Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Android TV boxes

Android TV boxes

Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:15 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Android TV boxes

I've been using Kodi on a laptop for a while. I have the laptop sitting on a coffee table connected with a 6 ft HDMI cable. It looks a bit messy. I'd prefer to have a dedicated Kodi box that I could use with a remote. I'll use the laptop for now though. With an android box is it possible to upgrade Kodi? How does it work with a remote? If I had enough time I'd get a raspberry pi and set it up.

I added the vdeo add-ons and go to filmontv and watch live UK TV from there. The trouble is I usually watch it in the evening's here but it's early hours in the UK and there's not a lot of prime time stuff at that time. I think you need an account with FilmOn to record shows. Has anyone done this?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about

I record and view Filmon on my Windows computers ranging from XP to Windows 10.
The Filmon Player retains my favourite channels without having an account, never buffers and no adverts.
It also includes a recorder/scheduler for recording on the hard drive for up to 4 hours.
It can be hard to find the player to download on Filmon's website. If you go to FILMON TV FREE LIVE TV MOVIES AND SOCIAL TELEVISION Have a look at the page and if you click the rectangle (which has two green tick marks, Apple, Windows, Android etc icons) you will find the viewer's downloadable file to install the player. In the Windows version the recordings are saved as .ts files and will playback in the viewer. Note in this free version it's SD not HD.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:24 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I've been using Kodi on a laptop for a while. I have the laptop sitting on a coffee table connected with a 6 ft HDMI cable. It looks a bit messy. I'd prefer to have a dedicated Kodi box that I could use with a remote. I'll use the laptop for now though. With an android box is it possible to upgrade Kodi? How does it work with a remote? If I had enough time I'd get a raspberry pi and set it up.

I added the vdeo add-ons and go to filmontv and watch live UK TV from there. The trouble is I usually watch it in the evening's here but it's early hours in the UK and there's not a lot of prime time stuff at that time. I think you need an account with FilmOn to record shows. Has anyone done this?
Yes my Kodi is the Jarvis version. Why dont you download BBC iplayer, ITV? I think you need to get a decent VPN/DnS. I use Unotelly which works with everything.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:27 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not sure what you mean by that.
Last week, for example, there were midweek matches starting at 3.45 UK time and 4.00. Saturday's are usually fixed times but Sunday's often vary.

Today I sat down for Sunderland v Arsenal assuming the usual 1.30uk time, cursed at Sportsnet for changing to Baseball and then discovered it was 2.05 KO.
PMed u.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:31 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Niloc
I record and view Filmon on my Windows computers ranging from XP to Windows 10.
The Filmon Player retains my favourite channels without having an account, never buffers and no adverts.
It also includes a recorder/scheduler for recording on the hard drive for up to 4 hours.
It can be hard to find the player to download on Filmon's website. If you go to FILMON TV FREE LIVE TV MOVIES AND SOCIAL TELEVISION Have a look at the page and if you click the rectangle (which has two green tick marks, Apple, Windows, Android etc icons) you will find the viewer's downloadable file to install the player. In the Windows version the recordings are saved as .ts files and will playback in the viewer. Note in this free version it's SD not HD.
Thanks. That works pretty well. Do you think it's worth paying for the HD version?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That works pretty well. Do you think it's worth paying for the HD version?
I use Filmon all the time here. Due to the time difference to UK I pay about £6.50 a month for which I get 11 hours of recording. I have my favourite channels set and just tick which programmes i want to record. Once recorded and downloaded then delete the programme from your Filmon menu and the time is available to use again. A quirk of Filmon is that although the free streaming is SD, downloaded recordings are in HD. Cannot recommend it highly enough, especially as a lot of the stuff we like to watch has small audiences and so never makes it onto the torrents.
I did stream the London Marathon yesterday 'cos the timing was good. Watched over 3 hours worth with no buffering at all.
As I stream so little, I would not pay for the HD stream , the odd one I do stream is OK in SD for me.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add. The BBC 10 o'clock news is on at 5.00am here - middle of the night for me, but I record it and watch it whilst having breakfast.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Just to add. The BBC 10 o'clock news is on at 5.00am here - middle of the night for me, but I record it and watch it whilst having breakfast.
Doesn't that mean leaving your computer open all night?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Doesn't that mean leaving your computer open all night?
No, I set up my recordings then shut down. My programmes are held on the Filmon servers so next morning, just log onto Filmon and download those shown as recorded. Simples!
Oh, and so long as i pay my monthly dues, Filmon will keep them as long as i want. In practice the longest I kept a programme was a week when I was on holiday and had no internet access. just downloaded when I got home.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
No, I set up my recordings then shut down. My programmes are held on the Filmon servers so next morning, just log onto Filmon and download those shown as recorded.
Ah, gottit. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:39 am
Éireann go Brách

If watch through the BBC iplayer on their website you can watch with HD, in fact any of their programmes. Download Hola to watch from Canada.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Download Hola to watch from Canada.
You've not had any of the "issues" everyone and their dog has been warning about regarding Hola?
Old May 27th 2016, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

maramos is an unknown quantity at this point

What is minimum Internet speed requirement for streaming without lag/buffer
Old May 27th 2016, 9:06 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maramos
What is minimum Internet speed requirement for streaming without lag/buffer
We struggled when we had Telus at 12 Mbs (or whatever the units are - now Shaw- around 110Mbs
Old May 28th 2016, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

maramos is an unknown quantity at this point

I imagine 110Mbps will be quite expensive.
I will test 12Mbps and increase from there until I find sweet spot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.