Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown WOW air to Canada

Anyone flown WOW air to Canada

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown WOW air to Canada

Originally Posted by Collie
Flew Wow last month and was most impressed - seats were comfy, the connection in Iceland worked well (we flew DUB-YYZ), cabin staff were great and the food we bought was fine. We'll happily use them again.
Is that the airline that has eliminated co pilots to cuts costs? Airlines like this use the Kerplunk game as a model for thier business practice.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

sunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond repute

I flew with them earlier this summer but only YYZ-KEF, not all the way back to the UK. I stopped over in Reykjavik for 3 nights then flew with Easyjet to Manchester. The total cost (including the airport transfer bus and three nights in a hostel) was cheaper than a direct Air Transat flight! There was of course extra expenses while on the stopover but for me its worth every single penny - I lived in Iceland for a few months, got married there and will take every chance I can get to go back.

The prices are good, but you have to factor in the costs of adding in hold luggage which was $60 for my one way flight - I was more than happy to pay this seeing as the base cost was only $208! I also paid $60 for the extra legroom, which was well worth it. Normally in economy my knees will touch the seat in front but on this flight I was able to stretch out and actually get some sleep. Didn't try the food as I took my own on board.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 2:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinedust
I flew with them earlier this summer...The total cost (including the airport transfer bus and three nights in a hostel) was cheaper than a direct Air Transat flight! ....
Good to hear.

Hope the stress on the PR application has reduced.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinedust
I flew with them earlier this summer but only YYZ-KEF, not all the way back to the UK. I stopped over in Reykjavik for 3 nights then flew with Easyjet to Manchester. The total cost (including the airport transfer bus and three nights in a hostel) was cheaper than a direct Air Transat flight! There was of course extra expenses while on the stopover but for me its worth every single penny - I lived in Iceland for a few months, got married there and will take every chance I can get to go back.

The prices are good, but you have to factor in the costs of adding in hold luggage which was $60 for my one way flight - I was more than happy to pay this seeing as the base cost was only $208! I also paid $60 for the extra legroom, which was well worth it. Normally in economy my knees will touch the seat in front but on this flight I was able to stretch out and actually get some sleep. Didn't try the food as I took my own on board.
being the 'always looking for a bargain' person, I checked to see how I could come up with the lowest cost YYZ-KEF-MAN return from today to end of November using WOW & easyjet comparisons to other airlines

Just me travelling wih a carry on, for the reason easyjet charge for baggage

The results

1) WOW, YYZ-KEF-YYZ in the first week November through to third week November $129 each way = $258 Cdn

easyjet in the same dates, outbound KEF-MAN 50 euro, return leg MAN-KEF 60 euro = 110 euro x the FX = ~$160Cdn

Total cost $418 Cdn

Risk factor: connections, long wait times, agro, spending on refreshments or possibly a layover

2) Going with WOW YYZ -LGW-YYZ in November, the lowest fare $380. Then its a either the tube to bus, or a 2.5 hrs each way train to Manchester return to LGW (excluding any layovers or hotel), the added cost was 120 GBP X FX =~$200 Cdn.

in transit, long wait time in between, spending on refreshments etc, the stress & agro.

Total cost $580 Cdn

3) Transat deal for the same dates going YYZ-MAN-YYZ direct is $632 Cdn

its really a no brainer, why spend up to 18 hours travelling (one way) when it can be done in approx 7 hours on a direct flight

Last edited by not2old; Aug 25th 2016 at 1:35 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

sunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
being the 'always looking for a bargain' person, I checked to see how I could come up with the lowest cost YYZ-KEF-MAN return from today to end of November using WOW & easyjet comparisons to other airlines

The results

1) WOW, YYZ-KEF-YYZ in the first week November through to third week November $129 each way = $258 Cdn

easyjet in the same dates, outbound KEF-MAN 50 euro, return leg MAN-KEF 60 euro = 110 euro x the FX = ~$160Cdn

Total cost $418 Cdn

Risk factor: connections, long wait times, agro, spending on refreshments or possibly a layover

2) Going with WOW YYZ -LGW-YYZ in November, the lowest fare $380. Then its a either the tube to bus, or a 2.5 hrs each way train to Manchester return to LGW (excluding any layovers or hotel), the added cost was 120 GBP X FX =~$200 Cdn.

in transit, long wait time in between, spending on refreshments etc, the stress & agro.

Total cost $580 Cdn

its really a no brainer, why spend up to 18 hours travelling (one way) when it can be done in approx 7 hours on a direct flight

Oh I agree, if I hadn't done the three day layover in Iceland and was connecting on the same day there is no way I'd have combined WOW and Easyjet flights. Too many things to go wrong!

This was just a one way trip as my flight back to YYZ was on the outward leg of a return ticket with Air Transat. I still only have visitor status here so need to have the return flight booked so they'll let me back in (never mind that the return leg of the journey was cancelled soon after I got home and won't be used!) The whole trip (YYZ-KEF-MAN-YYZ-MAN) cost me $1300, adjusted down to $950 with the cancellation of the return to Manchester, and the cheapest direct flights would have been $1800. Quite the saving, even when you consider the $250 I spent on airport transfers and three nights accommodation in Reykjavik.

As I said in my post I'll take every opportunity I can to have the stopover in Reykjavík, mostly so
I can eat my way round the city and restock my knitting supplies, and was using my post to illustrate how it can be done while saving some money.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

@post #20

agree, if its something such as a stopover for visiting or shopping, hostel/motel, food - then the direct flight on transat could work out better as long as the budget works also

Any of the above added costs can be more than a direct flight

Any layover or stopover, changes in schedule, delays, having to get an extra, bus, train whatever only adds to the time to destination, plus the wear & tear on your mind & body.

For me a 7 hour direct, even if its $100 -$200 more (without the extra hidden costs from the layover/stopover in Iceland) is the way to go
Old Aug 26th 2016, 12:39 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The results

Total cost $418 Cdn

Total cost $580 Cdn

I've just booked BA YYZ/LHR first week of November coming back the next week for $694. Heathrow is much more convenient for me too. To my mind the difference is worth paying
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by bats
I've just booked BA YYZ/LHR first week of November coming back the next week for $694. Heathrow is much more convenient for me too. To my mind the difference is worth paying
that is a really good price if Heathrow works.

I just did a recheck on the WOW vs Transat for my November dates

WOW came in at $512.39 return YYZ-KEF-LGW & back. Makes for a very long day, as well as I still need to get from LGW to Manchester & back to LGW

Transat (dropped their prices) is now $583.68 YYZ-MAN-YYZ direct flight

Last edited by not2old; Aug 26th 2016 at 9:20 pm. Reason: edited post
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

that is a really good price if Heathrow works.

I just did a recheck on the WOW vs Transat for my November dates

WOW came in at $512.39 return YYZ-KEF-LGW & back. Makes for a very long day, as well as I still need to get from LGW to Manchester & back to LGW

Transat (dropped their prices) is now $583.68 YYZ-MAN-YYZ direct flight

I like Heathow as its easy to jump on the tube from there. With train fares being so high it would put your costs up a fair bit, are there buses?