Reload this Page >

Accountant moving to canada!

Accountant moving to canada!

Old Jan 30th 2024, 11:13 am
Just Joined

m_haines is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountant moving to canada!

Hi!!

I am currently in the UK as a AAT qualified accountant (not chartered). I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction! Is there a course I can take to learn Canadian tax laws or are they quiet similar to learn? I have read a few job advertisements and they are wanting sage experience which I have a lot off. I'm just wondering what other accountants did to get a good job over there?

My husband is hoping to land a job and hopefully we will be over in June!!

Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2024, 10:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountant moving to canada!

A few thoughts:

AAT is not really recognized. Your best bet is to enrol as a student in the CPA program. You might get some credits for your AAT passes. There are good courses in tax and business law in the CPA program which will be very useful. If you are looking for a career in accounting I strongly recommend you consider qualifying as a CPA. It can be done part-time. The designation will open a LOT of doors for you.

If you don't want to enrol in the CPA program, complimentary courses are often available in tertiary colleges (choose ones that are approved by CPA for conversion into their program). You will need to check on colleges where you will be heading. In Metro Vancouver you would look at BCIT, in Calgary SAIT, and so on.

There are jobs available for accountants who are not fully qualified as financial controllers in smaller companies. I would guess that nearly half of small companies use Sage. Recruitment agencies do not handle these type of jobs. They are either advertised in local classified listings, mostly online, or are part of the "invisible" job market. An "invisible" job may fall into your lap but you usually find them by networking.

In small companies the financial controller is expected to look after payroll and sales tax preparation and filing. You can find yourself at a disadvantage to a local who is used to these so it is worthwhile making sure you know what needs to be done, and how.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an accountant but come across them a lot in my line of work. In NS, at least, there are fully CPA qualified accountants and then people who are book keepers, some of whom call themselves accountants. I find Canada does not value qualifications from other countries, which is insane given the superior quality in the UK of many professions.

I would also add that Quickbooks seems to be the software of choice for a lot of these positions. My wife had occasion to do some training online with them and found it excellent, on a par with the Sage training.
Old Feb 5th 2024, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I am not an accountant but come across them a lot in my line of work. In NS, at least, there are fully CPA qualified accountants and then people who are book keepers, some of whom call themselves accountants. I find Canada does not value qualifications from other countries, which is insane given the superior quality in the UK of many professions.

I would also add that Quickbooks seems to be the software of choice for a lot of these positions. My wife had occasion to do some training online with them and found it excellent, on a par with the Sage training.
thats brill, thank you
Old Feb 5th 2024, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much!! I'll have a search for courses!!!
Old Feb 6th 2024, 12:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
... I find Canada does not value qualifications from other countries, which is insane given the superior quality in the UK of many professions.
ICAEW or ACCA are wonderful qualifications. That said, if I was looking for someone to prepare my Canadian tax return I would choose someone who is qualified to do so.