Reload this Page >

Advice for Alberta

Advice for Alberta

Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

emmery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for Alberta

Greetings to you all.

Long time lurker but first time (ish) poster.

I know that there are many long time members on these forums with a wealth of knowledge. I have read many of your posts over the weeks and now wish to pick your brains.

I'm soon to start my immigration process to make a move to Canada. I've researched the forums thoroughly and believe I'm eligible for express entry and have not a great but modest case to get entry as a PR over the next few years with a bit of luck.

The overwhelming number of posts on this site are for families or couples moving. I see little to no advice for that of a single person.

I'm a 33 year old man with no children and no commitments here in the UK other than a small family. Canada has long been my destination of choice and for various reasons I believe Alberta (Edmonton) to suit my needs.

I understand how difficult it is to make the move and the challenges people face. I wonder if anyone knows of someone in my situation or similar who has made a success of it.

Do you think moving out alone would be easier or more difficult? Am I likely to find myself alone in a foreign country with no family or friends and think "oh dear" this was a mistake.

King regards

Emmery
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Alberta

Originally Posted by emmery
Greetings to you all.

Long time lurker but first time (ish) poster.

I know that there are many long time members on these forums with a wealth of knowledge. I have read many of your posts over the weeks and now wish to pick your brains.

I'm soon to start my immigration process to make a move to Canada. I've researched the forums thoroughly and believe I'm eligible for express entry and have not a great but modest case to get entry as a PR over the next few years with a bit of luck.

The overwhelming number of posts on this site are for families or couples moving. I see little to no advice for that of a single person.

I'm a 33 year old man with no children and no commitments here in the UK other than a small family. Canada has long been my destination of choice and for various reasons I believe Alberta (Edmonton) to suit my needs.

I understand how difficult it is to make the move and the challenges people face. I wonder if anyone knows of someone in my situation or similar who has made a success of it.

Do you think moving out alone would be easier or more difficult? Am I likely to find myself alone in a foreign country with no family or friends and think "oh dear" this was a mistake.

King regards

Emmery
Probably a bit more difficult to be honest. You'll have read that there's less of an after works drinks culture in Canada, and by mid thirties many people are starting families. Having said that, it depends on you, how sociable you are, your interests, type of work, and where you choose to live. If you can provide more lifestyle/personality details, you'll get better quality feedback from the forum.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Depends entirely how you feel about putting yourself in a new situation. Lots of people do IEC in early-mid 30s (Irish and others can enter Canada as late as 36), which is normally done by themselves. Brits are rarely over 31 when they start (which is functionally same as 33?).

It's not all that different from deciding at 33 to up and move to another city in Britain you've never lived in (eg for work) and know no-one in. It's some different. People in Canada move, just like people in Britain do. Whenever you're doing that by yourself, it's on you to meet new people - whatever your preferred way of doing that is, eg online, joining activity groups, etc.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any reason why you are looking to head to Edmonton?
Old Sep 18th 2017, 5:15 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is there any reason why you are looking to head to Edmonton?
Agreed? i live in Edmonton and have also lived in Calgary..be interesting as to why you choose Edmonton over Calgary as a single man??
Old Sep 18th 2017, 5:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Agreed? i live in Edmonton and have also lived in Calgary..be interesting as to why you choose Edmonton over Calgary as a single man??
How about yourself? Calgary not cold enough for you?
Old Sep 18th 2017, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

emmery is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the prompt feedback.

Out of Calgary and Edmonton I would choose Calgary if I had a free choice. My reason for choosing Edmonton is based on the EPS recruiting and the PR requirement compared to Calgary. If that route does not work out I guess I could always move anyway.

I'm generally a social kind of guy and get on well with almost everybody. My plan upon arrival was to make a real concerted effort to put myself out there. I suspect if i do not I would end up sitting alone in a apartment not being a happy bunny.

I have looked into social groups that have meet ups and thought about getting involved in every kind of group activity I see going. Volunteering was also an option to meet people and get to know the area.

I see Edmonton residents on this site. Can you locals provide me with an idea if such a social scene exists. I have seen a thriving activity and meet up community in Vancouver but suspect that Alberta in general is a different kettle of fish.

Regards

Emmery
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:20 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How about yourself? Calgary not cold enough for you?
Because i can
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

pathfinder_05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emmery
Many thanks for the prompt feedback.

Out of Calgary and Edmonton I would choose Calgary if I had a free choice. My reason for choosing Edmonton is based on the EPS recruiting and the PR requirement compared to Calgary. If that route does not work out I guess I could always move anyway.

I'm generally a social kind of guy and get on well with almost everybody. My plan upon arrival was to make a real concerted effort to put myself out there. I suspect if i do not I would end up sitting alone in a apartment not being a happy bunny.

I have looked into social groups that have meet ups and thought about getting involved in every kind of group activity I see going. Volunteering was also an option to meet people and get to know the area.

I see Edmonton residents on this site. Can you locals provide me with an idea if such a social scene exists. I have seen a thriving activity and meet up community in Vancouver but suspect that Alberta in general is a different kettle of fish.

Regards

Emmery
Hey man, I found Reddit and facebook to be useful.

Here is the subreddit for Edmonton, there are 20,000 subscribers so it's a decent group - https://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/ - I joined the Calgary one. Also, I think Reddit is more your style.

There are many groups on Facebook as well.

My papers, if all goes according to plan, will be done in a year. So in the meantime I am joining groups, asking questions, making introductions etc.

Best of luck to you.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I like Edmonton. Even though it has its blue-collar roots and is a bit more isolated from anywhere else, it has a thriving arts scene, a strong academic culture, and the people are lovely. However, like most prairie* cities in Canada, people start having families there fairly young compared to cities like Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal. So as a 33-year-old, I'd hesitate to move there for single's culture. You'll be a minority, for sure, though obviously you can meet singles there. But the culture shock will be much more profound there than Canada's larger cities, and perhaps even moreso than Calgary, I think. From my experience working a summer in Calgary, it seems to attract more career-oriented singles where it's not unusual to be single and childless in your thirties.

Another thing about living in Canada's prairie cities is that it is truly a driving culture. You'll be driving everywhere. There is no UK pub culture and people socialize slightly differently than they do in the UK, so you really have to make an effort to put yourself out there and meet people. There is no assumption you will be socializing with coworkers after work. You'll have to coordinate it and put all the effort, so something to be considered. You will be living a different lifestyle for sure.

* Alberta's one of Canada's three prairie provinces with Manitoba and Saskatchewan being the other two.

Last edited by Lychee; Sep 24th 2017 at 7:52 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:25 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This new tourism ad for Alberta is rather good dontcha think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJhF...ature=youtu.be
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:59 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Remember to breathe!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:42 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Danny B

Yes impressive. Hope it's not raising expectations too much.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Steve_0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Emmery,

I did the exact same thing, Applied for express entry back in May now have my COPR and am moving next week to Edmonton, AB from the UK.

Single guy, early 20's. I choose Edmonton as my company has an office there so I can do a quick transfer. From my visits to Edmonton I feel as if there is more of a family vibe but with the University of Alberta close by there must be some social activities.

"Do you think moving out alone would be easier or more difficult? Am I likely to find myself alone in a foreign country with no family or friends and think "oh dear" this was a mistake."

Moving alone with no connections will always be more difficult, but not impossible. I have planned as much as I can for my first month including budgeting to allow as smooth of transition as possible. As you have not yet applied for Express entry you have a long time to plan. I would start looking into the language test and assessment checks for now!

I wish you good luck,
Steve
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Remember to breathe!
Yeah, the slogan they went with trips off the tongue a bit more easily than "BC's not the only BC in Canada, we've got a bit of one too!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.