Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone applied for a British Citizenship for their Canadian Born child?

Anyone applied for a British Citizenship for their Canadian Born child?

Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

flexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone applied for a British Citizenship for their Canadian Born child?

Unsure if I'm posting in the correct forum...

6years after moving to Canada I now have a little girl - born last week.

Was wondering if anyone here has applied for their Canadian born children to receive British Citizenship in addition to being a Canadian?

If so any advice be great.. I've started to look at the form quickly now but not had a full chance to deep read
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone applied for a British Citizenship for their Canadian Born child?

Originally Posted by flexsingh

Was wondering if anyone here has applied for their Canadian born children to receive British Citizenship in addition to being a Canadian?

If so any advice be great.. I've started to look at the form quickly now but not had a full chance to deep read
I'm British as a result of being born in the UK. I have children who were born in Canada. They were British from birth due to parentage so there was no need to apply for citizenship. We just applied for and received British passports for them. They also had Canadian passports due to being born here and have Swiss ones due to parentage, neither of these required a citizenship application.

Is your circumstance more complicated than mine?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone applied for a British Citizenship for their Canadian Born child?

If your daughter is a British citizen at birth by descent through a parent, there's nothing you need to do. That is, you can't apply for British citizenship if you're already a British citizen. You can apply for proof of her British citizenship i.e. a British passport.

UK consular birth registration is not available for British citizens born in Canada and some other countries e.g. Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and South Africa.)
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flexsingh

I recently did this for my now 20 year old daughter. I was born in the UK, move here at 17, married at age 29. Wife is Canadian born (well if you count an anglo born in Shawinigan QC as Canadian ).

The types of forms you fill in depends on if both you and the other parent is born in Canada or UK or somewhere else and where you were married etc

Start here:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Good luck. Whatever you do when you send in the birth certificate of your child (born in Ontario?) don't send in the original of the birth certificate that is the same size as a credit card..you need to send in the legal size full official version. Same goes with marriage certificate if that is applicable.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

flexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond repute

All, thanks for replies. I am glad I posted as I probably would of done the wrong thing.
I'm British at birth (currently dual citizen) and so is my wife.
So per what you have listed I simply apply for her first British Passport. Great stuff!
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I have no answers to your questions BUT I wanted to congratulate you. I love babies!!! 🍼 👶 ❤️
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Rosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. Congratulations.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing to consider is the future, how would your child prove they are British some time hence. Make sure you have birth certificates and other documentary evidence available to pass on and if you want to double down consider applying for a children's passport now to ensure they are "in the system".

Also your children's children will not be able to pass on British Citizenship if their children are born outside the UK.

Because our son was born in Canada when I was under Crown Service he has the right to pass down parental citizenship to his children so they can pass UK citizenship to their children even if they are not born in the UK. We got all the paperwork copied and notarised as we will be long gone by the time that is an issue.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the congrats and replies.

I will be applying for her British Passport in the upcoming weeks.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It should be noted that under the current British citizenship legislation a person who is British by descent can pass on their British citizenship to children born overseas providing they have spent at least three consecutive years in the UK prior to the birth of their own children. The process is not automatic and they will need to apply to the Home Office for registration before the child in question turns 18. This would give the child in question British citizenship by descent under Section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981. They themselves cannot repeat the process and so the next generation cannot be registered in the same manner. Their grandchildren would not be eligible for British citizenship unless born in the UK or the parent in question is in Crown or designated service having been recruited in the UK.

If the parent hasn't spent the required time in the UK before their child is born then they can apply for a settlement visa from outside the UK which will give the child Indefinite Leave to Enter the UK. After three consecutive years an application for registration can be made to the Home Office under Section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981. This option is actually the superior of the two as the child in question would receive British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning their own children would be automatically be British citizens regardless of their place of birth.