Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Alberta...

Advice on Alberta...

Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:26 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Alberta...

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Calgary has the stampede and seems to attract a decent number of internationally recognised music artists when compared to other Canadian cities.

Edmonton seemed to have festivals going on all over the summer months!
Calgary has many festivals over the summer too...

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Calgary has a decent small mall, Edmonton has the biggest mall in north America complete with waterpark, theme park, shooting range..
Calgary has 5 large indoor malls... and at least 3 indoor shooting ranges....

Last edited by Photoplex; Apr 19th 2017 at 3:03 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to the forum!

My husband and I moved to Calgary at the beginning of January. We had never been to Canada before. He had a job offer so we just packed up & came along for the ride! We had nothing holding us back in the UK & are both 29 and 30- so why not?! We have a 3 year temp work permit initially.
We arrived the first week in January and it was -35 degrees and snow was piled high. It was a bit daunting but straight away we noticed it didn't seem to stop anyone from doing anything.

The snow went about a month or so ago now in the city- we live in NW Calgary near the Uni & I'm really loving the city & we're not really city people!!
We came from a fairly small seaside village on the north east coast of England but in terms of friendliness- we haven't been able to fault this place.

I got a job pretty quickly & it's really helped me settle in. My manager is gay, 25 yrs old & doesn't have an issue living here at all! I feel like everyone is WAY more open than in the Uk and I for one think it's great! People seem a lot more confortable- there's a huge range of diversity here & the majority of people just seem to get on with it. The openness of people to me shows that people must feel pretty safe & relaxed.

There's loads to do in the city- plenty of really good places to eat & drink. LOADS of shopping to do- plenty different styles of shopping from large decent malls to high streets with awesome little boutique shops. Check out places like Inglewood & Kensington/Sunnyside for people around your age for nights out/shopping. I really enjoy it!

We haven't gotten a car yet (despite a million and one people telling us we wouldn't be able to survive without one) we have- quite easily! We use the public transit system & uber for in the city. Hire a car at weekends to head out. It's all been very easy.

It's still all pretty new to us as well- but if you get out here- give us a shout!! We'll happily show you around a bit & help you get your bearings.

Oh- and you mentioned outdoorsy and liking wildlife- us too! Last night we were just wandering downtown along the river & sat watching a beaver sitting on the river bank & admired the Snowshoe hares as they lose their winter coats. The provincial parks in the city are awesome- we've seen loads! Our first weekend here we went exploring & we saw a porqupine, several coyotes & a skunk! So even in the city wildlife is impressive mid-winter!

Good luck with it all! :-)

Last edited by suzeandmatt; Apr 19th 2017 at 3:07 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:02 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chloepleass
- We are a two-person family, mid-twenties. With an eye to build upon our family within the next five-ten years. A friendly, family-driven environment is a must.
This would accurately describe Calgary.

- We are an LGBT couple and therefore, it is incredibly important we move to a safe area. We have read that Canada's LGBT rights are some of the most advanced in the world and this is incredibly important for us to move somewhere, that is for the most part, accepting of us and our marriage.
A non-issue in Calgary, or rather, no more an issue than any other major city - there are small minded people anywhere you look. There are several LGBT bars and nightclubs in the city, the annual pride parade etc. The city permanently painted the roadway outside city hall in the pride flag colours a few years ago. Worn away now, but was fun to see. I know a lot of professionals that are openly gay (IT, lawyers, doctors etc).

However, if you choose to move to the backwoods of Alberta you may get a few sideways glances though.

- We are into the 'Great Outdoors' - originally, we are from Rural East of England and I suppose, really do fit into the 'Country Bumpkin' lifestyle! We would much rather a hike in the woods, watching the wildlife, spending a chilled-out day on the lakes and visiting country fairs, as opposed to attending concerts, football games, etc. However, it would be nice to have the opportunity of visiting festivals, stadiums within an hour or two.
I came from East Anglia too, although from a market town. Calgary is on the doorstep of the Rockies, Kananaskis, etc. Within a couple of hours are some world class ski resorts such as Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Fernie, Panorama, Kimberely, Kicking Horse. As you can imagine, the opportunity for mountain hikes, picnics at mountain lakes etc is abundant. Edmonton is a full 3 hours further way from all this.

Calgary has a number of festivals over the summer, a few of which are:
  • Sled Island Music Festival
  • Shakespeare in the Park
  • FolkFest
  • Stampede
  • Beakerhead
  • Calgary International Film Festival
  • Comic Con
  • Lilac Festival
  • Opera in the Village
  • Chinatown Street Festival
  • YYComedy Festival
  • Calgary Pride
  • The Big Taste Foodie Festival
  • Globalfest (5 day international fireworks competition)
  • High Performance Rodeo (arts/drama festival - not bull riding!)

- We enjoy shopping and therefore, would appreciate malls with mainstream shops within an hour's drive preferably.
As mentioned, 5 large indoor malls - one in the downtown core which is handy for shopping whilst at work.

- Job opportunities are important to us. My partner is a Registered Dental Nurse and I work for the Government in the IT sector. I have read that at present, Alberta's roaring oil/engineering field is flourishing - do we have chances in the medical and technical lines of work there, too? If not, where?
As mentioned, Alberta is in a recession right now, although it's improving. Medical is always in demand. I work in IT, and there's still demand depending on technical area and skillset.

- In terms of housing, once again, we are used to Rural life. We would appreciate a detached house in a nice neighborhood, as opposed to an apartment/flat in the city. We've read into guides that NW/SW Calgary is nice. Is this true? Is there somewhere more suited based on our factors so far?
Calgary has a population of 1.2m. If you live downtown, it will likely be in a condo/apartnment. We live just southwest of the downtown, considered "inner city", in a new build, in an old mature neighbourhood. The further out you go, the more suburbia it becomes. NW and SW are your best options, although don't go too far south.

Calgary .vs. Edmonton/surrounding areas with our particular situations.
Honestly, as stated above, Calgary is your best bet. It's a more vibrant and cosmopolitan city, far closer to the mountains and recreational activity areas. Calgary is a white collar city, Edmonton is a blue collar city. In my less than humble opinion, Edmonton is also a pretty ugly, low rise, and quite smelly city.

Last edited by Photoplex; Apr 19th 2017 at 3:05 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:49 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
This would accurately describe Calgary.

Honestly, as stated above, Calgary is your best bet. It's a more vibrant and cosmopolitan city, far closer to the mountains and recreational activity areas. Calgary is a white collar city, Edmonton is a blue collar city. In my less than humble opinion, Edmonton is also a pretty ugly, low rise, and quite smelly city.
i dont think this a Calgary v Edmonton question...However Edmonton is neither low rise or smelly..no more so than Calgary..
Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all!

This is my first post - eek! So, I just want to say hi to you all - I have been watching this forum for a good while now and have finally signed up for an account

I was hoping to get your advice. Me and my OH are planning on eventually moving to Canada (yay!!) Our hearts are set on the beautiful scenery, cultures, jobs and educational opportunities and overall, what seems to be a lifestyle more suited towards us.

We have been researching into various states and figured what better advice could we get than from someone who has the full-on Canadian experience.

We have whittled the provinces down and have our eyes set on Alberta - from what we have researched we are closing in on Calgary .vs. Edmonton (however we are open to suggestions following our factors to come...)

We are hoping to gain some kind of outlook on an area within Alberta that would be most suited to us...

- We are a two-person family, mid-twenties. With an eye to build upon our family within the next five-ten years. A friendly, family-driven environment is a must.
- We are an LGBT couple and therefore, it is incredibly important we move to a safe area. We have read that Canada's LGBT rights are some of the most advanced in the world and this is incredibly important for us to move somewhere, that is for the most part, accepting of us and our marriage.
- We are into the 'Great Outdoors' - originally, we are from Rural East of England and I suppose, really do fit into the 'Country Bumpkin' lifestyle! We would much rather a hike in the woods, watching the wildlife, spending a chilled-out day on the lakes and visiting country fairs, as opposed to attending concerts, football games, etc. However, it would be nice to have the opportunity of visiting festivals, stadiums within an hour or two.
- We enjoy shopping and therefore, would appreciate malls with mainstream shops within an hour's drive preferably.
- Job opportunities are important to us. My partner is a Registered Dental Nurse and I work for the Government in the IT sector. I have read that at present, Alberta's roaring oil/engineering field is flourishing - do we have chances in the medical and technical lines of work there, too? If not, where?
- In terms of housing, once again, we are used to Rural life. We would appreciate a detached house in a nice neighborhood, as opposed to an apartment/flat in the city. We've read into guides that NW/SW Calgary is nice. Is this true? Is there somewhere more suited based on our factors so far?
- Weather doesn't bother us greatly. To be honest, so long as we get a mix of warm heat/snowy weather that's all we care about. We don't mind wind, snow, etc. We've heard of Chinooks.

I'm desperately trying to think of what else could be an important factor in moving, but that's all I have for now... I appreciate there's probably been thousands of posts on this, but I couldn't find one specifically on Calgary .vs. Edmonton/surrounding areas with our particular situations.

I appreciate all of your future responses, you guys seem so helpful and friendly in your other threads!

Have a great day!
The priorities of people when they are planning to move amuses me at times.
The first question is jobs second question is jobs the third question is jobs.
Nothing will pay the bills if you don't have a job. You wont have a life style without a job.
I have been to Calgary, personally it would not be my place of choice to live. Its economy is mainly based on oil, great deal of Alberta government revenue comes from oil activity. Which is subject to boom and bust cycle. All the amenities that the government provides are mostly linked to the oil revenue. Alberta used to be one of the richest provinces in Canada. Oil price experts tell us price of oil is unlikely to recover soon. The oil sands cause major pollution and the oil extraction from the sands is not cheap.
Decrease in Alberta Government revenue has meant a lot of cutbacks in all sectors.
The people who have posted on this thread may have cushy jobs and are maybe doing well, but also remember there is also lot of human suffering due to job losses.
I make no apology if I have painted a bleaker picture of the Province than many of the other contributes, but there is always two sides to every story.

Last edited by geoff52; Apr 19th 2017 at 10:30 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Now finding a job in Alberta has just been limited for temporary foreign workers
Alberta bars hiring foreign workers for 29 high-skilled jobs - Edmonton - CBC News
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Nothing will pay the bills if you don't have a job. You wont have a life style without a job.
I have been to Calgary, personally it would not be my place of choice to live. Its economy is mainly based on oil, great deal of Alberta government revenue comes from oil activity. Which is subject to boom and bust cycle. All the amenities that the government provides are mostly linked to the oil revenue. Alberta used to be one of the richest provinces in Canada. Oil price experts tell us price of oil is unlikely to recover soon. The oil sands cause major pollution and the oil extraction from the sands is not cheap.
Decrease in Alberta Government revenue has meant a lot of cutbacks in all sectors.
The people who have posted on this thread may have cushy jobs and are maybe doing well, but also remember there is also lot of human suffering due to job losses.
I make no apology if I have painted a bleaker picture of the Province than many of the other contributes, but there is always two sides to every story.
How long have you spent in Calgary? What sectors has the Alberta Government had to cut back on?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:18 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mostly hogwash.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

The death of the Alberta dream
The death of the Alberta dream - Macleans.ca
Large-scale layoffs, empty office towers, falling house prices: Alberta has been gutted by the glut.

Alberta's report card reveals scars of economic upheaval, signs of recovery

Varcoe: Report shows Alberta’s economic turmoil but signs of recovery | Calgary Herald

Report card day arrived late last week as the provincial Finance Department unveiled its “Year in Review” study on Alberta’s sputtering economy in 2016.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:07 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

The death of the Alberta dream
The death of the Alberta dream - Macleans.ca
Large-scale layoffs, empty office towers, falling house prices: Alberta has been gutted by the glut.

Alberta's report card reveals scars of economic upheaval, signs of recovery

Varcoe: Report shows Alberta’s economic turmoil but signs of recovery | Calgary Herald

Report card day arrived late last week as the provincial Finance Department unveiled its “Year in Review” study on Alberta’s sputtering economy in 2016.
I was just thinking what fantastic contributions which were really helpful to the OP were being made and then you popped up. You have an uncanny knack of posting in threads you clearly know nothing about.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I was just thinking what fantastic contributions which were really helpful to the OP were being made and then you popped up. You have an uncanny knack of posting in threads you clearly know nothing about.
It's not unfair to say that Alberta has a boom and bust economy due to dependence on the oil industry, is it?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:16 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not unfair to say that Alberta has a boom and bust economy due to dependence on the oil industry, is it?
As usual, focus on the single grain of truth inside the festering pile of turd. Nothing if not consistent.

Last edited by Photoplex; Apr 20th 2017 at 1:20 am.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
As usual, focus on the single grain of truth inside the festering pile of turd. Nothing if not consistent.
He's also right about the tar sands.

These things may not matter to someone who wants to live in a gay version of Heartbeat but then neither does the constant repetition of how residents of Calgary can tell that it's different from, and better than, Edmonton. If someone is willing to go to either of them they're plainly not a city person.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:36 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Of course it has although quoting a piece from Feb 2016 is scarcely hot off the press- the Varcoe piece talks about recovery. I would way prefer to take notice of the inhabitants of Calgary rather than someone quoting old news who has clearly minimal knowledge of the City or the Province- but he has visited it so that holds loads of weight... Talking about cushy jobs is a tad patronising- the OP sounds perfectly on the ball enough to make a decision to work out if they and their partner are employable.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Apr 20th 2017 at 1:51 am. Reason: I was eating my tea at the time
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:39 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Of course it is- although quoting a piece from Feb 2016 is scarcely hot off the press- the Varcoe piece talks about recovery. I would way prefer to take notice of the inhabitants of Calgary rather than someone quoting old news who has clearly minimal knowledge of the City nor the Province- but he has visited it so that holds loads of weight... Talking about cushy jobs is a tad patronising- the OP sounds perfectly diffidently on the ball enough to make a decision to work out if they and their partner are employable.
A thousands times this. No shortage of easterners wading in on topics they know next to nothing about, bar what they've read in the Toronto Sun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.