Reload this Page >

Account in Vancouver for living in canada working for UK contract

Account in Vancouver for living in canada working for UK contract

Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

riazuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Account in Vancouver for living in canada working for UK contract

Hi
I am looking for an accountant to assist me with getting setup in Canada (Vancouver) and working remotely for a UK company.

About me.
I have been in Vancouver for nearly 2 months.
I am technically a visitor.
Application for PR via common law spouse is underway
Application for Work Permit should be sent very soon (Waiting for file number of the above). Have been told ETA for work permit is approx 4 weeks from application
I have a 6 month contract for a UK company. They have no presence in canada and all my work will be remote. The contract is in GBP.
I have UK and Canada bank accounts and plan to transfer the pay to Canada via TransferWise

I am looking for an account who can assist me with all the Canadian laws.
Advise on GST/HST etc
Advise on self employed or incorporated
Advise or perform tax returns

Thanks for your time
Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Account in Vancouver for living in canada working for UK contract

Welcome to BE

You can just register your own >sorry, 'business not company' < (no incorporation needed) as self employed / sole trader, get a business number and also a GST/HST number (once you hit $30k income). You can offset your business expenses (internet, phone, proportion of living accommodation used for working - bills/rent etc). You can download software (approved by Canada Revenue) to prepare your tax return.

In honesty, you don't really need an accountant and you can work remotely without having a work permit.

I also work remotely for a UK company.. there's a few people who do on BE!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 30th 2017 at 11:39 pm. Reason: Ooops thanks Aviator, I was in a rush :)
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

OneStop Business Registry

All you need in one spot.

You don't have to register a business (a 'Company' is an incorporated business). If revenues above the threshold of $35,000 pa, you need to get a GST account, even though you don't charge GST to an overseas business.

Non-residents of Canada
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE
In honesty, you don't really need an accountant and you can work remotely without having a work permit.
So I have been told by my immigration lawyer, however the UK companies HR department is being extra cautious and requiring "proof" that this is the case.

I dont suppose you or someone on here could assist me with where I can get proof that I can work remotely from Canada for a UK company and not require a work permit?

Did you have to provide any documentation of proof of this or anything else with your setup?

Also did you have to get liability insurance? was it difficult to get one to cover this considering the cross boarder nature?
Old Jul 1st 2017, 1:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riazuk
So I have been told by my immigration lawyer, however the UK companies HR department is being extra cautious and requiring "proof" that this is the case.

I dont suppose you or someone on here could assist me with where I can get proof that I can work remotely from Canada for a UK company and not require a work permit?

Did you have to provide any documentation of proof of this or anything else with your setup?

Also did you have to get liability insurance? was it difficult to get one to cover this considering the cross boarder nature?
Temporary Foreign Worker and International Mobility Programs: What is work?

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.

long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
I am already a PR so didn't have to prove anything, however, the CIC website is pretty clear on this.

I added on 'use of home office' to my normal household insurance - as I am providing a service and not a physical item (and nobody is coming to my property) - which includes some liability insurance. Mine is through TD, it costs me around $23 a month extra.

Hope that's of help..

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Hi Siouxie
Thats great help so far.
I have drafted the below to try to detail all the legal points. Could you or anyone else here possibly read over this to see if it all seems in order and correct?

The idea is to give a easy to follow but detailed assessment on why said company can pay for my services while I am in Canada and working remotely for them before I get my work permit (they have no business in Canada).

I really appreciate all the help so far and feel like I have made more headway in the past couple of days than in weeks of going around in circles.

Thanks again, see draft below, all opinions and help appreciated

Hi xxxxx
Please find an overview of my findings regarding working for you remotely in Canada without a work permit.

The short answer is that working remotely does not count as "work" by the government of Canada and thus could be done without a work permit, and that at least for the next 12 months I would still be a UK tax resident and pay all UK taxes.

Detailed overview and assesment
I will detail fully information below which shows that working remotely for you would be considered "long distance (by telephone or Internet)" and is not considered as "work" by Canada's regulations as long as it does not "compete directly". The expected work would not compete as it could not be a job fulfilled by any other Canadian Resident nor would it be considered competitive in the marketplace. I would be liable to pay UK taxes for the duration of the contract with [UK-Company] even after I got a work permit, in Canada I would be considered a "non-resident for tax purposes". This would be reviewed and potentially change after I receive my PR (permanent residency) due ~July 2018.

The key information points are:
1. If I am allowed to "work" in Canada
2. Does working remotely for [UK-Company] count as work
3. What is my tax residency status
4. Where I should pay tax

Point 1. If I am allowed to "work" in Canada
The short answer is no I am not allowed to do anything Canada would consider "Work" until my work permit arrives. However as point 2 will detail, "long distance" work is not classified as "Work" by the Government of Canada and so I could start working for you even without my work permit.

Point 2. Does working remotely for [UK-Company] count as work
This is the critical point. as speculated in the "Temporary Foreign Worker and International Mobility Programs: What is work?" document below clearly shows that this activity would not be considered work by the Government of Canada.

Temporary Foreign Worker and International Mobility Programs: What is work?

Under the section "What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?" it states that:
  • An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
It then goes on to give a specific example of what would not be considered work as:
  • long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada
Additionally the "activity" (work) would also not be considered as "competes directly" which would
  • Will they be doing an activity that a Canadian or permanent resident should really have an opportunity to do? [NO]
  • Will they be engaging in a business activity that is competitive in the marketplace? [NO]
Therefore I could commence this contract immediately without having to wait for the work permit as far as the Government of Canada is concerned.

Point 3: What is my tax residency status
Before I get my PR (Permanent Residency) status in Canada (Expected July 2018):
UK Status = UK-Resident for tax purposes
Canada Status = Non-Resident for tax purposes

After I get my PR this would be reviewed, at this point I would file the HMRC form "United Kingdom/Canada Double Taxation Convention (SI 1980 Number 709 and Protocols)" to remove my UK residency tax purpose and as I would no longer be a tax residency in the UK would no longer be deemed "Non-Resident" in Canada.
After I get my PR (Permanent Residency) status in Canada (Expected July 2018):
UK Status = Non-Resident
Canada Status = Resident

I have attached the following proof and informational links:
* HMRC Tax Residence Indicator = See "SRT - XXXXXX.pdf" (source: HM Revenue & Customs: Service unavailable )
* CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) residency status = Determining your residency status
* Note from "Deemed Residency = "If you are a deemed resident of Canada, and also establish residential ties in a country with which Canada has a tax treaty and you are considered to be a resident of that country for the purposes of that tax treaty, you may be considered a deemed non-resident of Canada for tax purposes." Deemed residents
* Tax requirements for Non-resident of Canada = Non-residents of Canada

Point 4: Where I should pay tax
For the income I receive from [UK-Company] (along with any other UK income) in £ to my UK bank account. I would file this with HMRC self assessment.
For any income I may receive from Canada, I would file this with the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency).
This would stay this way until I became a resident with Canada AND filed "United Kingdom/Canada Double Taxation Convention (SI 1980 Number 709 and Protocols)"

The attached file "SRT - XXXXXX.pdf" is a result from HMRC showing I would be considered a tax resident of UK.