Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for Alberta

Advice for Alberta

Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Alberta

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Will depend on which part of Alberta you are moving to

True, what I have written is just an overview taken from the paper produced by the Albertan government about the general view of Alberta's economy going forward.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Oiler is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Edmonton for few years now, I have a great job, house. Financially its been very good, but socially its been nothing but a nightmare. I work at a big corporation, at 4pm everyone goes home, there is no going for a beer, nothing like that. And its been like that at any other place I worked at. All my coworkers are married, have houses, after work they drive straight home, that's it. Its all driving culture, typically people live far from work, so they don't take public transportation, they don't walk the streets just get in a car and drive straight home, then to a supermarket, then home. I live in the suburbs where most often there is no one in the streets. People just dont walk the streets unless they are homeless or take their dogs out. In my subdivision sometimes I don't see a single person for days. Its eerie. In my opinion the place its ok if you came with your family, and if you are ok with family life. Making friends, meeting women, very, very hard. If you picky, like classy women, well, that's a big problem. Wast areas of the city are dead, hence the name, Deadmonton. I think soon I am out of here.

Last edited by Oiler; Dec 26th 2017 at 2:06 am.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Fair comment. So where to next Oiler?
Old Dec 31st 2017, 3:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

There always seem to be a lot of murdered prostitutes showing up in Edmonton so someone seems to be able to find single women there.

Personally I think Edmonton is nicer than Calgary, sort of, because it's got more trees and the Saskatchewan River is more impressive. But it's just too far north. And you can meet people, that's what the indoor pool at the WEM is for.

At the end of the day if you come from a country like the UK with a very high population density to Alberta, pop. 4 million and nearly as large as Texas, you're going to find it to be a bit of a shock.

The one thing that does really depress people's social abilities is the weather. That's what the Calgary Stampede is for, if it wasn't for that people wouldn't be able to procreate in Calgary imo. What they do in Edmonton I'm not sure. In Calgary it takes until mid-summer for people to remember how to talk to each other.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shard
Fair comment. So where to next Oiler?

I was thinking somewhere warm...
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:43 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oiler
I lived in Edmonton for few years now, I have a great job, house. Financially its been very good, but socially its been nothing but a nightmare. I work at a big corporation, at 4pm everyone goes home, there is no going for a beer, nothing like that. And its been like that at any other place I worked at. All my coworkers are married, have houses, after work they drive straight home, that's it. Its all driving culture, typically people live far from work, so they don't take public transportation, they don't walk the streets just get in a car and drive straight home, then to a supermarket, then home. I live in the suburbs where most often there is no one in the streets. People just dont walk the streets unless they are homeless or take their dogs out. In my subdivision sometimes I don't see a single person for days. Its eerie. In my opinion the place its ok if you came with your family, and if you are ok with family life. Making friends, meeting women, very, very hard. If you picky, like classy women, well, that's a big problem. Wast areas of the city are dead, hence the name, Deadmonton. I think soon I am out of here.
very true regarding neighborhoods and lack of people..i have lived in my house for a year now on secluded cul de sac.. i have only seen my next door neighbour on my left a few times mainly in the summer..i have no idea who lives to my right or directly opposite as i never see them or anyone else in the immediate vicinity of my house..Xmas was very eerie because it seems most people went away..no cars on drives or lights on ..it think i was the only one home for Xmas in my cul de sac.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Xmas was very eerie because it seems most people went away..no cars on drives or lights on ..it think i was the only one home for Xmas in my cul de sac.

How strange! I wonder where everyone went at Christmas!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
How strange! I wonder where everyone went at Christmas!
Over Christmas I have not seen a single person in my subdivision for 2 days.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Lorno Malvo is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you work at?
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:18 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

which area do you live?..i live in Terwillegar
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Lorno Malvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone in Calgary?

How is the economy?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Has it been the same in your area as Oiler's over Christmas?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorno Malvo
Anyone in Calgary?

How is the economy?

I'll be there in 3 weeks with no job... scary times!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'll be there in 3 weeks with no job... scary times!
Will that be your first time there?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

North West.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.