Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Adjusting in Canada in year 1

Advice on Adjusting in Canada in year 1

Old Sep 12th 2017, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Adjusting in Canada in year 1

Aha - we buy the sausage skins from Lakeland when in the UK, buy pork shoulder and make our own! Strongly recommended!
Old Sep 12th 2017, 3:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inabsentia_
I've been here a bit over 2 years and I can tell you: it never stops. Whilst I don't actively compare prices or anything like that, it's a bit difficult not to compare the vast differences in architecture, culture, food and so on because they're so frequently encountered.
You experience of 2 year, not everyone's. We live life in Canada, for what it is.

As an example: In Canada anything early or pre-1900's is considered old - that isn't old, at all.
Anything from 1900 is old, 117 years, our landscape is very old, much older than 1900 and far more valuable than a few old buildings.

Also, there is this weird concept of Canadian values that is pushed (obscene politeness, resilience, "we're like Europe" etc.) which is simply false. (I'm pretty certain "sorry, thank you and please" are said way more in the UK).
Not found that at all.

It also shadows the U.S. in business practices such as the bizarre banking system, tipping, little to no consumer or employee protection laws
Of course, the US is our closest and biggest trading partner, for how long who knows.

The reality is that you're not imagining things, it is better in the UK/Europe. So the question is, why stay here?
Seems like you made a poor choice coming to Canada?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 3:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP. It's been my experience that one endures rather than adjusts.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
To the OP. It's been my experience that one endures rather than adjusts.
You do seem to endure mightily well judging by your posts. Combining the urban Vancouverite lifestyle of the well-to-do condo dweller, with your love of sport fishing and alcohol consumption, life doesn't seem to be that much of a chore does it?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
...life doesn't seem to be that much of a chore does it?
Originally Posted by Oink
What chores?
All together now....I'll have a large scotch, thank you.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Hi Folks,

My family and I moved to Ontario from the U.K back in January.
We moved because I had secured a job here on a TFWP. It has to be said that I am not enjoying this particular position as it is certainly not very challenging and it is in a very remote and rural part of Ontario.
I plan to change this when my P.R comes through.
It has to be said that my Wife and kids were against the move from early doors and make constant comparison to things back home like shopping and food etc etc.
There is no doubt that it is tough moving to a new country for everyone and I feel for my Wife and kids as they had a much larger family network on her side. There is no one living on my side anymore that I would call close.
The education system here in Canada seems to be a far cry from the standards we were accustomed to in the U.K and like me my kids feel unchallenged and that they are not moving forward. In general discipline in the class seems to be in short supply and there is practically no homework not to mention spelling and tables being forgotten about.
Obviously we are football (soccer) nuts in the U.K and my son has done well coming in here and is now playing for two teams.
I understand and respect that Hockey is the national sport here in fact its more like a religion, even school revolves around hockey games!!
My wife has just got her open work permit and is applying for jobs. I am hoping this will open doors and get her to meet women her own age. Its tough being a stay at home Mum I am sure of that.
I suppose I am asking for advice to help us survive and get over this difficult period.
Is there any difference in Eastern or Western Canada in terms of where the rest of the Brit Ex Pats settle down and bring their culture with them.
I enjoy Canada and have even managed to take up Golf. Something I thought I would never say!! There are many freedoms over here and I feel that Canada has much more to offer. I am sure I am not the 1st person on here to express these issues but I just wanted to reach out for advice.

Thanks

Farmboy.
hi Farmboy
I grew up in Northern Ireland (as my kids keep reminding me its Norn Iron) but moved to Scotland after uni. Lived there for 18 years and have been here for 5. Went through all you did as it's an adjustment. Having always worked and then to come here and stare at four walls for some months was awful. I totally feel for your wife! Once she gets her clearance to get out and look for a job it will be so much better. That's what made it for me.
We got our PR after being here for 3 years and love life here. I can FaceTime my brother and show him what summer should look like!
Yes the shopping is poor and online is rather limited and slow but I don't plan on going back. Just bought our first house here and love being here. We are on the west coast on Vancouver Island.
Hope it all works out.
My three kids (same order as yours) love it here and schooling (although different) is just as good. We don't compare anymore but that has taken some years!!
Best wishes
J&V
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

<Waves to fellow person stuck on the Rock>

Useful advice: Sobeys in Paradise. Salt & Pepper Sausages. Best I've found in 13 years of living here. They make 'em in house. Not seen them in any other Sobeys.

Less useful comment: Sticker shock on the price of fresh veggies & fruit here doesn't go. It only gets worse when you travel back to UK or mainland Canada. The Supply Chain to get stuff here is long and expensive so it's something you have to learn to live with.

If you need any British company, I know a few who are can be usually talked into a beer or coffee. Well beer definitely.
hello fellow rocker! thanks for the tip on the sausage holy grail. It's interesting that you only get them in Paradise; a colleague mentioned Paradise Sobey's stocking items that no other branch does. There will be a grocery shop there at the weekend, and sausages will get tested. I'll make potato bread and soda farls and make it a big Ulster fry. Hubby and I could also be enticed with beer or coffee ( or wine... we are not fussy). Would be great to meet some people, and could someone talk to him about football; or argue, depending on who they support lol.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:04 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You do seem to endure mightily well judging by your posts. Combining the urban Vancouverite lifestyle of the well-to-do condo dweller, with your love of sport fishing and alcohol consumption, life doesn't seem to be that much of a chore does it?
Indeed. Nail on head. Care to elaborate Mr O?
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie
Aha - we buy the sausage skins from Lakeland when in the UK, buy pork shoulder and make our own! Strongly recommended!
that's looking more and more like an option! We are going home next month, and I'm visiting a butcher's for info. I'm looking at meat grinders/ sausage stuffers online. Will have to visit lakeland!
Old Sep 13th 2017, 12:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShirleyEB
hello fellow rocker! thanks for the tip on the sausage holy grail. It's interesting that you only get them in Paradise; a colleague mentioned Paradise Sobey's stocking items that no other branch does. There will be a grocery shop there at the weekend, and sausages will get tested. I'll make potato bread and soda farls and make it a big Ulster fry. Hubby and I could also be enticed with beer or coffee ( or wine... we are not fussy). Would be great to meet some people, and could someone talk to him about football; or argue, depending on who they support lol.
https://theovercast.ca/sobeys-paradi...ghting-locals/ I think I read somewhere that it was the first of a new style store for Sobeys. It certainly has an enormous produce section, good deli (although the cheese is still horribly expensive as this is Canada) and a decent bakery. The dry grocery section is small in comparison to other stores & although the meat is OK, Costco is still the best place to go for beef.) It also has the attached liquor store. Which is nice.

Happy to meet sometime. Can't help with the football chat as I'm that rare thing, a Brit who isn't interested in footie. Aside from that I'm reasonably sociable.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 12:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by ShirleyEB
that's looking more and more like an option! We are going home next month, and I'm visiting a butcher's for info. I'm looking at meat grinders/ sausage stuffers online. Will have to visit lakeland!
Princess Auto (Stavanger drive, nr Costco), somewhat oddly for a store with "auto" in the title, sells a whole range of sausage making equipment. A Scots gent of my acquaintance, now sadly returned to UK, use to make his own sausages using their gear.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

AfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Left Eye
I wish the U.K protected their borders better!!

Yeah, that made me laugh...as a Canadian I spent about 5000 pounds and it was 10 years before I got leave to remain in the UK. And that was being married to a Brit!

My husband fills out some forms, pays $1000 and gets Canadian PR from day one.

If you do it properly, and you are non EU, the UK is very hard to immigrate to - despite what the Daily Fail proclaims.
Spot on. UK immigration is much tougher than Canadian. I have been here ten years and the rules are insane. In fact it's mostly set up to ensure you fail. You pay extornate fees (see here)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/01/home-office-makes-800-profit-on-some-visa-applications.
You to pay these fees for every member of your family depending on your every 2.5 years. Canada's immigration process is less stressful than UK.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

https://theovercast.ca/sobeys-paradi...ghting-locals/ I think I read somewhere that it was the first of a new style store for Sobeys. It certainly has an enormous produce section, good deli (although the cheese is still horribly expensive as this is Canada) and a decent bakery. The dry grocery section is small in comparison to other stores & although the meat is OK, Costco is still the best place to go for beef.) It also has the attached liquor store. Which is nice.

Happy to meet sometime. Can't help with the football chat as I'm that rare thing, a Brit who isn't interested in footie. Aside from that I'm reasonably sociable.
Hubby is Sobey's employee- a transfer to the exotic branch in Paradise might be good. Interesting to see the first of their new style was put in NL! Will PM re meet- and I'm with you on the football- puts me to sleep lol thanks also for info re sausages making- yes i wouldn't have equated auto with this- maybe the connection is bangers!
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:31 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie;12336xx680
You can buy sausage skins here you know.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Good Morning Folks,

To clarify we are in S W Ontario about 20-30 mins out of London in a small hockey town.
Farmboy
*Waves from London, ON*

Hey Farmboy, Do you come into London much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.