Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security Clearance

Security Clearance

Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

mcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Security Clearance

Well, I've been living in Ottawa for a couple of years now as a Permanent Resident and finally decided that since so many jobs here involve federal government work and need a basic security clearance I should apply for my Enhanced Reliability.

I've applied for it through a recruitment agency but I'm getting the runaround a bit, possibly because it means slightly more work for them than a security clearance for a Canadian citizen.

The most recent reply I got from the agency directed me to the ACRO website to get a police certificate to cover time spent living in the UK over the past five years. I found a few threads on this forum that say you need a Disclosure Scotland certificate, not ACRO, but the threads are all a few years old. Has anyone been through this recently? Is it definitely still Disclosure Scotland? Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process?

Thanks,

McDanger!

Last edited by mcdanger; Apr 16th 2018 at 5:43 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

mcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security Clearance

I haven't managed to track down the answer to this yet, but I did find a webpage where Public Works describe the security clearance process. They say that anyone like me who needs an out-of-country verification will need to get a police certificate and have it verified by that country's high commission.

I realised that if the UK high commission has to deal with this stuff on the regular, they'll probably be able to give me more information. So I've sent them an email and we'll see what they say.

(Tried to post a link to the PWGSC website but apparently I don't have enough posts here to do that yet. Anyone who's interested can google for Canada government personnel security screening processes and they'll probably find it.)
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Applying for Security Clearance

The general public cannot apply for clearance without the support of an employer. That employer’s HR department will direct you to the appropriate Applicant Screening Form.

Information on this form is collected under the authority of subsection 7(1) of the Financial Administration Act and the Government Security Policy (GSP) of the Government of Canada. It is protected by the provisions of the Privacy Act in institutions that are covered.

Depending on the level of security screening required, the information may be disclosed to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS). They conduct the requisite checks and/or investigation.

Also: An organization may only submit Reliability Screening documentation on behalf of persons who have commenced employment with that organization or who are under contract to commence work within 60 days. see more in this cached version under reliability screening: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-b

As a permanent resident, you will have already undergone some security screening (background checks) prior to your COPR being issued. I believe you will require an updated Police check - just like you did for immigration. (ACRO) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-kingdom.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 19th 2018 at 7:22 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, that's why I'm going through a recruitment agency, as I mentioned. Once you've filled out the Applicant Screening Form they need to do an out-of-country verification if you're a recent immigrant, and you have to supply the police certificate for that yourself.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/esc-sr...ation-eng.html

Out-of-country verifications

Out-of-country verification documentation is required for applicants who have lived outside of Canada continuously for 6 months or longer within the background period under assessment.

Background period to be assessed

5 years for a reliability status

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 19th 2018 at 7:29 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

The confusing thing is, that page you linked to says you need a police certificate authenticated by your country's High Commission in Canada. But I emailed the British High Commission and got a form response saying that they don't authenticate documents.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has actually been through this recently and can say how these contradictions got resolved.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:39 pm
Banned

UESTION: Where employment screening check is required for a position, where do I go to obtain a screening check?

ANSWER: You have the option to obtain a criminal record check electronically using a secure online system accessible 24/7 through the Ontario Public Service Vendor of Record arrangement. More details will be provided by the manager to candidates in the selection phase. If you choose not to use the VOR option outlined above, please be advised that you are required to obtain a criminal record check from a local police service, the Ontario Provincial Police or a Royal Canadian Mounted Police accredited agency. https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Pages/FAQ.aspx

this might be helpful too https://www.canada.ca/en/public-serv...s/gc-jobs.html
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

It's interesting, I actually spoke to someone who works for the Government of Ontario and she said that while technically you do need a full background check to work for them, they have decided that the checks you go through to become a Permanent Resident are more strict than anything they would do, so they don't worry too much about police certificates from abroad.

The Federal Government is different, apparently. They want the full 5 year background check with all the i's dotted and t's crossed.
Banned

Originally Posted by mcdanger
The confusing thing is, that page you linked to says you need a police certificate authenticated by your country's High Commission in Canada. But I emailed the British High Commission and got a form response saying that they don't authenticate documents.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has actually been through this recently and can say how these contradictions got resolved.
Understood - hopefully there's a member here somewhere who has been through it. I thought it interesting that a police check is only required if you have spent 6 months or more in the past 5 years in another country.. presumably, you have?

Calling Former Lancastrian!!!

Just Joined

Yeah, I was in the UK until 2016.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:44 pm
Banned

It's interesting, I actually spoke to someone who works for the Government of Ontario and she said that while technically you do need a full background check to work for them, they have decided that the checks you go through to become a Permanent Resident are more strict than anything they would do, so they don't worry too much about police certificates from abroad.

The Federal Government is different, apparently. They want the full 5 year background check with all the i's dotted and t's crossed.
That sounds promising! Fingers crossed that a vacancy comes up you can apply for!

Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:55 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I did this, as I needed a clearance in a previous employment where there were ITAR-controlled components involved. I don't suppose the system has changed all that much, although that was 6 or 7 years ago now. Because I had been resident in England, I needed the ACPO report (I forget it's exact name; the one that comes from the QANGO in Southampton) to satisfy the foreign police reporting bit. As I understand it, that only applies to police forces in England and Wales; the Scottish police service has their own, and PSNI has a different system again. I imagine that's where your Disclosure Scotland reference comes into play
Old Apr 19th 2018, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Aha. Thanks, this is helpful. I got an ACPO certificate when I applied to become a Permanent Resident, so I can hopefully get one again. (I just had to tick a box where it said 'Have you ever lived in Scotland?' and I think ACPO have to do a bit of extra legwork to check with the Scottish Police.)
Old Apr 19th 2018, 8:17 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've been living in Ottawa for a couple of years now as a Permanent Resident and finally decided that since so many jobs here involve federal government work and need a basic security clearance I should apply for my Enhanced Reliability.

I've applied for it through a recruitment agency but I'm getting the runaround a bit, possibly because it means slightly more work for them than a security clearance for a Canadian citizen.

The most recent reply I got from the agency directed me to the ACRO website to get a police certificate to cover time spent living in the UK over the past five years. I found a few threads on this forum that say you need a Disclosure Scotland certificate, not ACRO, but the threads are all a few years old. Has anyone been through this recently? Is it definitely still Disclosure Scotland? Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process?

Thanks,

McDanger!
You need Disclosure Scotland for your Security Clearance in Canada.

I have done NATO Secret as well as Level 1 SC so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of

Can existing UK security clearance be ‘transferred across’? Or can it expediate the process?

Slightly confused as to why UK police are involved, when it’s UKSV who deal with security clearance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.