Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for Alberta

Advice for Alberta

Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Alberta

Originally Posted by Shard
Will that be your first time there?
We've visited and driven a loop from Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Edmonton to Calgary over a couple of weeks. We really loved Calgary but I haven't been able to get a job from the UK. I'm hoping when I'm out there I'll have a better chance. I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I am a good engineer so I know once I've got my foot in somewhere I'll be fine... it's just getting that foot in
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
We've visited and driven a loop from Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Edmonton to Calgary over a couple of weeks. We really loved Calgary but I haven't been able to get a job from the UK. I'm hoping when I'm out there I'll have a better chance. I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I am a good engineer so I know once I've got my foot in somewhere I'll be fine... it's just getting that foot in
When you're there, make sure you do blow your trumpet, as that's what's expected!
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Whilst there are many anecdotal stories out there about how dire the property market is, and how construction has all but stopped, all I can offer is my personal experiences on the ground.

Infill/tailgate Construction: Very active. I live in an older neighbourhood (mid 50s - now considered "inner-city") and on my block alone there are 4 infill construction projects happening. Expand that radius to the surrounding 3x3 block grid and there something in the order of 15 infill projects. Most neighbourhoods I visit in the city (that allow R-2 infill construction) are experiencing the same boom in infills.

Tract Construction: I have a friend that works sales for one of the new neighbourhood construction companies for about 5 years, and he claims they've never been busier. They're making sales with next to little effort. There's something like 8 large neighbourhoods being developed around the edges of the city.
Just to add to the last paragraph, don’t know about other parts of the city but I drive the HWY2/Deerfoot in SE Calgary many times a week and Macleod weekly and houses and estates are being built at an incredible rate, you can actually see the various landscapes changing weekly.
The way it’s spreading south, in 15yrs, Okotoks will be part of Calgary.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

When you're there, make sure you do blow your trumpet, as that's what's expected!

Do people enjoy singing their own praises then? I'm usually not a blow my own trumpet kind of guy... but I really need a job!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neilg14
Just to add to the last paragraph, don’t know about other parts of the city but I drive the HWY2/Deerfoot in SE Calgary many times a week and Macleod weekly and houses and estates are being built at an incredible rate, you can actually see the various landscapes changing weekly.
The way it’s spreading south, in 15yrs, Okotoks will be part of Calgary.

I'm not yet a resident of Calgary but I have noticed the rapidly changing map and expanding borders. It scares me to be honest, the city is nice as it is, if it continues it'll spread out into a typical north American spread of congestion.

I thought Nenshi was meant to be putting a slow down on urban sprawl.

I know what you mean about Okotoks, I have had that exact thought myself!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Do people enjoy singing their own praises then? I'm usually not a blow my own trumpet kind of guy... but I really need a job!
I don't know if they actively enjoy it, but north American etiquette demands much more 'look how great I am', or at the very least, more 'this is me'. When I first moved here, I certainly wasn't expecting to get the spiel from the guy opening my bank account about his triumphs in life, including raising 2 children whose names and triumphs I also got. Immediately followed by "now Vulcanoid, tell me about you." And I died inside.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:01 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not yet a resident of Calgary but I have noticed the rapidly changing map and expanding borders. It scares me to be honest, the city is nice as it is, if it continues it'll spread out into a typical north American spread of congestion.

I thought Nenshi was meant to be putting a slow down on urban sprawl.

I know what you mean about Okotoks, I have had that exact thought myself!
Long time resident. It's not an issue if you don't live in the distant enclaves. Why would someone else's traffic problems be your concern. In short, don't live in the deep south, or deep north. Or the east/north east for that matter.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I don't know if they actively enjoy it, but north American etiquette demands much more 'look how great I am', or at the very least, more 'this is me'. When I first moved here, I certainly wasn't expecting to get the spiel from the guy opening my bank account about his triumphs in life, including raising 2 children whose names and triumphs I also got. Immediately followed by "now Vulcanoid, tell me about you." And I died inside.
I'm the chief science officer on a USS federation starship, I don't have any kids, but I play a mean game of 3D chess and play the vulcan harp. If you require any further information I am happy to undertake a mind meld.

Old Jan 9th 2018, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

It's interesting that they referred to you by your forum name

I swear to you, that if I find myself in this situation, when they say to me 'so ShakyUK, odd name.. but tell me about yourself'

I'll say straight faced 'I'm a loser and I have a achieved nothing but you impress me immensely'

Long time resident. It's not an issue if you don't live in the distant enclaves. Why would someone else's traffic problems be your concern. In short, don't live in the deep south, or deep north. Or the east/north east for that matter.
Haha your paragraph sums up my concerns if traffic and sprawl have caused such a restrictive recommendation on places to live.

I'm the chief science officer on a USS federation starship, I don't have any kids, but I play a mean game of 3D chess and play the vulcan harp. If you require any further information I am happy to undertake a mind meld.
Live long and prosper.

Last edited by Shakyuk; Jan 9th 2018 at 6:52 am.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope half the children of the world's diplomatic corps introduce themselves as "My father is an Ambassador, and my mother is a human"
Old Jan 9th 2018, 2:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The snag being that one may want to go out of town. Toronto was fine to live in so long as one didn't have need to go beyond the limit of the trams, after that it was couple of hours to get out and a couple of hours to get back in again. It may be, of course, that central Calgary is wonderful and there's nothing much beyond the city limits.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:14 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The snag being that one may want to go out of town. Toronto was fine to live in so long as one didn't have need to go beyond the limit of the trams, after that it was couple of hours to get out and a couple of hours to get back in again. It may be, of course, that central Calgary is wonderful and there's nothing much beyond the city limits.
The rush hour on those major arterial routes (Glenmore Trail, Deerfoot Trail, MacLeod Trail, Crowchild Trail etc) are only jammed up during the rush hours of 7-9 and 4-6. It's pretty easy to avoid those times, and at all other times it's fast free-flowing 80-100kmh+ traffic.

Furthermore, the ring road (Stoney Trail) is almost complete, which will negate the city escape issues during rush hours.

However, if you happen to live in the deep south or north, and need to commute home during those times, you're looking at a minimum of an hour each way. Factor in winter road conditions and it can be double that. But people still want their large detached homes, and are prepared to buy one on the edge of the city where it's more affordable.

Last edited by Photoplex; Jan 9th 2018 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:41 pm
Yo

Furthermore, the ring road (Stoney Trail) is almost complete, which will negate the city escape issues during rush hours.
I guess the only issue is that there's nowhere to escape to.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess the only issue is that there's nowhere to escape to.
I can appreciate a nice bit of nothing ☺
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:45 pm
Yo

I can appreciate a nice bit of nothing ☺
There's something to be said for wide open spaces and big blue skies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.