Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any AAT qualified people out there?

Any AAT qualified people out there?

Old May 16th 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any AAT qualified people out there?

Hi,

My OH and me are looking to move to one of The Maritimes and I've been looking as my qualifications. I'm AAT Tech qualified which in the UK is equivalent to a NVQ4. I'm sure AAT isn't recognised and I'm good to get in accredited for Canada. I've also seen from previous threads that Canada is far hotter on qualifications than we are in the UK.

My question is has anyone else been in a similar situation? What qualification did you end up with? (I was thinking along the lines of Bookkeeper level) How did you find looking for a job, settling into work etc.. with being AAT?

Thanks guys
Old May 16th 2017, 1:15 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any AAT qualified people out there?

AAT isnt recognized here and no one has heard of NVQ's. It is however similar to Accounting Diploma so make sure you explain it that way to any potental employers.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The nearest thing to an AAT qualification in Canada is the Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance. https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/cpa-cana...ng-and-finance. You might be able to get some course exemptions.

If you intend to set up a bookkeeping practice then Institute of Professional Bookkeepers of Canada is a good resource but it is not a designation.

Also consider a local vocational school. For example, the British Columbia Institute of Technology has accounting courses starting from the basics to diploma and degree level. Its qualifications are recognized and valued by employers. I am sure there must be somewhere similar in Halifax. You also get the opportunity to meet other people who are in a similar position to you. This can be an opportunity to make lifelong business associates and friends.

As a bookkeeper you will not be expected to know much about the Income Tax Act but you will be expected to have a working knowledge of HST, payroll withholdings and workers compensation premiums so brush up on those.
Old May 17th 2017, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I will definitely have a look at the links you've given me. I'm not planning on opening my own business, at least for some time anyway

Jonboy do you work in finance?
Old May 20th 2017, 2:19 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
Jonboy do you work in finance?
I am an accountant, as is Howefamily.