Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Old Jun 15th 2017, 4:42 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Originally Posted by Steve_

Not that I care because there's nothing produced in the UK I actually give a shit about. I do watch Have I Got News For You occasionally but that's on Youtube.
Originally Posted by Hindsight
Totally agree, Have I got News for you is about the only thing worth watching and its on youtube ... plus maybe some Quite Interesting
I sense a Brokeback Mountain situation developing here- I'm going to have to go and choose a hat for possible forthcoming nuptials..........
Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:32 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Your technical ignorance is alarming, trolling?

The vpn tunnel between your endpoint and the vpn provider will be encrypted, frequently - IKEv2/IPsec (AES-256-GCM / SHA2-384 / PFS 3072-bit)

its how your local 'conversation' is hidden, but you can get a lot more secure if you want it, look up double or skip or dark cloud vpn access if you want to.

Why would you do it - Torrent is a useful protocol but these days, most people stream via machines or android tv boxes - safer easier and quicker. Its easy to get your personal info from a torrent as your ip is directly attached to the swarm and one of the swarm may be gathering info, so in countries with ambulance chasing lawyers and digital rights laws they can sue you easily for nicking the material. Not possible if you stream via vpn if the vpn is properly setup and you dont do anything silly. Incdientally most decent clients will allow you t odownload as you stream if you want to. As to 'not a lot produced in the uk' the streaming charts regularly show uk produced historical stuff in the top 10. I think david attenboroughs life on earth 2 is still up there a long time after release.

Originally Posted by Steve_
I have to say I always find this topic to be a pet peeve of mine because they're not VPNs, they're proxies, they call them VPNs because you typically use the VPN client software on your computer to connect to them. However there is no encryption as with a VPN, it's just a simple proxy relay.
Y
If you've got a computer, why the hell bother, you're effectively stealing it anyway so just download it using a torrent from a site like Pirate Bay. Then you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues because you've got the file. And if it's not popular enough to be torrented then it's probably crap you're watching anyway.

All this grief you're putting yourselves through to stream it through a browser, why bother.

Not that I care because there's nothing produced in the UK I actually give a shit about. I do watch Have I Got News For You occasionally but that's on Youtube.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 11:38 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hindsight
Totally agree, Have I got News for you is about the only thing worth watching and its on youtube ... plus maybe some Quite Interesting
Yeah the BBC has come up with some real crap dramas over the years.

Sherlock, Line of Duty, The Night Manager etc, all a load of bollocks. I'd much rather watch US TV with adverts every 8 minutes
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:14 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Well permit me to retort... [for those who have seen pulp fiction] Not all bbc but all uk productions, some canadian and us paid for

Apart from the gems from the past cadfael, poirot, the romans, i claudius, the borgias, tinker tailer soldier spy,

Lark rise to candleford, poldark, spooks, blackadder [which is coming back...] house of cards [not the rubbish us attempt] planet earth, the singing detective, war and peace, wolf hall, mr selfridge, peaky blinders, i could go on...

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yeah the BBC has come up with some real crap dramas over the years.

Sherlock, Line of Duty, The Night Manager etc, all a load of bollocks. I'd much rather watch US TV with adverts every 8 minutes
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:00 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Well permit me to retort... [for those who have seen pulp fiction] Not all bbc but all uk productions, some canadian and us paid for

Apart from the gems from the past cadfael, poirot, the romans, i claudius, the borgias, tinker tailer soldier spy,

Lark rise to candleford, poldark, spooks, blackadder [which is coming back...] house of cards [not the rubbish us attempt] planet earth, the singing detective, war and peace, wolf hall, mr selfridge, peaky blinders, i could go on...
Spot on! They also have some pretty damn good documentaries...
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

Sorry for the delay, I have only just seen your response. You do realize that I was being sarcastic don't you? In no way was I suggesting that North American TV was superior to the Beeb. Quite the contrary.

If I were to liken one North American station to the beeb, it would have to be HBO.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out Unblock-us wasn't working as AVG anti virus stopped it
Old Jun 25th 2017, 1:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Who'dathunkit...
British crimewave hits America...From Happy Valley to Peaky Blinders and The Night Of, UK shows are winning ratings and critics’ plaudits Stateside
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:05 pm
Tea Drinker

Happy Valley is an excellent show.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Valley is an excellent show.
I was going to say they all are, but I've not seen The Night Of yet.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 10:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was going to say they all are, but I've not seen The Night Of yet.
I watched season one of the UK version (Criminal Justice) and it was very good.

Have you seen the US equivalent of Broadchurch? I just don't think I can sit through it without constantly criticizing his American accent.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:34 am
Oscar nominated

Have you seen the US equivalent of Broadchurch? I just don't think I can sit through it without constantly criticizing his American accent.
Yes, quite a while back. I actually enjoyed it and I thought it worked completely in the American setting.

It was easier to take his accent than that of Rhys Ifans in Berlin Station