Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice needed (Calgary, Kelowna, Vancouver)

Advice needed (Calgary, Kelowna, Vancouver)

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Teal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice needed (Calgary, Kelowna, Vancouver)

Hello,

I have read a number of threads on this forum regarding the questions I have, but would like to have some real up to date information and advice, as threads from 2010 - 2014 may not be that useful in light of recent economic changes. This is going to be a long babble, I warn you, but from what I can tell, when people come on here asking questions, most seem to like background info and as much specific info as possible to provide the best advice... so here goes...

Firstly, myself and my husband are in the process of researching moving over to Canada temporarily (hopefully summer 2017) I say temporarily because we may decide that it's not for us and eventually come back, or, we may not get PR for whatever reason. I am looking into studying a Masters in Social Work at either UBC - Kelowna/Vancouver, or UofC. All being well, my husband and I would get open work permits for the two years of the program, and for two years after the program.

I have worked in mainly admin/secretarial roles up until studying for my degree. My husband was in the Royal Navy for 6 years, was made redundant, got a job in manufacturing within the oil and gas industry, was made redundant, now works in the North Sea as a medical/safety officer on a standby vessel and guess what, is facing his third redundancy in 4 years. Delightful. This recent turn of events is giving us a push to go for Canada, not because we think it's all sunshine and roses and all our problems will be solved, but we have always put off the idea to play it safe and stay in the UK, and it doesn't seem to be paying off for us, the way we see it, we may need to move from where we are in the UK and relocate for better opps/training opps, why not do it in Canada? Before anyone says, going to Canada might not provide better opps than where we are now, we live in Grimsby, yeah I will just let that soak in...

Anyway, while I study (I am told I could work about 16hours per week comfortably) I will get a survival job, something relevant to youth work/social care would be great but probably not all that realistic. My husband will need to find full time work. This is my main concern, once my studies are completed I will essentially be the main 'breadwinner' but for the first two years, he will need to bring in a solid income. Not big bucks, but something sustainable for us. We have about £30k to fund the move and help with setting up over there (no kids, 1 dog, not bringing any stuff except sentimental items and clothing) I've estimated that getting us plus our dog over, setting up, buying a cheap car, having 6 months living costs budgeted for, plus tuition fees leaves about $10,000 - $15000 left in the bank (dependent on exchange rates) for 'emergency money' or I figured $500 per month for the months I am studying to contribute to living costs.

My husband is happy to take any work he can get, however I am worried that if we choose to go to Kelowna, there simply aren't enough jobs he could do. I don't worry as much about Vancouver, but it's not somewhere I could see us settling and it's expensive to live there, so that has to be factored in.

Now, Calgary... from my understanding Calgary has plenty of survival type jobs etc but from those of you that live there, do you think this is likely to be affected by the current downturn in the oil and gas industry? Calgary is the place we have decided is probably our 'best fit' but I worry that as someone essentially 'unskilled' will my husband struggle to find work? the last thing I want is for us to make this move and essentially have to pack up and come back because it's near impossible for him to find full time work because of the economy.

I would like to ask:

For those living or have lived in Kelowna, Vancouver, Calgary, how would you say the job market is for 'unskilled' jobs?

What is the rental market like in each place... we would be looking to rent a 2 bed place, with our dog, nothing fancy but in a safe neighbourhood. I would be looking at budgeting about $900-1400 per month for this.

How is each place for travelling around/commuting? We will be buying a car between us, so likelihood is, one of us will be bussing it or catching trains/walking/biking.

I haven't previously mentioned this, but we have also looked at Halifax, NS. Anyone who lives there, please can you give some advice on what it is actually like living there in relation to the above questions.

I understand this post is a little all over the place, but this is representative of my head at the minute. We have a lot to consider, and if anyone reading this feels we may have overlooked other cities/provinces that would hold more promise, please feel free to advise.

Cheers,

Tara.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed (Calgary, Kelowna, Vancouver)

Employers in Calgary don't appear to be as paper obsessed as employers in other regions in Canada. I make this comment purely based upon what people say on this site.

I act for all manner of clients that are employed in all manner of sectors in Calgary. Some of them work in the oil sands too. While I have heard in the media of lots of layoffs, I only know of one client that was laid off (just before a trial of his started before Christmas) and he has found another job.

Lots of clients have had their hours cut though.

I arrived in Calgary in 2007 and, clearly, the work situation isn't as good as it was then. I am very good friends with my accountant and, recently, I asked him how the work situation was with most of his clients (i.e., how are their businesses doing?). His experience is very similar to mine.

From my experience, if you are willing to work, employers in Calgary will give you an opportunity to do so.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
From my experience, if you are willing to work, employers in Calgary will give you an opportunity to do so.
Very encouraging to hear as I am also looking at Calgary, but like the say the media is extremely doom and gloom.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Teal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond reputeTeal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - This is good to hear. As far as living in Calgary goes, do you have any knowledge of the rental market? and if our budget is realistic?

Neighbourhood wise we wanted to try and find somewhere close(ish) to the uni, so I'd say we would want to be west of the city. Are there any areas we should avoid?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Beckiwoo is a social/youth worker (or in a related field) from the UK, I believe. Her posts might be of interest to you?

If you come over on a study permit, your husband could get an open work permit. As a student you could work up to 20h/w, & upon completion of your studies be eligible for a Post-Graduate WP.

Most university websites have links to advice on accommodation for international students on their websites. Perhaps look at those, then post specific questions about areas/rents?

Have you factored tuition costs into your budget?

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 23rd 2016 at 2:32 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Beckiwoo is a social/youth worker (or in a related field) from the UK, I believe. Her posts might be of interest to you?

If you come over on a study permit, your husband could get an open work permit. As a student you could work up to 20h/w, & upon completion of your studies be eligible for a Post-Graduate WP.

Most university websites have links to advice on accommodation for international students on their websites. Perhaps look at those, then post specific questions about areas/rents?

Have you factored tuition costs into your budget?
Thanks, I will have a look at some of her posts.

I have looked at accommodation options on UofC site and it seems to be more geared towards younger people. I am 31 and we don't fancy living with a bunch of younger students. I have looked on Kijiji and Rentfaster.ca for a general idea but wanted to hear directly from people living there how difficult it might be finding a place. Essentially we will most likely be arriving without jobs to go to, so I imagine we will need to pay a few months rent upfront.

I have factored in tuition costs upfront for the full course as I've had quotes from all the uni's I am applying for and have also factored in their family health coverage too.

I wanted to ask, we will be buying a 'banger' to get around in, is $4000 a healthy enough budget to find something fairly ok? also, will we need a 4WD for winter? Is it even essential to have a car? could you just hire one when needed and rely on public transport?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to factor in that car insurance might be eyewateringly expensive

No need for 4WD in Van or Calgary. I personally find 4K ample for a "banger". Others may differ. Include parking in your research.

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 23rd 2016 at 3:30 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again.. I had budgeted for car insurance for 1 year upfront, but I guessed at about $2000? but this is something people can't really advise on isn't it... I suppose everyone pays a different amount! Good to know $4k is decent enough for a banger! Ahh parking fees, something I didn't think of!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teal
Thanks - This is good to hear. As far as living in Calgary goes, do you have any knowledge of the rental market? and if our budget is realistic?

Neighbourhood wise we wanted to try and find somewhere close(ish) to the uni, so I'd say we would want to be west of the city. Are there any areas we should avoid?
You won't get much for a rental of $1,500, although I hear that the market has softened somewhat recently.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Teal
Thanks again.. I had budgeted for car insurance for 1 year upfront, but I guessed at about $2000? but this is something people can't really advise on isn't it... I suppose everyone pays a different amount! Good to know $4k is decent enough for a banger! Ahh parking fees, something I didn't think of!
As newbies with a 4 year old or so minivan, we paid around $1,000 a year. The horror stories you hear on here are from Ontario/BC for those that don't have the mandated ICBC letter from their insurers.

To answer your other questions (doing this between meeting clients) there are no bad areas of the city. Nothing here is any worse that anything you will see in most UK cities. The NE gets a bad rap, mostly from people that have never been there
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Teal;11876547]

I would like to ask:

For those living or have lived in Kelowna, Vancouver, Calgary, how would you say the job market is for 'unskilled' jobs?

What is the rental market like in each place... we would be looking to rent a 2 bed place, with our dog, nothing fancy but in a safe neighbourhood. I would be looking at budgeting about $900-1400 per month for this.

How is each place for travelling around/commuting? We will be buying a car between us, so likelihood is, one of us will be bussing it or catching trains/walking/biking.

[QUOTE]

There are a lot of jobs for unskilled workers in Vancouver and I would say the city hasn't been as affected as other Canadian cities by the downturn. As an example my wife recently accompanied me on my TFW visa and found a job as a shift supervisor at Starbucks within 4 weeks of us arriving. She had previous experience in a UK based coffee chain as an Assistant manager but she had her pick of jobs.

In Vancouver this budget would be low for a 1 bed. I would suggest you look 1400 to 2000 a month for a 1 bed and up to 2500 for a 2 bed. You can get a little cheaper going out to the burbs but they are quickly going up in price as well. I hear a lot of good things about New Westminster and Coquitlum thought. Just what ever you do not even think of slurry (sorry Surrey). You don't pay council tax in Canada as a renter so that may bring your budget up a bit higher if you were bargaining that in.

I find public transport in Van easy. You have the B line buses (B line 99) goes all the way out to UBC, sky train, water bus and lots of car share companies. If you do decide to go to Van you may not even need a car and can put the extra money to rent (opposed to paying ICBC astronomic insurance, compared to UK).
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
... Just what ever you do not even think of slurry (sorry Surrey)...
Fortunately, posting opinionated b*ll*cks about stuff you know nothing about is not against the site rules.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
As newbies with a 4 year old or so minivan, we paid around $1,000 a year. The horror stories you hear on here are from Ontario/BC for those that don't have the mandated ICBC letter from their insurers.

To answer your other questions (doing this between meeting clients) there are no bad areas of the city. Nothing here is any worse that anything you will see in most UK cities. The NE gets a bad rap, mostly from people that have never been there
Thanks again! Really appreciate it. We might need to have a look at our accommodation budget as we were hoping to get something for under $1500 per month. Is it common for landlord to include utilities? I'd have no idea on the cost of utilities either, so if anyone can enlighten me it would help (based on 2 bed place, small house or apartment).

Good to know that most areas around Calgary are fine, coming from Grimsby I don't see us having an issues with that anyway in all honesty!

Calgary is the area we are most keen on, however, whether or not we end up there depends on me being accepted to study the masters program. If anyone on these forums has any knowledge or experience of studying in Calgary, Kelowna or Vancouver I'd be interested to discuss their experiences.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Fortunately, posting opinionated b*ll*cks about stuff you know nothing about is not against the site rules.
Each to their own and yes it's an opinion (which are like arseholes) but that's what we were asked to provide. Sorry just do not like the place.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Engineer_abroad;11877178][QUOTE=Teal;11876547]

There are a lot of jobs for unskilled workers in Vancouver and I would say the city hasn't been as affected as other Canadian cities by the downturn. As an example my wife recently accompanied me on my TFW visa and found a job as a shift supervisor at Starbucks within 4 weeks of us arriving. She had previous experience in a UK based coffee chain as an Assistant manager but she had her pick of jobs.

In Vancouver this budget would be low for a 1 bed. I would suggest you look 1400 to 2000 a month for a 1 bed and up to 2500 for a 2 bed. You can get a little cheaper going out to the burbs but they are quickly going up in price as well. I hear a lot of good things about New Westminster and Coquitlum thought. Just what ever you do not even think of slurry (sorry Surrey). You don't pay council tax in Canada as a renter so that may bring your budget up a bit higher if you were bargaining that in.

I find public transport in Van easy. You have the B line buses (B line 99) goes all the way out to UBC, sky train, water bus and lots of car share companies. If you do decide to go to Van you may not even need a car and can put the extra money to rent (opposed to paying ICBC astronomic insurance, compared to UK).

Thanks for this, really great info, appreciate it. I think the pincher for us is the OH finding something that provides enough income whilst I study and work part time. The good thing about studying at UBC is the tuition fees are considerably lower for international students than in Calgary, not sure why, but that will help so we would likely have enough spare cash to help with living costs, and as you say, public transport seems better. We would manage fine living in a 1 bed to start out.

Last edited by Teal; Feb 23rd 2016 at 8:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.