Any advice

Old Dec 24th 2017, 12:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Canadian income grew by average of 1.08% annually over the last ten years (Canadian median income growth sluggish over past 10 years, Statscan figures show | Financial Post), which means the only year in the last 5 it outpaced inflation was 2013 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ate-in-canada/).
I don't think income growth over the past ten years was important to the circumstances of people in Toronto, perhaps it matters elsewhere. In Toronto, during that period, the price of houses rose dramatically and that had a much greater impact on individuals; some lost hope of owning a house, some gained a valuable asset, some gained a huge property tax bill on a suddenly valuable asset.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

For what it is worth, it took me just over a year to get PR, then I initiated it 10 months later and moved 35 months after that. It was about options and adventure, it ended up, eventually, being worth it. Very well paid, life has improved and I can save for that big house in uk when I retire. I hope I will be able to afford the council tax, when I left UK I was paying £2700 pa.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 6:22 am
Just Joined

YorkshireUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
For what it is worth, it took me just over a year to get PR, then I initiated it 10 months later and moved 35 months after that. It was about options and adventure, it ended up, eventually, being worth it. Very well paid, life has improved and I can save for that big house in uk when I retire. I hope I will be able to afford the council tax, when I left UK I was paying £2700 pa.
Thank you for taking the time to reply I know most people are busy this time of the year.

Other than saving we have very little assets. The speed at which housing prices have grown has seen us pretty much sidelined.

Yorkiechef thank you, it's useful to see an actual time frame, and gives us something to ponder. Council tax increased 4.99% last April and we are expecting another 5.99% increase in April 18. It's unlikely to slow down as local authorities are looking to fill the blackhole in their finances left by government funding cuts.
Do you think you would be paid as well in the UK and how has it improved your lives if you don't mind me asking ?

Last edited by YorkshireUK; Dec 24th 2017 at 6:34 am.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 2:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

A general observation is that Canada isn’t as cheap as it can first appear coming from the UK. There are endless threads on cost of living and comparisons so I would urge due diligence by carefully researching cost of living - houses, cars, property tax, insurance, food etc as well as what you might earn in your chosen profession/location and what you might be left with after tax and deductions.

The much vaunted lifestyle benefits of living in Canada are rather subjective and generally come down to space -for some, not all. Many will afford bigger houses here than in uk. Many will not be able to afford their dream house in either place.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 4:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Costs of medical and dental are not cheap! My OH has to have some dental work at $15,000. Insurance will cover around 20% of it!
Old Dec 24th 2017, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Costs of medical and dental are not cheap! My OH has to have some dental work at $15,000. Insurance will cover around 20% of it!
Ouch! I was unaware of costs like this. Thank you for sharing, it's much appreciated.

It's not a definite yet that we will move but it is gettig more likely we will at least try. We figured we would begin using the time gathering as much info as possible. I have no doubt if we go ahead we would miss the UK, despite its faults it is our home.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The much vaunted lifestyle benefits of living in Canada are rather subjective and generally come down to space -for some, not all. Many will afford bigger houses here than in uk. Many will not be able to afford their dream house in either place.
I think the benefits for us were entirely financial. We gave up family, culture and climate and gained disposable income. That's not a bargain everyone would want to make but, in any case, it no longer works in the same way in the GTA.

In 1985, the last year I had a position as an employee, I made around $80,000. We had small children so my then wife didn't work outside the home. We bought a 1950s ranch bungalow in an old style suburb on a lot 80x140 for $140,000. Again, not a style of house or area everyone would want but not something we could have purchased in London.

If one had a similar job now and worked a similar amount of overtime I suppose one could make $110,000. The same house, if you can find one that hasn't been knocked down for McMansions, now costs a million and a half. Even if both partners work, if they start from nothing, as we did, they cannot make enough money to buy the same way of life. One may be in with a chance in the rest of Canada but not the GTA and not Vancouver.

I think there is a case that there's less hassle crime here. There are a lot more shootings and homeless drug users are ubiquitous but theft of keyless entry codes for cars isn't a thing, moped gangs aren't to be feared, one doesn't have to deal with crime day-to-day. I wouldn't move countries for that.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YorkshireUK
Thank you for taking the time to reply I know most people are busy this time of the year.

Other than saving we have very little assets. The speed at which housing prices have grown has seen us pretty much sidelined.

Yorkiechef thank you, it's useful to see an actual time frame, and gives us something to ponder. Council tax increased 4.99% last April and we are expecting another 5.99% increase in April 18. It's unlikely to slow down as local authorities are looking to fill the blackhole in their finances left by government funding cuts.
Do you think you would be paid as well in the UK and how has it improved your lives if you don't mind me asking ?
Well I'm paid three times what I was paid in UK, but without the same level of job security. I have a bigger house, cars I prefer, my own car is a fj cruiser, I'm now travelling North America more frequently and I'm considered a bit of a celeb at work because I'm from the old country....funny eh! There are problems of course, lack of British culture and you have to travel far and wide to see something new, Calgary is remote.......but on balance, it's better right now. I won't retire here, too little to do in your dotage, particularly in winter. I've mentioned this to my colleagues and friends and their suggestions are curling and snow birding. I think I'll do the local village pub, a gamble on the footy and two weeks in Dubai in winter.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

cars I prefer, my own car is a fj cruiser
What ever did you drive in the UK?
Old Dec 24th 2017, 9:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=YorkshireUK;12404637]Hi, no problem. Its based somewhat on the fact that the rate of inflation, council tax, pension contributions, utility bills and rent are all going up faster than my annual salary. Early in the autumn the IFS basically cut the forecast for productivity, earnings and growth in every year until the 2020s . Now the government are going to allow a bigger increase in council tax bills next year. This is despite absolutely no real term growth in salaries for the last few years as it's been completely wiped out by inflation.

Welcome to the Tory's Brexit Britain. But without significant savings, you're stuck there.

Sorry.

May I ask how you voted in the referendum?
Old Dec 24th 2017, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
What ever did you drive in the UK?
Passat estate....dull.

2nd car was an SLK, her in doors claimed that as her run around.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;12404956]
Hi, no problem. Its based somewhat on the fact that the rate of inflation, council tax, pension contributions, utility bills and rent are all going up faster than my annual salary. Early in the autumn the IFS basically cut the forecast for productivity, earnings and growth in every year until the 2020s . Now the government are going to allow a bigger increase in council tax bills next year. This is despite absolutely no real term growth in salaries for the last few years as it's been completely wiped out by inflation.

Welcome to the Tory's Brexit Britain. But without significant savings, you're stuck there.

Sorry.

Totally irrelevant, with over 1 million more voting to leave than stay, their vote was irrelevant. Stop trolling!
Old Dec 24th 2017, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Well I'm paid three times what I was paid in UK, but without the same level of job security. I have a bigger house, cars I prefer, my own car is a fj cruiser, I'm now travelling North America more frequently and I'm considered a bit of a celeb at work because I'm from the old country....funny eh! There are problems of course, lack of British culture and you have to travel far and wide to see something new, Calgary is remote.......but on balance, it's better right now. I won't retire here, too little to do in your dotage, particularly in winter. I've mentioned this to my colleagues and friends and their suggestions are curling and snow birding. I think I'll do the local village pub, a gamble on the footy and two weeks in Dubai in winter.
Thank you Yorkiechef, as i have already said, real boots on the ground advice is what we are looking for right now to form and shape our plans. There are no illusions that it will be easy, and we are aware it will be super difficult at times but we just feel like it might be worth a shot.

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;12404956]
Hi, no problem. Its based somewhat on the fact that the rate of inflation, council tax, pension contributions, utility bills and rent are all going up faster than my annual salary. Early in the autumn the IFS basically cut the forecast for productivity, earnings and growth in every year until the 2020s . Now the government are going to allow a bigger increase in council tax bills next year. This is despite absolutely no real term growth in salaries for the last few years as it's been completely wiped out by inflation.

Sorry.

As pointed out, it is pretty irrelevant, the majority of the country wanted Brexit.
I voted remain for what its worth, without getting too political, despite strong misgiving about the direction europe is taking, I was unwilling to vote leave based on the fact the EU became a punchbag for the Tories to focus peoples attentions on.
I am however not a remoaner and think we just need to get on with it now and make sure we get the best deal for ALL parties involved. Europe needs a strong UK and the UK needs a strong relationship with Europe.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

What's an fj cruiser?

Council tax isn't cheap here either. We pay $2200 for a 1000 sq foot house in a village.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What's an fj cruiser?
Discontinued model from Toyota. Highest retained value model and highest gas consumption!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.