Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for Alberta

Advice for Alberta

Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Alberta

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Yeah, the slogan they went with trips off the tongue a bit more easily than "BC's not the only BC in Canada, we've got a bit of one too!"
But it's a silly slogan. On that theme a simple "Breathtaking" would convey it well. Then they could abbreviate it AB (Alberta, Breathtaking).
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

emmery is an unknown quantity at this point

For some reason I never thought about using Reddit, it's good idea thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:05 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But it's a silly slogan. On that theme a simple "Breathtaking" would convey it well. Then they could abbreviate it AB (Alberta, Breathtaking).
The fact they only show Edmonton and Calgary for about 10 seconds of the near 3 mins says a lot
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
The fact they only show Edmonton and Calgary for about 10 seconds of the near 3 mins says a lot
Well tourists don't go to Alberta for Edmonton, that's for sure! It's an inspirational ad, quite common to the sector. Interesting that they only showed a little boy, don't little girls like Alberta too?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Well tourists don't go to Alberta for Edmonton, that's for sure! It's an inspirational ad, quite common to the sector. Interesting that they only showed a little boy, don't little girls like Alberta too?
why bother Alberta is a flat dust-bowl with a few mountains tacked on the end..lets be honest once you seen one mountain you have seen them all
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:29 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
why bother Alberta is a flat dust-bowl with a few mountains tacked on the end..lets be honest once you seen one mountain you have seen them all
If you ski or hike they are a bit more interesting.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. It's a tourism ad. They promote what inspires visitation, not a realistic portrayal of daily life of residents. Calgary and Edmonton aren't inspiring enough for people to pick up and spend thousands on airfare for a trip. The Rockies, however, are. That explains the video, but it certainly doesn't represent what it's like to live in Alberta. The populated parts of Alberta are situated upon the prairie, which have a stark beauty if you can see beyond the suburban sprawl. I really do like Edmonton and Calgary. I say this with love.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Sam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it Emmery ....life is an adventure and what you make of it ....I not saying it will be easy ...it won't of course you don't know anyone ...yet...but you will 😁
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Lorno Malvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump in but is the economy on the rise in Alberta, anyone know?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorno Malvo
Sorry to jump in but is the economy on the rise in Alberta, anyone know?

The Alberta Treasury Board and Finances produce a report on the economic outlook of Alberta. The forecast basically said;
2017 - Growth is expected to return
2017-2020 - This period will see growth, but this period is expected to be bringing back what was lost since the oil price crash rather than actual growth. It is expected that it'll take until 2020 until all of the jobs lost in the oil price crash will have returned. It is expected these jobs will not be oil jobs though and that the oil sector will now remain smaller for the foreseeable future.

House demand is still quite high but apparently not high enough for major construction works to continue and so prices will remain where they are due to a lack of new construction.

Overall it is expected to be a challenging employment environment unless you're working in a sector that is in demand.
For 2017-2020
Engineering is forecast low demand
IT is forecast average demand
Health professions and retail workers are forecast above average demand

Even with all that in mind, I'm still going to move over, but I think the chances of an engineer like me finding a job before I land is pretty slim which is a little scary!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:03 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
The Alberta Treasury Board and Finances produce a report on the economic outlook of Alberta. The forecast basically said;
2017 - Growth is expected to return
2017-2020 - This period will see growth, but this period is expected to be bringing back what was lost since the oil price crash rather than actual growth. It is expected that it'll take until 2020 until all of the jobs lost in the oil price crash will have returned. It is expected these jobs will not be oil jobs though and that the oil sector will now remain smaller for the foreseeable future.

House demand is still quite high but apparently not high enough for major construction works to continue and so prices will remain where they are due to a lack of new construction.

Overall it is expected to be a challenging employment environment unless you're working in a sector that is in demand.
For 2017-2020
Engineering is forecast low demand
IT is forecast average demand
Health professions and retail workers are forecast above average demand

Even with all that in mind, I'm still going to move over, but I think the chances of an engineer like me finding a job before I land is pretty slim which is a little scary!
Will depend on which part of Alberta you are moving to
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Well I am an electrician with the Red Seal...how's the construction market going in Calgary, anybody?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:33 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am an electrician with the Red Seal...how's the construction market going in Calgary, anybody?
Whilst there are many anecdotal stories out there about how dire the property market is, and how construction has all but stopped, all I can offer is my personal experiences on the ground.

Infill/tailgate Construction: Very active. I live in an older neighbourhood (mid 50s - now considered "inner-city") and on my block alone there are 4 infill construction projects happening. Expand that radius to the surrounding 3x3 block grid and there something in the order of 15 infill projects. Most neighbourhoods I visit in the city (that allow R-2 infill construction) are experiencing the same boom in infills.

Tract Construction: I have a friend that works sales for one of the new neighbourhood construction companies for about 5 years, and he claims they've never been busier. They're making sales with next to little effort. There's something like 8 large neighbourhoods being developed around the edges of the city.

Last edited by Photoplex; Oct 5th 2017 at 9:36 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Whilst there are many anecdotal stories out there about how dire the property market is, and how construction has all but stopped, all I can offer is my personal experiences on the ground.

Infill/tailgate Construction: Very active. I live in an older neighbourhood (mid 50s - now considered "inner-city") and on my block alone there are 4 infill construction projects happening. Expand that radius to the surrounding 3x3 block grid and there something in the order of 15 infill projects. Most neighbourhoods I visit in the city (that allow R-2 infill construction) are experiencing the same boom in infills.

Tract Construction: I have a friend that works sales for one of the new neighbourhood construction companies for about 5 years, and he claims they've never been busier. They're making sales with next to little effort. There's something like 8 large neighbourhoods being developed around the edges of the city.
Do you encounter many unemployed construction workers?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:07 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Do you encounter many unemployed construction workers?
I don't encounter many construction workers of any kind, so can't really provide any insight on that. The only ones I see are the ones actively working projects around the city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.