Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

My BBC and ITV players are still working quite well with Unblockus.com. I did register with BBC and told a couple of porkies regarding my postal code and having a license. The only issue I have now is with the Apple TV. According to the iPlayer Forum the device is now not compatible (it has been for years) as regards Closed Captioning with the BBC iPlayer. With the ITVplayer it I could never get CC, but otherwise it's okay. My hearing certainly is not as acute as in my earlier years but with some of the U.K. Dialects sounding like foreign languages, the CC absolutely contributes to my viewing pleasure.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:31 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
BBC IPlayer won't let us connect, it recognises that we aren't in the UK. I've deleted cookies but still no success.
Has anything else stopped working re: UK content? For example does the BBC news page take you to Home - BBC News or UK - BBC News

I rebooted my cable modem once and when it came back nothing worked. In the end I had to login to the unblockus sign in page on their website and click refresh. I think when the modem rebooted it gave me a different IP that was not registered with unblockus.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:07 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Has anything else stopped working re: UK content? For example does the BBC news page take you to Home - BBC News or UK - BBC News

I rebooted my cable modem once and when it came back nothing worked. In the end I had to login to the unblockus sign in page on their website and click refresh. I think when the modem rebooted it gave me a different IP that was not registered with unblockus.
Exactly the same with UnoTelly. I have to re-associate my IP address when my router reboots or when the IP changes periodically, but it takes two seconds to do that and then everything is up and running no problem.

BBC still working fine for us under UnoTelly.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Exactly the same with UnoTelly. I have to re-associate my IP address when my router reboots or when the IP changes periodically, but it takes two seconds to do that and then everything is up and running no problem.

BBC still working fine for us under UnoTelly.
Same with us...
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I always find this topic to be a pet peeve of mine because they're not VPNs, they're proxies, they call them VPNs because you typically use the VPN client software on your computer to connect to them. However there is no encryption as with a VPN, it's just a simple proxy relay.

If you've got a computer, why the hell bother, you're effectively stealing it anyway so just download it using a torrent from a site like Pirate Bay. Then you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues because you've got the file. And if it's not popular enough to be torrented then it's probably crap you're watching anyway.

All this grief you're putting yourselves through to stream it through a browser, why bother.

Not that I care because there's nothing produced in the UK I actually give a shit about. I do watch Have I Got News For You occasionally but that's on Youtube.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I have to say I always find this topic to be a pet peeve of mine because they're not VPNs, they're proxies, they call them VPNs because you typically use the VPN client software on your computer to connect to them. However there is no encryption as with a VPN, it's just a simple proxy relay.

If you've got a computer, why the hell bother, you're effectively stealing it anyway so just download it using a torrent from a site like Pirate Bay. Then you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues because you've got the file. And if it's not popular enough to be torrented then it's probably crap you're watching anyway.

All this grief you're putting yourselves through to stream it through a browser, why bother.

Not that I care because there's nothing produced in the UK I actually give a shit about. I do watch Have I Got News For You occasionally but that's on Youtube.
Who cares what you call them?

We use several Roku 3 boxes via UnoTelly, so no capacity to download. No bandwidth issues either. Runs smoothly in HD.

Same for ITV Player, 5, 4OD and other Roku-accessible channels.

As for UK-produced TV content, it is way better than the barrage of American crap.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:49 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, yes, it's a DNS service as opposed to a VPN. Whatever, that's kind of splitting hairs.

I like it to watch stuff on iPlayer. Yes, we could download instead, but iPlayer is just simpler. Plus when you watch to watch on a whim you don't have to wait for it to download. And I do download other stuff.

So whatever.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...when you watch to watch on a whim you don't have to wait for it to download. And I do download other stuff...
Yeah but it's all rubbish anyway. The Oracle says so.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 5:01 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yeah but it's all rubbish anyway. The Oracle says so.
Oh, silly me. Yes, The Oracle has indeed spoken, I should cease watching all shows I previously have watched, as I am clearly an inferior being.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 11:26 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Torrents are so last year

Most people I know stream movies on their laptop which is then connected via HDMI to their big TV and played in full screen.

I wont link direct, but www . primewire . ag is one of the best for movies and TV shows. Just be sure to use Chrome and install an add on called ublock origin
first.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...primewire...is one of the best for movies and TV shows.
My "go to" along with watchtvseries (in its various forms)
Just be sure to use Chrome and install an add on called ublock-origin
Works as an add-on for Firefox too. Saves me closing the tabs that open.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Torrents are so last year

Most people I know stream movies on their laptop which is then connected via HDMI to their big TV and played in full screen.

I wont link direct, but www . primewire . ag is one of the best for movies and TV shows. Just be sure to use Chrome and install an add on called ublock origin
first.
I spent a lot of yesterday watching BBC1 on TVCatchup - Channels and only had one brief hiccup when the router rebooted itself. I use HOXX proxy to watch iplayer - again with only rare hiccups. mostly I download from torrents, put on USB to play on TV.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree, Have I got News for you is about the only thing worth watching and its on youtube ... plus maybe some Quite Interesting
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
We use several Roku 3 boxes via UnoTelly, so no capacity to download.
Yeah but why do that, why not just buy a cheap PC and plug it into your TV. I mean you can get 2TB drives now for peanuts. Then just download the stuff from a torrent site and you can play it on back on the TV using any media player you like.

And you can stream it from a PC to any TV in your house if you want using one of those USB plug-in thingies.

As for UK-produced TV content, it is way better than the barrage of American crap.
We've had this thread on here a thousand times but the reality is that anything half decent in the UK is on cable in Canada anyway, with some very rare exceptions. And in fact a load of UK crap like Coronation Street is on CBC even.

Don't see the fascination with using proxies.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Okay, yes, it's a DNS service as opposed to a VPN. Whatever, that's kind of splitting hairs.
It's not a DNS service, it's not a VPN - it's a proxy. DNS has nothing to do with it, we're at the session and transport layers here substituting IP addresses.

I like it to watch stuff on iPlayer. Yes, we could download instead, but iPlayer is just simpler. Plus when you watch to watch on a whim you don't have to wait for it to download. And I do download other stuff.

So whatever.
Nowadays with home internet connections being over 100 mbits/s it takes a few minutes tops to download the file. And you don't have to worry about it going shaky or buffering because you've got the whole file.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.