Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Alberta...

Advice on Alberta...

Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Alberta...

Originally Posted by Photoplex
A thousands times this. No shortage of easterners wading in on topics they know next to nothing about, bar what they've read in the Toronto Sun.
geoff52 doesn't strike me as a Sun reader. Partly that's because he writes in whole sentences but mainly because the Toronto Sun is a conservative, pro-oil, pro-tar-sand-exploitation paper. He may be a forward thinker but to take as a main source of one's news a paper with an editorial stance contrary to one's views seems a stretch. I expect he'll be along to comment for himself and will be interested to see what he says.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:52 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

The city permanently painted the roadway outside city hall in the pride flag colours a few years ago. Worn away now, but was fun to see.
Last year's effort here (bottom right of pic)
Attached Thumbnails Advice on Alberta...-img_2953.jpg  
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:32 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Last year's effort here (bottom right of pic)
Cool! A helpful and relevant contribution!

It looks like they moved it? It was right outside city hall at one point - that looks like Centre St.

Last edited by Photoplex; Apr 20th 2017 at 4:37 am.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Chloepleass is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - I've finally caught up on all of the posts! I am quite surprised at the extent of detail a lot of you have taken the time to go into. You're the best

I appreciate your welcome messages and relevant contributions that have come forth. I have taken note of who are the "go-to" figures on this forum, in terms of advising and offering words of sheer positivity (whilst still being honest)

I really have enjoyed looking at the pictures posted on this thread and can't wait to explore the forum in more depth.

It was an interesting read on here regarding the current situations ref: oil, etc. Your comments paint a somewhat different picture to my knowledge pre-post. When I first signed up to the forum, I browsed around and found a BE Wiki guide on 'The Pros and Cons of Calgary' - unfortunately this stated otherwise reg. various sectors - looks like it might need an update. I'm glad I asked more about this now.

I just want to say thanks again and for the most part, I have heard everything I was hoping to hear.

Here's to the future

Last edited by Chloepleass; Apr 20th 2017 at 9:32 am.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chloepleass
When I first signed up to the forum, I browsed around and found a BE Wiki guide on 'The Pros and Cons of Calgary' - unfortunately this stated otherwise reg. various sectors - looks like it might need an update.
Ah, sounds like that definitely needs an update, it was probably written when there was a boom in Calgary unlike now!

Any Calgary peeps with enough knowledge that have got 5 minutes spare to update it, please do.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not hogwash. Geoff52 is speaking the truth! The economy in Alberta is not good at the moment. Get your head out of the sand.

Mostly hogwash.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:38 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
It's not hogwash. Geoff52 is speaking the truth! The economy in Alberta is not good at the moment. Get your head out of the sand.
I agree although there are signs of it all picking up albeit slowly. I live in between Edmonton and Calgary so maybe the effects have been more obvious here, crime has definitely increased. It's really good to see some we are hiring signs about!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I have read that at present, Alberta's roaring oil/engineering field is flourishing - do we have chances in the medical and technical lines of work there, too? If not, where?
I think your information is way out of date. The global crash in oil and gas prices is hurting Alberta hard . Many Albertan's are now moving, if they haven't already, to BC or back East.

Things are starting to pick up and Alberta is trying to make moves to diversify the economy but right now things are hard.

Alberta bans hiring foreign workers for 29 high-skilled jobs - Edmonton - CBC News
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Chloepleass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I think your information is way out of date.
Unfortunately you are correct - I got the information from an outdated British Expat Wiki Guide.

Thanks for the link - I will definitely check this as soon as I'm home.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately you are correct - I got the information from an outdated British Expat Wiki Guide.

Thanks for the link - I will definitely check this as soon as I'm home.
I only just realized it came across as sounding a little nasty. Wasn't meant too at all. On the plus side Albertan does have some of the highest salaries and lowest taxis so if you can secure jobs there you can make a good living.

My preference is to Edmonton than Calgary. I find Calgary too corporate and too much like Houston or other Texas oil cities. Edmonton has really come along in the past few years.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I think your information is way out of date. The global crash in oil and gas prices is hurting Alberta hard . Many Albertan's are now moving, if they haven't already, to BC or back East.

Things are starting to pick up and Alberta is trying to make moves to diversify the economy but right now things are hard.

Alberta bans hiring foreign workers for 29 high-skilled jobs - Edmonton - CBC News
I don't doubt that the economy in Alberta is not as good as it was a few years ago, but I seriously doubt that there are many Albertans that are relocating to other parts of Canada simply as a result of the economy.

Lots of workers in the oil and gas sectors don't actually reside in Alberta, but reside elsewhere in Canada and commute to Alberta purely for work. The fact that they no longer commute to Alberta for work is not evidence of them changing their residence, merely their place of work and has, for example, no impact upon the hiring of public sector workers which, it would appear, is the only thing the government of Alberta appears to be doing to "diversify the economy."
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:12 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't doubt that the economy in Alberta is not as good as it was a few years ago, but I seriously doubt that there are many Albertans that are relocating to other parts of Canada simply as a result of the economy.

Lots of workers in the oil and gas sectors don't actually reside in Alberta, but reside elsewhere in Canada and commute to Alberta purely for work. The fact that they no longer commute to Alberta for work is not evidence of them changing their residence, merely their place of work and has, for example, no impact upon the hiring of public sector workers which, it would appear, is the only thing the government of Alberta appears to be doing to "diversify the economy."
Agreed i secured a job offer whilst i was still in the UK..Granted i came back to Canada for a week to do it..but had 3 interviews in the space of 3 days..so it can be done.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:16 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I only just realized it came across as sounding a little nasty. Wasn't meant too at all. On the plus side Albertan does have some of the highest salaries and lowest taxis so if you can secure jobs there you can make a good living.

My preference is to Edmonton than Calgary. I find Calgary too corporate and too much like Houston or other Texas oil cities. Edmonton has really come along in the past few years.
The problem is there isn't much space for suitcases if you are considering an airport run
Attached Thumbnails Advice on Alberta...-image.jpeg  
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

This is general post not restricted to this topic.
I do not like to get into fire fights with other contributors on this forum, and I have enough sense just to walk away when people disagree strongly with any of my post. I am not here to win arguments or to make converts.
We all have different views and there is no absolute truth. We live in a world of shades of gray not black and white.
We get most of our information from the media, we can either accept that information or call it fake news.
But we can all be civil to one another on this forum which costs nothing.
Calling some ones post "hogwash" has never been a cogent argument.

Last edited by geoff52; Apr 21st 2017 at 3:41 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Agreed i secured a job offer whilst i was still in the UK..Granted i came back to Canada for a week to do it..but had 3 interviews in the space of 3 days..so it can be done.
Particularly in the two professions mentioned by the OP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.