quite easily live equi-distant between Moose Jaw and Regina with easy access via the Trans Canada Highway (highway 1). I’ve spent most of the summer out in Craik (I live in AB though) and have travelled to Moose Jaw, Regina and Saskatoon during that time. I’ve found SK relatively easy to get around due to the low population. Jobs seem slightly easier to get there than AB, depending on your field. I haven’t experienced a SK winter, but I may do one year as my husband is working for one of the RM’s there.
Best of luck with the move
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice! :-)
Old Sep 21st 2017, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

firsttims is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Regina, people put the city down and say it's boring but if you're establishing a family it's a great place to live.

Most of the work in the city is government based or big business whereas Saskatoon has a lot of small companies and startups (it has an active tech startup scene).

Getting around the city is easy, you can cross the city in 30 minutes, the most expensive area to live is probably habour landing but there are older neighborhoods that are nice and cheaper.

In the summer they have the farmers market almost every week, theres always events and festivals on, in winter that social side slows down a lot just because of the extreme cold being outside can be dangerous (so dress warm, in winter I wear ski pants every day but thats because I get the bus).

Theres two cinemas in town and their building a third, we don't have a huge music scene but it exists, we also have an improv comedy scene thats doing pretty well.

And there are a lot of restuarants.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

anniepony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, We moved to Prince Albert, SK nearly 6 years ago. Bought an acreage about 20 minutes out from the city and love it. We have a couple of horses, chickens, goats etc. Winter was a bit of a shock with keeping the horses and yes you do get a little restricted on riding but you still can but we have a large indoor arena close by you can always haul to. Its taken us a while to get organized and every year we find something else that works better. Ours have free access to the barn and heated water, big bales of hay. Reason we chose this area was land was a lot cheaper and plenty of jobs around. Big minus temps don't feel quite as bad with sun shinning as long as there is very little wind (can't believe I can say that now!!)
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks both, some great tips! :-)