Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown WOW air to Canada

Anyone flown WOW air to Canada

Old Aug 19th 2016, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

UHOP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone flown WOW air to Canada

Has anyone flown Wow air to Canada I like the idea of stopping off in Iceland.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 3:48 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown WOW air to Canada

Originally Posted by UHOP
Has anyone flown Wow air to Canada I like the idea of stopping off in Iceland.
We flew with Icelandair- they were good
It looks like a little less legroom with Wow, you can pay to get a smidge
leg room. I'm thinking no screens...
Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:43 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

no idea how good they are, yet they have low cost fares

YYZ-LGW-YYZ round trip via Iceland is a 12 hour flight each way November 13 - November 20 is $382.39 Cdn...wow!

I picked those dates for the reason its usually in the November time frame that I fly to the UK to visit family.

Unfortunately, no flights YYZ-MAN

Air Transat fare for my 21-29 November dates is $632 Cdn
Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Yes cheap will most likely flying with them next time. Could you not take National Express or Train to MAN or have family pick you at that price.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 12:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Yes cheap will most likely flying with them next time. Could you not take National Express or Train to MAN or have family pick you at that price.
I could, yet as you know it makes for a very long day, with the hassle to go with it. Also the return leg flight time out of LGW means a long frustrating day or night in a hotel in London, with the extra cost involved

Dollars for dollars taking everything into consideration (time, effort, hassle & total cost) its best for me to fly direct YYZ-MAN-YYZ on Transat for $632

Noticed also that September they have some deals around the $350 Cdn return. The outbound leg is almost 16 hrs travel time point to point
Old Aug 20th 2016, 1:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
...YYZ-LGW-YYZ round trip via Iceland is a 12 hour flight each way November 13 - November 20 is $382.39 Cdn...wow!

Unfortunately, no flights YYZ-MAN...Air Transat fare for my 21-29 November dates is $632 Cdn
Originally Posted by not2old
I could, yet as you know it makes for a very long day, with the hassle to go with it...
I'm all in favour of saving money that can be better used on something else but even I can see sometimes a bit extra is worth it. Or the saving isn't worth it.

I used to take late bookings, either from Gatwick or Bristol, the former usually being much cheaper.

I could get to Bristol airport for £5 return, Gatwick £30 but flight times meant I had to be on the Gatwick coach shortly after midnight and it took about 4 hours to get there, stopping off at several places including Heathrow on the way

By the time I was in my holiday accommodation, I'd have been up for about 30 hours and likely to be up for another 8 hours even if I had an early night.

Nowhere near as bad coming home, but occasionally it would be an early morning flight so it could be.

There has to be a significant saving or much better availability for that. And this is just Bristol-Gatwick. I imagine it could be even more wearing for Manchester.

The difference in these two flight routes is $250. If money was really tight, then maybe. But if money was that tight I'd be doubting if the trip was necessary.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 4:14 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

They are cheap, the main advantage IMO aside from that would be a stop over in Iceland- not just for a few hours though, the airport is quite nice but no real difference to any other. Icelandair allowing you up to a 7 day stopover at no penalty is a draw to using them if you were actually contemplating visiting the country although obviously that ramps up the cost as accommodation isn't cheap and meals out are certainly not!
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

If booking with WOW make sure you have an emergency fund equal to a one way fare back to Canada. There are many examples of such airlines going bankrupt overnight and leaving hundreds (thousands)of passengers stranded in another country. Many are severely under-capitalized.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:34 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
If booking with WOW make sure you have an emergency fund equal to a one way fare back to Canada. There are many examples of such airlines going bankrupt overnight and leaving hundreds (thousands)of passengers stranded in another country. Many are severely under-capitalized.

We got stuck in Calgary when Zoom went bust whilst we were in Banff whilst still living in Blighty
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

Insurance/ Section 75 protection.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:17 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

By the time you've paid for luggage, food, seat selection, the prices for the cheap ones don't work out to be vastly different to real airlibes
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:28 am
I need a walk

Insurance/ Section 75 protection.
You may get some money back though trying to get to your destination on another flight along with a plane load of similarly positioned travellers is trickier than you might think- we have been there and done that..
Old Aug 21st 2016, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup

We got stuck in Calgary when Zoom went bust whilst we were in Banff whilst still living in Blighty
I was very lucky at that time to have arrived back in Ottawa the day before they went boom
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:31 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by TrishP
I was very lucky at that time to have arrived back in Ottawa the day before they went boom
We knew that they were going to go under but we had no alternative but to risk it as, if we switched flights at such late notice then we would have lost all the money. I remember when flying back on another airline seeing a Zoom liveried plane at Calgary airport which had a JCB parked right in front of its nose so they couldn't take off- the planes had been impounded. There were so few of them, it didn't take much
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Flew Wow last month and was most impressed - seats were comfy, the connection in Iceland worked well (we flew DUB-YYZ), cabin staff were great and the food we bought was fine. We'll happily use them again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.